Purchasable clones

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Purchasable clones

Post by Mr n » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:37 am

GwaziMagnum wrote:A Fuel and Clone cap could work.
As long as they don't occupy cargo space I'm happy though.

And yea, a scaling clone recharge might be useful to.
Add's even more incentive for better gear.

+The idea of us constantly making clones also leaves the door open to easy genetic enhancement.
Buy upgrades for the character, and write it as upgrading the DNA in all the clone bodies.
Possible upgrades to life support to have the "clone seeds" recharged faster or have a higher capacity for them ("do we want to have 2 clones each and replenish 1 clone per 40 seconds or do we want 4 clones each and 3 minutes replenish time?").

About the DNA of the clone bodies - it would be nice to have an option to get back the spent talent points at your next spawn or to automatically spec into other stats next spawn ("I need to operate the main turret now, but next life I want to have the scan signatures lowered"). Unless OP, but I've been playing only for a few days so I cannot reliably decide that on my own.

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Mr n wrote:Possible upgrades to life support to have the "clone seeds" recharged faster or have a higher capacity for them ("do we want to have 2 clones each and replenish 1 clone per 40 seconds or do we want 4 clones each and 3 minutes replenish time?").

About the DNA of the clone bodies - it would be nice to have an option to get back the spent talent points at your next spawn or to automatically spec into other stats next spawn ("I need to operate the main turret now, but next life I want to have the scan signatures lowered"). Unless OP, but I've been playing only for a few days so I cannot reliably decide that on my own.
The clone seeds could work.

As for the Re-spec though, at the moment I wouldn't really change much expect for early game because there's so few things to level up.
However, that's just because there's a serious lack of talents available to crew members.

If more ever get added, this re-spec could then be easily abused to set up arranged suicides to constantly flip-flop levels.
Then again, this same exploit can be done just by quitting and rejoining. :/

obliviondoll
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by obliviondoll » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:53 am

Problems:

1. Prevent players from spawning is bad.
2. No, really, it's bad.
3. Seriously, just no.

Solution:

1. Keep it as-is. This makes death feel meaningless (also bad), but keeps players in the action (good).
2. Have a scaling respawn rate which ramps up the more often players die, and drops back to a short baseline after a decent amount of time without any deaths (or after a jump).
3. Have a selection of clone/medical bays with different stats.

I like 3, because it opens up a variety of options.

- Different medical systems could have different respawn and healing rates (with possibility for these to be independent as well).
- The idea of clone count could be implemented as a limit on how many fast spawns can be achieved, after which respawns slow drastically.
- Atrium healing and respawns could require biomass rather than whole clones, and exhausting the supply would drastically slow both processes.
- Tying in with above, clone or biomass count could regenerate over a relatively long period of time.
- Different systems could have different maximum clone'biomass count, as well as different replenishment rates.
- A number of clones (or an amount of biomass) could be immediately regenerated by warping, and injecting fuel into the system could allow for an accelerated replenishment much like with science station programs.

Sadist_Cain

Post by Sadist_Cain » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:05 pm

obliviondoll wrote:Problems:

1. Prevent players from spawning is bad.
2. No, really, it's bad.
3. Seriously, just no.

Solution:

1. Keep it as-is. This makes death feel meaningless (also bad), but keeps players in the action (good).
2. Have a scaling respawn rate which ramps up the more often players die, and drops back to a short baseline after a decent amount of time without any deaths (or after a jump).
3. Have a selection of clone/medical bays with different stats.

I like 3, because it opens up a variety of options.

- Different medical systems could have different respawn and healing rates (with possibility for these to be independent as well).
- The idea of clone count could be implemented as a limit on how many fast spawns can be achieved, after which respawns slow drastically.
- Atrium healing and respawns could require biomass rather than whole clones, and exhausting the supply would drastically slow both processes.
- Tying in with above, clone or biomass count could regenerate over a relatively long period of time.
- Different systems could have different maximum clone'biomass count, as well as different replenishment rates.
- A number of clones (or an amount of biomass) could be immediately regenerated by warping, and injecting fuel into the system could allow for an accelerated replenishment much like with science station programs.

I think if people want to be kept "in on the action" they're definitely in the wrong game. The meaningless deaths is pretty terrible, it makes the scientist scanning planets pointless, beaming back aboard ship after exploring pointless, any plans for boarding pointless,

The cost of keeping people in on the action is turning anything character based in game into a mindless zerg.

Keragon
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Keragon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:32 pm

I think this is a great idea and with some tweaking it can add a lot of value to the game. As others have stated so far having unlimited re spawns really takes the fear of dying away and makes the game too easy. Frequently nobody will wait for science to investigate the planet before heading down and if they take damage they simply teleport back up and grab a suit. Asides from that people charge into battle and go down in a haze of laser fire, taking away from the teamwork that should be happening on the planets and making science further useless as nobody finds use for their Bridge Medic skill.

I like the idea of limited charges on the atrium. I also think it would be necessary for the Captain to be able to limit players re spawns if he notices someone is simply abusing it. It would add a lot more value to the game and make people far more cautious on planets instead of running out to feed the worm instead of just running back to the teleporter etc.

There is potential griefing with this but again, the Captain can lower everyone's spawns to a low number to start until the crew has shown they are reasonable. I'm all for adding a challenge to this game and I think this is a good way to do it.

Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Mr n » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:41 am

This topic's idea has recently resurfaced http://forums.pulsarthegame.com/viewtop ... f=4&t=2615.

I still think it's a good idea and there should be an upgradeable clone bay with stats for capacity (doesn't matter if we call it "clone seeds" or "biomass"; the only differentiation should be if the cloning ability is per player or per crew), recharge time/price (you could have a fuel-like "spare biomass" charge) and perhaps any special/unique capabilities ("manually flip a lever to dump more biomass than immediately needed for one clone, but get the clone instantly") for the given model/level.