Spacewalks -- Some Ideas

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
BibleClinger
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Spacewalks -- Some Ideas

Post by BibleClinger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:37 am

I was talking with casauchi while playing Pulsar, and I came up with an idea that we seemed to think was worthy of consideration. The basic idea is incorporating the need to get into our spacesuits and go out for a spacewalk. For example, we could try the following:

1) Repair our own hull. Perhaps this could be done by having us weld scrap onto the hull. Thus, it costs something to do it ourselves, but it's still an option for quick minor repairs that we need to get done quickly. Perhaps if we have scrap worth 1000 credits, it would now be worth only 900 for a minor repair, for example.
2) Install new equipment. Perhaps the installation could be tedious, or complicated, allowing us to damage components in the process. Either way, this might mitigate the need to get to the store, but allow us to get a new reactor loaded in a rough situation.
3) Interact with external systems. Perhaps we end up finding a damaged ship that doesn't respond to hails. Their teleporting pad is broken or offline. We may be able to find a way to board the ship from the outside. Alternatively, perhaps we want to explore the insides of a destroyed hub where the oxygen has already leaked out. There might be systems on that hub, such as security systems, with which we'd need to interact.
4) Disarming mines. Most of the time, you'd probably not want to do this, but there are some cases where it might make sense. Perhaps another ship is trapped by mines and none of the weapons on either ship are effective at moving them. Alternatively, perhaps some treasure/scrap is physically connected with some mines that need to be disabled.

If this has been mentioned before in this detail, I apologize. I know spacesuits have been mentioned for planetary usage, and FalcoGer mentioned hull repairing via spacewalks in another post, but that is all I found in a search.

Edit: I missed this topic's first post somehow. Oh well.

2nd Edit: Grammatical mistake.
Last edited by BibleClinger on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Spacewalks -- Some Ideas

Post by yacabo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:10 pm

I do like these ideas, and they would make sense if added to the game
I love space

casauchi

Post by casauchi » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:28 am

Interesting ideas, I like them! :D

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:35 pm

I like most of these, but I'm unsure about the installing new equipment feature.

That one would vary on how often Pulsar has one upgrading their ship.
If it's fairly often then this could just be a delay for the game that only slows things down.
If it's a rare thing though it could make one more invested into upgrading their ship.