"Beam us up, Scotty!" - Engineer teleporting people remotely

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
CaptnBarbosa

Re: "Beam us up, Scotty!" - Engineer teleporting people remo

Post by CaptnBarbosa » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:31 am

What if the Engineer could carry a "Teleport" Beacon down to the planet. When you want to warp out, the Engineer can spike a beacon into the ground or floor and everyone in the area can be teleported back to the ship within a few second of beacon activation.

1) Plant / Spike / Place Teleportation Beacon
2) When everyone is ready, activate the Beacon
3) Teleport to Ship and have the option to Teleport back

Khobai

Post by Khobai » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:05 pm

a teleport beacon would be a cool idea for a researchable talent

togFox

Post by togFox » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:12 pm

So I'll be the only one to poo poo this:

How does this idea add gameplay? Death has no consequence. Apart from roleplay, this would never be used.

Trusin

Post by Trusin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:12 pm

well, if you read the entire thread we added game play elements.. random encounters while your in orib. A quick return back to the ship instead of having to run all the way back.. the "teleport" beacon could even remove the awkward teleport pads on the planets.

And in any case by your argument what is the point of the game at all. Considering death is just a respawn and you can restart the game whenever you want. Why play at all?

Strategos

Post by Strategos » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 am

This is a great idea.

However as pointed out the die / re-spawn mechanic defeats this.

I'd still love to have that mechanic though, and It's nice to have a reason to leave someone on the ship. As captain I normally stay behind and delegate away team control to a crew member, but I really like the idea of the crew having to be beamed back.

subunit

Post by subunit » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:09 am

Is the auto-teleport back to ship when the ship leaves for another sector a technical limitation or a gameplay device (prevent accidentally/deliberately stranding people)?

Trusin

Post by Trusin » Wed May 10, 2017 12:00 pm

I think it is both. When you "warp" you are essentially changing "zones" and therefore can't have someone intentionally left behind. I think what I would rather have happens is that person "dies" and has to be cloned. There could also be an "emergency teleport" with a 50/50 chance of leaving someone behind. (that is then killed and has to be cloned)

Alaric

Post by Alaric » Sun May 14, 2017 6:34 am

I prefer the basic teleport system without beacon. Beacon would be just a quick shortcut and would remove gameplay instead of adding it. With one person staying on the ship or returning earlier, it would increase diversity to doing things.

Also, as in Star Trek's, almost everyone can operate teleporter but it wouldn't it be awesome if Engineer could have some extra skills like teleporting faster, teleporting farther or with interference in the way.

Raoh

Post by Raoh » Wed May 24, 2017 9:34 am

Teleporting could also be used in new mission types, such as rescue missions - stranded ships with crew who need help. Heck that could even lead to passenger transport etc. :)

Agree that being able to respawn so easily and quickly would need to be adjusted to make transporting meaningful.
I like the cloning idea mentioned, make cloning/respawning cost some kind of resource (bio chemicals - whatever). Make this resource so It's not a pain to obtain but limited in some ways to make people more careful about dying - perhaps the ship can only hold hold so much at once or construct so many clones in X period.

Imagine running out and It's down to your last 1-2 people on the ship to get more or reach a safe respawn facility; that would add a bit of tension. I guess those in limbo would spectate / become a hologram (Red Dwarf - Rimmer style) in the mean time, with more limited ship interactivity and confined to ship. ;)