Save Files Disappearing

Please come here to inform us of new and interesting bugs so we can hunt them down and destroy them! Pics and videos demonstrating these bugs are also welcome!
Dragon

Save Files Disappearing

Post by Dragon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:23 am

I've been hosting a game for a while, It's currently got a level 40 crew. I constantly have issues when trying to load my game where I look for the save file and cannot find it.

To test this bug I created a new save by the name of "FreshSave.plsave" and set the time between saves to 2 mins (the minimum). I waited for a few autosaves and reloaded the save, but otherwise nothing. I decided to blow the ship up and load from an autosave as a potential catalyst, and was able to reproduce the issue after a few autosaves.

I took a look in the log file and found some stuff that looked like it deleting my save to make room for another, I will post the lines below. I took some screenshots of the local folder and of the autosave prompts as they appeared in game.
  • SafeSyncTimestampOnLocalFileToRemote : Saves/Autosaves/autosave2.plsave
    OnRemoteFileWriteAsyncComplete: k_EResultOK
    successful SteamRemoteStorage.FileForget: Saves/Local/FreshSave.plsave
    overwriting local save: Saves/Local/FreshSave.plsave
First save
"FreshSave.plsave" as it appeared in my local saves folder
The autosaves on screen in which I noticed my save missing
Folder devoid of "FreshSave"

cptslog
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Save Files Disappearing

Post by cptslog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Hello Dragon,

Thanks for the report and sorry for the issue! The Saves/Local folder isn't really for direct use by the user, it should only be used to store files once the limit is reached on the Steam Cloud. We decided to store them in the Local folder instead of just deleting them outright when this situation happens as a sort of local backup.

If you move the save out of the Saves/Local folder does that help? Did you save it in Saves/Local on purpose or did the game move it in there at some point? How many saves do you have on the Steam Cloud for PULSAR? The Load Game menu should show in the bottom right. If you've maxed out the cloud quota than the game could be trying to move it into Local to prevent it from being deleted.

I'll take another look and test the cloud save system some more. Not sure if we tested a player creating a Local save themselves since that was meant to be the save system's job.

Hope we can get this sorted out, we definitely don't want any saves being lost

Could we get the output log file after this occurs? The errors you provided were helpful but I could use some more info. Instructions : http://www.pulsarthegame.com/sending-an-output-log-file

Dragon

Re: Save Files Disappearing

Post by Dragon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello Cptslog
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been trying to reproduce the bug in a vanilla client for the past few days, but haven't had any luck. The few times I've been able to reproduce it were with a modded client, but I didn't think that would affect it at the time of posting. I'm sorry for wasting your time with this post.