A scenario with a harsh dilemma

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

A scenario with a harsh dilemma

Post by yacabo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:26 pm

A lot a games can have a time where you either let favorite character #1 die or let favorite character #2 die instead.

Now what if that happens in pulsar but instead it's not a NPC that you kill off but as a captain you have to decide whether to kill your crew and save yourself, or sacrifice yourself to save your crew.

Similarly you have to kill of one or more of your crew to keep the rest alive

Now this time your not just deactivating a bunch of ones and zeros you are killing off real people('s character) and can really put more weight on the situation
I love space

maplealmond
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: A scenario with a harsh dilemma

Post by maplealmond » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Since the game has a respawn mechanic, I'm not seeing the dilemma here. Dying in this game takes you out of commission for like 12 seconds.

From a gameplay mechanic, permanently killing off a crewmember feels problematic. Sure it's an interesting choice for the Captain, but it sucks for everyone else.

The game is wisely designed so that if the ship makes it out alive, the crew can come back and try to make it home.

Harsh story-based dilemmas should probably center around keeping your ship (assuming you could downgrade to a worse one) or letting an allied ship survive with all hands on board. Or something like that. This even assumes Pulsar will have much of a story mode. I'm imagining about as much a story as Metroid Prime, one told via exploration and reading, instead of lots of voice acting. Voice acting is, after all, really expensive when done right, and REALLY terrible when done wrong.

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by yacabo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:14 pm

maplealmond wrote:Since the game has a respawn mechanic, I'm not seeing the dilemma here. Dying in this game takes you out of commission for like 12 seconds.
I believe that there will be times when you can't respawn, lets say if you are out of range or the ship is dead but the one who killed it put you in this scenario so not everyone has to die
I love space

BinaryExterminator
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by BinaryExterminator » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:07 pm

At first I was skeptical, but the more I think about it the more I like this idea. It'd make for some really interesting scenarios
"You win again, gravity!"

I usually play as Wilson505 in Pulsar, so now you know who to send angry PMs to when I accidentally break things on your ship...

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:42 am

It would only work if the death was permanent, the whole weight of the choice is gone if it's just a matter of respawning instantly or once the crew returns to the ship.
Otherwise this is just a tedious thing to have that only leave people sitting around/not engaged.

If it was permanent it holds a whole new lists of issues such as:

-Cutting short your friends to play with. Down sizing to such a point that there's nothing to do social wise, or even manage the ship right.
-Just restarting. I can see most people just using this as a game over state and starting new, in order to avoid leaving friends out.
-IRL drama. If you do this with IRL friends this is essentially the same as banning someone from a server. Once you see them in IRL there's a risk they'll be really pissed about being kicked off/removed while everyone else is able to keep playing.

In other words, all this will accomplish is sabotaging player relations and cooperation.
Last edited by GwaziMagnum on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

BinaryExterminator
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by BinaryExterminator » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:42 pm

But that's the whole point, making some really tough decisions that don't involve your favorite NPCs but actual friends and players. Also, worst case scenario is that your friend exits Pulsar and goes to play another game or something, not that they'll go and burn your house down for killing them in a video game.

Also, there's the possibility that the player could make a new character and "respawn" at a random Galactic Hub to re-enter the game

I usually play as Wilson505 in Pulsar, so now you know who to send angry PMs to when I accidentally break things on your ship...

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:16 am

Except it's not adding anything of want or value.
It's a mechanic whose sole purpose is to divide friends up, reduce communication, and risk causing drama.
Games should be designed to bring gamers together, not drive them apart.

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by yacabo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 am

You may be thinking that this would only happen if the game feels like punishing you, for example you go to sleep and the game is like
"You went to sleep!? WHO THE HELL DO YOU DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO SLEEP! That's it, someone's is going to die!"
and puts you into this scenario

How I think it should play out is that it would be mostly your fault for this because you got mixed in with the wrong crowed, your ship exploded but the enemy saved you at a cost, you didn't pay back the mafia, or maybe something to do with the lost colony.

}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{} SPOILER ALEART FOR HALO 4 {}{}{}{ }{}{}{}
Think of it like this, Cortana is dead because she hit her expiration date and you we're too busy killing the Didact to fix her, not because the creators felt the urge to kill someone off at last minute and she got blown up by some misplaced plasma blast at the very end
I love space

casauchi

Post by casauchi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:37 am

I really like this idea :D

BinaryExterminator
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by BinaryExterminator » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:00 am

GwaziMagnum wrote:Except it's not adding anything of want or value.
It's a mechanic whose sole purpose is to divide friends up, reduce communication, and risk causing drama.
Games should be designed to bring gamers together, not drive them apart.
No, games should be designed to be enjoyable and challenging, not as circlejerks where you and your BFFs can simulate making each other friendship bracelets while periodically passing comment as to how your biggest problem these days is finding enough purple string.

Adding a mechanic like this (obviously at a very low chance of encounter) would REINFORCE bonds between players when they're forced to evaluate the usefulness and emotional attachments to each other. Also, did you miss my suggestion to allow a delayed respawn, or did you just completely ignore it?

And as a side note, I'm glad I don't have any friends who would be 'driven away' by being forced to leave a co-op game. Sounds like it would be more a problem with the kids themselves than the actual game.