Beta 12.2 Release Notes

Official Announcements are here!
Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:05 pm

• Hey everyone!

Beta 12.2 is now available!

Changes
    -Removed commands/exploits that could cause crew-wide bugs and weren’t intended to be available in the live build

We also have some news for the next feature update: Beta 13 will include Oculus Rift support. Specifically, it will include an Oculus VR mode that allows players to use either keyboard and mouse or a gamepad.

Vive and motion controller support (Oculus Touch, Vive) support will be looked into and experimented with but may or may not end up being feasible for PULSAR.

Beta 13 should be out later this month.

Thanks everyone!

UPDATE:

A lot of you have expressed your concerns about Vive support, we've spent some time today looking into it and doing some simple tests with our Vive setup. We're glad to say that Vive HMD support will be in Beta 13. We were pretty much planning on implementing it but simply hesitant to make any guarantees without testing it ourselves. As for touch controllers, we still have more work to do before we can say if PULSAR will support them.

To reiterate: Beta 13 should support both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive headsets with KB+M / Gamepad. Touch / Vive motion controllers are still being looked into.

Hope this helps / clarifies!

Best,
    The Leafy Games Team

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:49 pm

• Hi guies,

Love this game, as you might know. Big fan here..

Anyway, VR isn't my thing, though i know there are a lot of folks enamored with it by now. Nevertheless, i'm compelled to suggest PLEASE take Vive support seriously.

I only say this because your game is multiplatform, and I (and a lot of my crew) only game under Linux anymore. Vive will support Linux in the forseeable future, so if I (or any of mine) happen to ever get a VR headset, it'll be the Vive. Occulus seems to have no plans for Linux support, and I'm a bigger Fan™ of Valve than i am of Facebook anyway.

Thank you for considering this point.
    -m

victort
    Beta Tester

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:55 pm

• I'm super excited for this! And as an HTC Vive owner, I would also like to put in a vote for effort in that direction. Pulsar's art style is a great fit for VR. Thank you for all the hard work!

Adam

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:18 pm

• We're definitely going to be giving it our best shot! I think a lot of it comes down to touch controllers, if we can feasibly get something working and have all of the game's systems running with the touch controllers then Vive support will probably be added.

We said we'd have Rift support back during our kickstarter (before the Vive was even public I believe) so that's also a reason Rift support is slightly more of a priority right now.

We have both the Rift and the Vive set up in the office so we'll certainly be trying it on both!

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:26 pm

• Leafy,

Thanks for replying to our inquiries here. I wish this explanation was in the news blurb. However, i dont mind playing with keyboard or gamepad on vive. Is this even not possible? I respect the promises you made to oculus users, however what are the barriers to giving the vive similar usability?

Best

nycpcgamer

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:40 pm

• We made a comment on Steam that is relevant to this discussion, we'll also add it to the initial post:

A lot of you have expressed your concerns about Vive support, we've spent some time today looking into it and doing some simple tests with our Vive setup. We're glad to say that Vive HMD support will be in Beta 13. We were pretty much planning on implementing it but simply hesitant to make any guarantees without testing it ourselves. As for touch controllers, we still have more work to do before we can say if PULSAR will support them.

To reiterate: Beta 13 should support both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive headsets with KB+M / Gamepad. Touch / Vive motion controllers are still being looked into.

Hope this helps / clarifies!

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:06 am

• VR Support? It would be good to have something to show first. VR goggles owners can be quite demanding. I mean, they may find PULSAR funny, but I'm unsure if they want to recommend it to their friends.

I really hope ordinary users will benifit from it, though. Ground combat needs to be completely overhauled before VR support. Now it looks, well, far from grasping.

I suggest you rework AI behavior in ground combat to more defensive, group oriented patterns. Make their movements slower and more predictable. Make them to lay down suppression fire if players are close and behind the cover. Rushing enemies usually make players to respawn and retry. This is not grasping. Furthermore, free and easy respawn itself is not a good thing.
    I suggest you to make killed players incapacitated, to add some spice to gameplay. How VR players would react to that? Probably "Eh, okay, nothing special".
    Also, RMB scope for hand guns should benefit to overall ground combat experience too. No scope - low accuracy, higher recoil. With scope - better accuracy, lower recoil, but in cost of limited speed/jumps.

As a user, I don't thing the game is ready for VR. Quality overhauls and vital content, such as radar and long range sensors, and ground combat rework should go first.

Shaftoe

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:06 am

• As a VIVE owner, I'm very excited about this.

If you have played Vertigo, I'm hoping the controls are very similar. Vertigo has great locomotion control that can totally fit into Pulsar without much adaptation.

Looking forward to the potential of this game.

CaptnBarbosa

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:25 am

• Very excited about the Vive support, when I started reading this I got sad before I read the edits, whew.

I know motion controllers would be a ways away (if they ever get implemented at all) but I think they would be such a perfect fit for this game! Can't wait for Beta 13.

AnubisGrim
    Alpha Tester

Return to Announcements

Information