Purchasable clones

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
datsdana
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Purchasable clones

Post by datsdana » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Hey guys,

i think it would be interesting to have a set amount of lives that the crew could pull from to regenerate their lives for when each crew member dies. I enjoy boarding ships but find it tedious with both sides just continuing to respawn no matter what happens. I find that all i do for the most part right now is board the enemy ship repeatedly and turn off the enginering and then blow up systems till my crew blows up the ship.

example.
-the ship starts with 10 blank clones that they pull from when a crew mate dies
-as each crew member gets regenerated it pulls from the pool of blanks.
-only certain stations or hubs would allow the purchase of more clones.

variations that can happen to spice this up a bit would be things like
- ship type could have more or less clone storage space
- specialized clone blanks (may start with more health or may have blaster resistance, may have access to exclusive talents at the expense of another, ect.)

Calladium
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Purchasable clones

Post by Calladium » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:50 am

This actually sounds like a really elegant solution to the problem of infinite respawn and the creepiness factor of having "blank" clones stored somewhere in the ship is awesome! Only thing I have to add is possibly having clones take up cargo space, that way it's a trade off between having spare clones and your cargo capacity. Maybe every ship has 5 ready and waiting in a static pod near life support and once those are used up another "stack" of 5 can be taken from the cargo hold (similar to the mechanics of fuel use except it takes up cargo space).

Jingo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Jingo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:49 am

I like this idea. Especially if you have the clones on ice in tubes somewhere on the ship. Creepiness factor indeed.

Matchbox
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Matchbox » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:36 am

The atrium is actually some type of 3d printer like the Fluffy Biscuit food printer (Devlog 10).
So maybe it could work a bit like fuel pods in the form of biological printer cartridges.
(Just to give slight thematic variation :) )

Mobiyus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Mobiyus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:41 pm

I also like the idea, however I'm not sure that preventing players to spawn after X clones is good gameplay. Dead players may have to wait a long time before playing again.

EDIT: To further add to this, it's true that this issue would be mitigated when playing with friends, but when playing with random players this will lead to frequent quitting.
Colonial Union Universal Academy graduate
Proud Pilot and Engineering License holder

Steam: Mobiyus

Nekron
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Nekron » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:35 am

hmm sounds intresting.
Didn't finde any downsides of it yet.
You can add me on Steam, but keep in mind that I might delet you if there is no answer coming from you.
To much hackers are around who add randomly people. Send me a message with reason why you added me ;)

maplealmond
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by maplealmond » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:08 pm

It could get really annoying to have to wait a long time for the crew to warp to a new place. So what I'd suggest is a clone bank, which operates quickly, followed by a slow recharge to replenish the remaining clones.

So you get 3-4 lives in a given fight, maybe more if the ship has allocated space to a particular component, and once those are exhausted you might have to wait 5 minutes for the new ones to pop in. That's long enough to take you out of the firefight -- it's an eternity in combat -- but not so long that people will ragequit the game.

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:38 am

I like the idea, but there's some tweaks I'd also like to suggest.

1. Clones per player, not per crew.
This way one reckless player doesn't penalize the entire crew, which could spawn a ton of player conflict.

2. No Cargo Space.
I don't really see the function in this, fuel is infinite for example.

3. Clones respawn each jump.
This is to avoid a player being left out for a long time because the crew need's to buy clones.
It also prevent's bitter captains from denying said player entry back in.

While charging credits for clones would do the reverse.
It would incentivize Captains to not want to hand clones out to reckless players.

4. Fix the current Board Gunplay mechanics
Because at the moment the AI has the tendancy to have God aim, where it takes a whole crew to handle one or two AI.
Only for the AI to start effectively spawn camping. As long as these trends stay, a clone system would just be devored by the AI.

Calladium
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Calladium » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:54 am

GwaziMagnum, I like your ideas with one caveat. I think clones as well as fuel should have a cap (similar to missiles being capped at 10). This could be based on ship type or a new ship component (clone tube, bacta tank, etc..), possibly a combo between the two.

Also, I would imagine clone respawns per jump would be similar to the way a jump refills programs (not all the way, but a different amount based on the warp drive you have)

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:18 am

A Fuel and Clone cap could work.
As long as they don't occupy cargo space I'm happy though.

And yea, a scaling clone recharge might be useful to.
Add's even more incentive for better gear.

+The idea of us constantly making clones also leaves the door open to easy genetic enhancement.
Buy upgrades for the character, and write it as upgrading the DNA in all the clone bodies.