Simple revive system & more punishing respawns

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Tajin

Simple revive system & more punishing respawns

Post by Tajin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:11 am

The idea is rather simple and several other coop titles use it too:
1. Don't let people die instantly, give them a chance to be rescued.
2. Make actual death a bit more severe.

Suggestion:
  • If someone gets "killed" they enter an unconscious state and get a timer that slowly ticks down to zero until the "bleed out" and die.
  • If another crewmember manages to get to the wounded guy in time, he can revive him and bring him back to live with a small amount of his original health (maybe 10%).
  • Reviving takes some time and leaves you vulnerable while you do it.
  • To make this actually useful, the regular respawn time would have to be greatly increased and maybe also include some other disadvantages (respawn sickness of some sort)
  • The scientist could get skills to revive quicker and with more health.
  • Damage to the ship could have a chance of directly hurting crewmembers, that way healing doesn't only matter when you leave the ship.
  • At a later point, the same system could also be applied to certain enemies which would allow us to capture them.

The main advantage of this system is that it further promotes teamwork when boarding or going planetside instead of just rushing in solo, getting killed, respawn, repeat.
Always happy to team up with English or German speaking crews that use TS3/Mumble.
Contact me here or on steam!

(I'm usually available around 1800 – 0300 GMT)

Earb
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Simple revive system & more punishing respawns

Post by Earb » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:15 am

+1

But for this system, the fights have to change overall, now its "run run run flash flash shoot shoot run run shoot shoot run run dead" respawn "run run run flash flash shoot shoot run run shoot shoot run run dead" :P

Jingo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Jingo » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:23 pm

Would love to see this. The re-spawn-fest my crew constantly engaged in last night was ridiculous and it cheapened death. But agreed, the fighting system would have to change somehow so that it isn't instant death. (Too many times we've beamed down during certain missions and a Metal Bandit is there blazing away at us and we can't do a thing. So things like that should change. Maybe allow crouching and leaning so that combat is more controlled. Guns with scopes would help too.)

I like the bleedout idea. But when a crew mate does finally die, it SHOULD hurt in some way. In my mind, if they they "die and are truly re-spawned" from a copy of themselves, it makes sense that that clone copy would have less talent point.

In addition to this, I would make it so that the cloning bay is a RARE equipment piece that isn't on every ship by default. Crews that want them can build them piece by piece over time (could be an Adventure where the components have to be gathered). Maybe to power it you then have to have some special Trexillium alloy found on the fiery pits of Theta IV to power your nifty cloning device. Of course it's dangerous to go there. Erratic temperature or acid readings. And sadly, those pits are also home to the egg-laying Zritkxi insects with their barbed claws and poisoned pincers...

But once you have it, you can do cloned copies to your heart's content. Of course then it should cost something to keep an up-to-date copy of yourself.

Zen911

Post by Zen911 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:08 am

I agree that player death should be more punishing and that the Scientist should have an opportunity to revive downed teammates. With the way things are now, I think it would be best to have a monetary cost for cloning that would reflect the crew level. A few deaths early on might be a moderate annoyance, but cloning an experienced crew later on could throw you into debt, forcing a crew to resort to desperate measures to find fuel, like stealing a ship or a distress call, in order to continue their voyage.

For Scientist revives, I think there should be two ways of going about healing your friends from critical. The first would be to take them back to the ship and put them on some sort of bio-bed or healing tank, and after they heal to full, they're good to go. The second way would be the use of an injector, fueled by comparatively inexpensive (relative to late-game respawning) capsules that revive crewmen at a quarter of their health. After reviving them with the injector, the Scientist could simply heal them as usual.

In summary, it's just the current system where you pay to use the cloning bay the higher level your crew is, with the option to mitigate costs by paying in time or revive capsules.

Additionally, I feel cloning should have a cost in power. If the Science subsystem is damaged or isn't fully powered, it should take longer. Consequentially, if it has no power or has been reduced to zero HP, it shouldn't function at all - and thus the atrium timer would begin to countdown.

Tajin

Post by Tajin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:52 am

Zen911 wrote:Additionally, I feel cloning should have a cost in power. If the Science subsystem is damaged or isn't fully powered, it should take longer. Consequentially, if it has no power or has been reduced to zero HP, it shouldn't function at all - and thus the atrium timer would begin to countdown.
That sounds interesting.
Only issue is that turning off the power of a ship is really easy when you board it. So maybe that should be made a bit more difficult (maybe requiring 2 crewmembers that pull levers simultaneously, which would also help against trolls)
Always happy to team up with English or German speaking crews that use TS3/Mumble.
Contact me here or on steam!

(I'm usually available around 1800 – 0300 GMT)

kir2yar

Post by kir2yar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:29 pm

Tajin wrote:
Zen911 wrote:Additionally, I feel cloning should have a cost in power. If the Science subsystem is damaged or isn't fully powered, it should take longer. Consequentially, if it has no power or has been reduced to zero HP, it shouldn't function at all - and thus the atrium timer would begin to countdown.
That sounds interesting.
Only issue is that turning off the power of a ship is really easy when you board it. So maybe that should be made a bit more difficult (maybe requiring 2 crewmembers that pull levers simultaneously, which would also help against trolls)
+1. Really easy. Power-off lever should be disabled in red alert status.
Sorry for my English, not native speaker.

Zen911

Post by Zen911 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Because of the AI's handicap, I believe everything we're discussing here should be limited solely to players. There's just no contest, I'm sure that there are many players that play as Captain and board enemy ships by themselves while their crews continue the fight, defeat any enemy crew that get in their way, and go around blowing up subsystems and shutting down the enemy ship.

Kitchner
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Kitchner » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:28 am

I think the simpler solution is every time you die you lose a random talent point. It's taken from your pool first and if that's empty from a random skill.

It's punishing enough that you don't want to die but not so complicated you need new game mechanics. It's also not so punishing you refuse to ever die and creates an interesting talent point management aspect of "do I put this into a skill I don't really use that often or should I save it to protect the skills I have".

TeslaCuil
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by TeslaCuil » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:50 am

I agree that losing a talent point makes sense, also the timer should be much longer.

In terms of changes to combat, at one point you were able to hold rmb to focus your aim, allowing you to shoot from further away. I think this system needs to be brought back, as it allowed for some level of tactical play. (hiding behind cover, while shooting, etc). The enemy AI should also be changed to do the same, instead of just swarming.

datsdana
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by datsdana » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:45 pm

Didn't see this earlier before i posted my idea of clones, this could also apply to the AI ships we encounter. give more reason to play the Gentlemen faction as i would assume they would have the upper hand with clone count Vs a battleship type of fight.

http://forums.pulsarthegame.com/viewtop ... f=4&t=2051