Non Combat Encounters

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Arsonide

Non Combat Encounters

Post by Arsonide » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:01 pm

I know this is probably already in the cards, but I've been playing this for a few days, and it would be nice if there were some peaceful sectors, or at least sectors that had some kind of activity after the combat. Right now there's generally one enemy, maybe a few, and then you loot and move on.

It'd be cool if the ship boarding mechanic was utilized. What if a derelict vessel was full of crawlers, and if you could beam over and clear it out, you could strip it for parts? What if you came across an abandoned space station that was bathed in radiation, so you could only go in for a few minutes at a time in an exosuit before needing to head back to the medbay to recuperate? Things like this would allow for away missions that weren't necessarily limited to planets. There should be scientific anomalies that the players need to scan, identify, and interact with. The players should be able to mine, trade, and salvage at these locations. There's all sorts of possibilities.

What we have is a great base! However, there should be more to space than killing stuff.

MaxMongoose

Re: Non Combat Encounters

Post by MaxMongoose » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:29 pm

I really like this idea too and I imagine it is somewhere on the docket for the team. Responding to SOS signals could be cool, too, or being in a standoff with an enemy ship and trying to talk down their captain. Hopefully this features will come along soonish since they seem to be fairly close to finishing the core gameplay systems.

Tajin

Post by Tajin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:02 am

I would really love a rescue mission where you have to board an enemy ship to free prisoners and bring them back to safety.

That would be pretty interesting and challenging and could potentially be solved in several different ways. 8-)
Always happy to team up with English or German speaking crews that use TS3/Mumble.
Contact me here or on steam!

(I'm usually available around 1800 – 0300 GMT)

TeslaCuil
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by TeslaCuil » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:22 am

An idea I had that would help with this would be the addition of a new console for comms (there is a space for it on every ship as well, since the pilot was moved).

Basically, the comms station would be used to communicate with other ships and the station, using the new conversation system that was added recently. It could also take the comms functionality from the tab menu, so that comms screen could be removed.

Some ideas for non-combat encounters:
you find a ship that needs fuel, so you can agree to give them some of yours in exchange for money.
you find a ship damaged by combat, and can agree to beam to their ship to help repair it
you find a ship that gives you a quest like you could at a station.
etc

Calladium
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Calladium » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:43 am

+1

This would make my non-combatant stealth ship much more viable. There are some great ideas here, I'm gonna go watch some TNG, see if I can't come up with some more.

MaxMongoose

Post by MaxMongoose » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:17 pm

TeslaCuil wrote: Some ideas for non-combat encounters:
you find a ship that needs fuel, so you can agree to give them some of yours in exchange for money.
you find a ship damaged by combat, and can agree to beam to their ship to help repair it
you find a ship that gives you a quest like you could at a station.
etc
The second one could potentially be a trap! It would be great if that encounter was randomized.

Also, I know the topic is non-combat encounters, but this idea is kind of combat-ish. Pirates could hold you up and demand you hand over your cargo. If you do they let you pass freely, or you could fight. Alternatively you could try boarding their ship or you could send an explosive over to the other ship, all sneaky-like, and detonate it.