Accidentally Recreated the big bang.

Please come here to inform us of new and interesting bugs so we can hunt them down and destroy them! Pics and videos demonstrating these bugs are also welcome!
casauchi

Accidentally Recreated the big bang.

Post by casauchi » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:49 am

edit #1 youtube proof link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKZJ9frJFgQ

Game save is here; https://mega.co.nz/#!tYk1xQoS!_SXDLz7mH ... Acqcx2F-CI NOTE: Go to the boss closest in range. Bug will happen.

----------------------------
Bug Report
Game Version: Pre-beta 1
Date and Time Encountered (DD/MM/YY, HH:MM (12h format)): 13/06/2015 10am gmt
Possible Conflicting Software (such as firewalls and anti-virus): n/a
Severity: only a small issue if you enjoy 1fps
Description of Bug: view attached screenshots
Steps to Reproduce: ram a ship that is not registered as an enemy ( enemy was the grim cutlass )
Possible Workaround: don't do it.
Screenshots and/or Video:

Notes: There was an infinite number of ships spawning and instantly blowing up. causing this wreck to be viewed from the complete other side of the galaxy.
Grabbed video from it, in the rendering process. Will edit this post and throw it up.

BinaryExterminator
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Accidentally Recreated the big bang.

Post by BinaryExterminator » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:21 am

This was probably the most ridiculous bug I've seen in this game for a long time.

To elaborate, we were in a ship that I'd spend a couple of hours upgrading the day before (with "hacked" credits)

I sent Casauchi the save file so he could host

We got on fine for a while, then entered the Grim Cutlass' sector

Immediately we noticed the GC was 66km away (not sure if that's odd, I haven't encountered it before), but also that there was a "ghost ship" only a couple of kilometers directly in front of us, an intrepid with fully functional shields, but making no attempt to move or shoot us.

The GC started shooting at us, so we began to engage it. I fired a nuke, and soon after everything turned to shit - I'm not sure if my nuke was related to the bug or not, however I have noticed that nukes don't disappear when detonated, instead detonating (but not ever doing any damage) every time you press Detonate. As I said, not sure if it's related, but objects not despawning in the scene does seem to be a recurring theme.

We think what was happening was that GCs were spawning inside each other repeatedly (and infinitely, proven by the "12,000 destroyed ships" by the time the game finally crashed for casauchi), causing an absolutely HUGE amount of scrap to spawn and bring us down to 1 FPS almost instantly. We think this because the scrap wasn't just spawning, it was accompanied by a explosions sounding constantly and even a massive white cloud of what I think was the particle effects stacking up.

We managed to jump to a different sector, and it actually followed us. We got marginally better frames during warp, but we could still hear the explosions, and the instant we left warp our FPS crashed to literally 1 or 2 again. We'd been searching for a planet to try and switch scenes (hoping that might have refreshed the ship's scene) for about 20 minutes, with the new ships spawning non-stop, when casauchi's game finally crashed.
"You win again, gravity!"

I usually play as Wilson505 in Pulsar, so now you know who to send angry PMs to when I accidentally break things on your ship...

cptslog
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by cptslog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks for the reports!

Haven't ran into these issues before but I will do some testing to track down the problem.

Pre Beta 1.1 might help since it fixes some internal systems that could cause all sorts of havoc but it has no specific fixes for this!

I'll get back to you when I know more!

EDIT: Added the teleportation problem to known issues. It seems to be caused by transferring cargo from a planet while the ship has no available cargo slots. It should be fixed in the next update after 1.1!

Haven't yet tracked down the "big bang" bug

We found a temporary solution to the teleportation bug: sell or eject the first piece of cargo out the airlock. The "hidden" cargo should appear in that slot and fix the problem!

I can't seem to load save files in 1.1 at all. It seems I managed to break something in the loading process so that's wonderful. It should be fixed in the next update!

Just released Pre Beta 1.1h on Steam that should (hopefully) fix the loading issue and prevent transferring cargo from a planet when no cargo slots are available. You may still have to dump or sell cargo to get rid of the "hidden cargo" if it is saved or the problem will still be present.

dirtoselbago

Post by dirtoselbago » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:05 pm

I saw this. No nuke involved. Came into area, GC was very far but there was a well ghost ship isbest wayto put it. Ignored ghost wentfor kill on GC and the sky jus tshattered
When GC blew.

cptslog
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by cptslog » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:13 am

So far I been unable to replicate the multiple GC or big bang bug from the attached save file or in a fresh game.

Providing the output log file immediately after one of these bugs occur may help me track it down faster.

I will keep testing and hopefully get it to happen to me!

EDIT: I have found a potential problem with how ships are spawned. Still haven't been able to replicate the problem but this might be a clue.