Beta 14.8 Release Notes

Official Announcements are here!
Tue May 23, 2017 12:45 pm

• Hey everyone!

Beta 14.8 is now out! It is a small update focused on fixing a few reported bugs.

Changes
    -Added a jump computer to the default loadout of the Caustic Corsair

Fixes
    -Metal Bandits should now attack players as they should
    -When reloading a game playing as the Caustic Corsair it should now reload the correct components
    -Creature attack ranges tweaked, should be working properly now

Known Issues
    -Certain VR setups have rendering bugs at certain head rotations/positions. Unity is aware and it appears to be fixed in Unity 5.6. More info below.

We are looking into Unity 5.6 which adds Vulkan support. It also seems to fix the VR issue mentioned above in our testing. Unfortunately it also has a few changes / bugs that are preventing us from moving to it as of this moment. They are aware of the bugs and should have the fix out shortly.

Vulkan is definitely something we will be experimenting with. If it’s a good fit and improves performance for PULSAR then we’d like to offer it as an option to players. It might take a little while before we know how well it’s going to work for PULSAR though.

Thank you for your time!

Best,
    The Leafy Games Team

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Thu May 25, 2017 1:54 am

• Awesome job on this guys! I've had a look at 14.8 and almost all of the issues that I mentioned earlier have been fixed. I did notice just a few minutes ago that the Corsair suffers from the AI pathing issues that the original carrier had. Should be easy enough to iron out since you've already fixed it on the carrier.

justinjah91

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:06 pm

• Fine by me. Yet, nothing new...

...You know, after some time I and my fellows came to the conclusion that this game has less than average players retention. Devs, people are well aware of the fact that this journey, even in VR, will be a short one. New definitive content (maybe new enemies, clothes, hand weapons and solid food/water consumption system) and some overhauls (ground combat, radar & sensors, item levels, random enemies generation & behavior types) are badly needed.

Really, it's been a long road and many things have changed to the better. But as for now, there is not much players can do to gain enjoyment from the game after first maybe 3 runs. It's not a secret that after a game outlives its viability, I (metaphorical I, not real I) won't be inclined to suggest it to my fellows, both VR and not. Youtubers won't be able to feast on endless streams and videos because game content repeats and ends quickly. It's a serious issue, in my opinion. And as a dedicated PULSAR follower, I suggest you to do something about it. Better sooner than later.

Shaftoe

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:37 pm

• Shaftoe wrote:Fine by me. Yet, nothing new...

...You know, after some time I and my fellows came to the conclusion that this game has less than average players retention. Devs, people are well aware of the fact that this journey, even in VR, will be a short one. New definitive content (maybe new enemies, clothes, hand weapons and solid food/water consumption system) and some overhauls (ground combat, radar & sensors, item levels, random enemies generation & behavior types) are badly needed.

Really, it's been a long road and many things have changed to the better. But as for now, there is not much players can do to gain enjoyment from the game after first maybe 3 runs. It's not a secret that after a game outlives its viability, I (metaphorical I, not real I) won't be inclined to suggest it to my fellows, both VR and not. Youtubers won't be able to feast on endless streams and videos because game content repeats and ends quickly. It's a serious issue, in my opinion. And as a dedicated PULSAR follower, I suggest you to do something about it. Better sooner than later.

I'm all for more content, but this is a small dev team. Keep in mind that most of the key mechanics have to be in before large amounts of content can be added. According to their plan for the game, a lot of content is coming. We just need to be patient. Despite the small team, this game gets updated very frequently, which is a sign of a good developer.

justinjah91

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:51 pm

• justinjah91 wrote:
    Shaftoe wrote:Fine by me. Yet, nothing new...

I'm all for more content, but this is a small dev team. Keep in mind that most of the key mechanics have to be in before large amounts of content can be added. According to their plan for the game, a lot of content is coming. We just need to be patient. Despite the small team, this game gets updated very frequently, which is a sign of a good developer.

Quit telling people obvious things, unless you paid to. I've left feedback I consider to be important. And I will do so in the future.

Shaftoe

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:04 pm

• Shaftoe wrote:Fine by me. Yet, nothing new...

