targeting and programs/viruses

Please come here to inform us of new and interesting bugs so we can hunt them down and destroy them! Pics and videos demonstrating these bugs are also welcome!
CaptMaverick

targeting and programs/viruses

Post by CaptMaverick » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi team, love the game! hadn't played it for a while and love all the new missions and stories that have been added, and the bots are much more useful now!

my question is about viruses/programs and why they sometimes don't work. In my current playthrough the AOG ship we can't get viruses to work unless we are in the middle of a battle. Gentleman's welcome doesn't even target the enemy ship, even if we are at red alert, until we are having a firefight with them.

here's my steps: Warp into location all stealthy, low enegy signature.

find the enemy ship.

Captain right clicks on the enemy ship in the top right, targeting them as a red highlight.

Chuckle to ourselves and execute Gentleman's welcome.

We watch the timer countdown with no ships listed underneath, and nothing happens.

Perplexed we run Siphon credits, Phalanx, and sitting duck, all don't list any targets.

eventually we engage the other ship in a firefight and at some point the viruses start targeting them.

I remember on previous versions being able to infect and infiltrate ships. Has something changed? Are we doing it wrong? is there now a distance that viruses and GW won't work from? Is this a bug? or is there a new balancing thing i am unaware of?

Thanks, looking forward to any advice you can give me!

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: targeting and programs/viruses

Post by Edinstein » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:37 am

Hey CaptMaverick!

I just attempted to replicate this issue following the steps you provided and the viruses I executed were able to target and infect the ship. I'll move this thread into the bug report section so our programmer can look into this further. Sorry for the trouble!

Rama

Post by Rama » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:34 pm

This is the cyber targeting issues I am talking about since ages. This affects all players at some point, to my knowledge.
The tricky thing is that sometimes cyber targeting works, sometimes it doesn't. And I see no pattern as to what causes it to break. At certain points cyber targeting was broken more often than not in the games i joined or hosted. Atm it seems to be less severe. If the targeting is broken, one is only able to infect a ship if it dealt damage first.
If cyber targeting is broken, is stays broken. It can break while playing in saves that started out fine. It does not matter who executes the viruses. Bandit drones always will be affected by viruses, even if the targeting is broken with other ships.

EngBot

Post by EngBot » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:34 pm

If the targets are in green alert it has a higher chance of not working, but I've seen it fail to see attacking ships aswell, it is a rather strange bug
Breaker of all the things

cptslog
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by cptslog » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for the reports and details

I'll do some testing based on your info and hopefully I can find and fix the issue shortly