"Beam us up, Scotty!" - Engineer teleporting people remotely

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

"Beam us up, Scotty!" - Engineer teleporting people remotely

Post by Mr n » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:20 am

It would be tactically useful, timesaving, fun and possibly RP-ing friendly to have the engineer/science guy/whoever is near the teleporter to be able to beam others back from wherever they are.

Possible uses:
  • In random danger - I'm locking on you, give me a few more seconds!
  • On the far side of the "0" station (it's like a 4 minute sprint back)
  • Near 0hp at enemy's ship/oxygenless planet/being munched on by antlions
  • After bravely ejecting the enemy's reactor core
Of course the system would have to abide by regular teleporting rules (no enemy quantum shields between the teleported and teleporter).

As an offset (and anti-spam/abuse prevention system) I'd propose the locking time to be inversely proportional to the square of velocity of the target when looked through the frame of reference of the teleporter (i.e. if both ships are moving at the same speed in the same direction so there is no apparent movement then only the walking/running/flying influences the time negatively).

If this would be getting implemented, the Devs could also decide if getting more than one person at a time would be possible - and how, sequential (one lock at a time, with a possible queue) or simultaneous (four clicks, four "locking on target" bars going simultaneously for the cost of power usage increased accordingly).

Optionally, the devs could make it possible, as an added incentive to boarding to force-teleport enemies onto your ship once you capture their teleporter (being on their ship makes it tuned to their quantum shields' frequency).

I think this suggestion would be a nice addition whether the teleport-on-warpjump system gets removed or not.

DGMurdockIII

Re: "Beam us up, Scotty!" - Engineer teleporting people remo

Post by DGMurdockIII » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:42 pm

this is a good ideas

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 am

Sounds good, I always pretend I've received an emergency teleport every time I or a crew member respawns.

terminalrex

Post by terminalrex » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:33 pm

Yes! Was going to suggest this as-well, would be awesome for RP and also helpful for other things For example - The other day my friend fell of a ledge and got stuck on a planet with no way off (no suicide in menus) and if we had the ability to teleport crew members on and off the ship from a console or something, I would have been able to rescue him.

glassofwater
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by glassofwater » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:52 am

Absolutely. When I first started playing, I actually kind of expected this to already be a thing.
+1

Trusin

Post by Trusin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:42 pm

Why have it be automatic. make that a science or engineer thing. shield frequency. a 3 digit number. if you get theirs you can tune your weapons / transporter to "ignore it". Also add a science program for a "chance" to obtain their frequency. and a program to "rotate shield frequency" so that if the enemy obtains yours you can cycle it.

Vorxian

Post by Vorxian » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:05 am

Absolutely +1

I thought this would be in already, but makes sense that anyone using the teleport console would be able to see the names of crew members within range, and outside of the ship. It would be possible to click on their name and beam them back aboard (as long as a blocking quantum field isn't actively blocking it).

It's a great idea. Makes leaving someone on the ship a good back up plan. Automatic balance since you sacrifice ground numbers (less firepower) for contingency. It adds a great role to someone remaining aboard (to look after the ship).

Trusin

Post by Trusin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Add into that chances for random encounters while in orbit or random ship malfunctions.

Khobai

Post by Khobai » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:30 am

I agree there needs to be a reason for someone to stay on the ship while everyone else is on the planet

random attacks while in orbit and an emergency transporter would definitely be cool

theSpeare

Post by theSpeare » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:22 am

+1

Please devs! This is what would complete the Pulsar experience for me (apart from new content). The way people can just leap away on teleporters by themselves feels very counter to the whole experience of working/moving as a team. Instead people are just jumping on the teleporter solo and running off by themselves.