Hey Shaftoe, good news is that the Beta 15 cycle will probably be focusing on ground combat, the initial release will include new weapons and tools and many existing weapon systems have seen changes, more to come on that but we've released a couple gifs of the grenade launcher (shooting pulse grenades and mini grenades) those gifs can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/ea0rX

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:02 pm

• Edinstein wrote:Hey Shaftoe, good news is that the Beta 15 cycle will probably be focusing on ground combat, the initial release will include new weapons and tools and many existing weapon systems have seen changes, more to come on that but we've released a couple gifs of the grenade launcher (shooting pulse grenades and mini grenades) those gifs can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/ea0rX

Good news! I'll pass them on to my fellow spacemen. But I feel need to outline what we expect from you guys... Actually, we'd like to have the ability to crouch and thus use the environment for protection or ambushes. And this means that AI behavior should be much more realistic... in order to work with such changes. That would've been great. Yet, we understand that you're a small team and it's really great to hear from you here on forums. We (and personally I) hope that the development will continue and already included mechanics will improve.

P.S. Can you make fully transparent windows for spaceships? These mate black details where windows are supposed to be look really badly. And if you can't do that, could you at least say why?

Shaftoe

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:44 pm

• Shaftoe wrote:Good news! I'll pass them on to my fellow spacemen. But I feel need to outline what we expect from you guys... Actually, we'd like to have the ability to crouch and thus use the environment for protection or ambushes. And this means that AI behavior should be much more realistic... in order to work with such changes. That would've been great. Yet, we understand that you're a small team and it's really great to hear from you here on forums. We (and personally I) hope that the development will continue and already included mechanics will improve.

P.S. Can you make fully transparent windows for spaceships? These mate black details where windows are supposed to be look really badly. And if you can't do that, could you at least say why?

Beta 15 will be more focused on different weapons and a change to the firing system. We will look into crouching, but it's probably good to keep in mind that PULSAR was not intended to be a tactical first-person shooter, so it won't feel like CoD or Battlefield. Nevertheless, we'll do our best to make it more engaging.

As for fully transparent windows on the spaceships, we use multiple camera systems, offset scales and lighting tricks between player-views and ship-exterior views. A feature like this would be really cool, but it could easily take months to add. It sounds like it would be easy but the amount of work and time needed to get it functioning is way too much, and we think that those resources could be better spent on other things.

To get an idea of what we're working with you can check out one of our earlier devlogs.
    This is an older video but we explain an early version of the camera system we use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-PK8FXI120

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:56 pm

• Edinstein wrote:
    Beta 15 will be more focused on different weapons and a change to the firing system. We will look into crouching, but it's probably good to keep in mind that PULSAR was not intended to be a tactical first-person shooter, so it won't feel like CoD or Battlefield. Nevertheless, we'll do our best to make it more engaging.

As for fully transparent windows on the spaceships, we use multiple camera systems, offset scales and lighting tricks between player-views and ship-exterior views. A feature like this would be really cool, but it could easily take months to add. It sounds like it would be easy but the amount of work and time needed to get it functioning is way too much, and we think that those resources could be better spent on other things.

To get an idea of what we're working with you can check out one of our earlier devlogs.
    This is an older video but we explain an early version of the camera system we use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-PK8FXI120

Thank you for explanation.

I realize that PULSAR is not a first-person shooter and hope that this promise of "more engaging gameplay" means at least primitive, Quake IV level mechanics for AI, such as proper use of environment for cover, more realistic movement patterns and adequate choice of tactics, when players use cover (i.e. not charging them head on, thus being easily killed on sight).

Also, it would be perfect to have the ability to get raised and healed after you died... Like, after death your body remains on the ground and you get the tab, suggesting you to choose between "Respawn" and "Call for Help" options. If you choose the latter, automatic message sends to the game chat and signal reaches players with revival skill and equipment nearby.

Shaftoe

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 am

• Hello!

Given the history of updates until now, 14.9 or 15 are conspicuously unreleased. Totally understandable as it sounds like you're working on a lot of changes, which are very exciting. Is there a timeframe for the next update? I also get that putting a date on something can be problematic, but wanted to ask.

mrsandman321

Next

Return to Announcements

Information