Extractor and Flagging, Needs Work

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
ccelizic

Extractor and Flagging, Needs Work

Post by ccelizic » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:43 am

The extractor is cool, and you even dedicated engineer perks to it. However, it seems to use the extractor on a ship you need to have it abandoned. To abandon it you pretty much need to claim it and then unclaim it. But to do that causes you to unclaim and claim your ship. Doing this flags you.

So, we now have this shiny with encouragement to use it that really fiercely punishes us for using it. It's not clearly indicated the consequences of performing the actions to do it.

If it's a bug that reclaiming your old ship flags it, then we ought to fix it fast. Otherwise I'd think it'd be better if we could have some means of force-abandoning a ship we've conquered without doing the claim juggle and prompting that mischief.

Though considering extractors have been added in a patch last month I'm going to assume it's just lack of polish at this stage. But I'm still going to make some noise to make sure this doesn't fall between the cracks.

If there's some way to extract from a vessel without doing the claim juggle I'd rather like to know how.

Grospolina

Re: Extractor and Flagging, Needs Work

Post by Grospolina » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:21 pm

The 3 Dollar Icons on the starmap are Special Shops. 2 of them offer the program "Block Long Range Comms". Using that before combat prevents losing Reputation and getting flagged.

ccelizic

Post by ccelizic » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:26 pm

Yes, however it seems deeply counterintuitive to get flagged as a thief for claiming a ship you rightly owned.

And in playing with a couple groups of friends I see people fall into this trap or have to be warned from falling into this trap. Which suggests a number of people all feel this is a reasonable course of action.

I see a few possible things that could be done.

One thing you could do is make it so claiming a ship you previously owned unflagged would not flag that ship. It's like using your keys to unlock a car that you own. It's not stolen.

Another thing is adding some way to effectively "kill" a ship making it a derelict until claimed (and it'd still flag). And you could strip such ships.

Final option is to remove the extractor from extractor capable ships and putting it in the shops that sell the blackout programs. This prevents people from trying to extract from ships until they reach a point where the tools to do the job properly are all available which emphasizing a shady legality about the whole deal.

Vorxian

Post by Vorxian » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:59 am

You could give a second option that when you have captured the relevant screens and ready to "claim ship", make a second option to "abandon ship". Abandon ship preps the ship ready for pillaging without changing ownership flag (so your own ship is still your own). This will also ensure that the enemy science station no longer belongs to them as well (so no more spawning once they lose all control, but any remaining enemy bots still can reverse this, so important to purge ship of all crew as you do in any case).

My 2 pence.

King_Damocles

Post by King_Damocles » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:46 pm

Vorxian wrote:You could give a second option that when you have captured the relevant screens and ready to "claim ship", make a second option to "abandon ship". Abandon ship preps the ship ready for pillaging without changing ownership flag (so your own ship is still your own). This will also ensure that the enemy science station no longer belongs to them as well (so no more spawning once they lose all control, but any remaining enemy bots still can reverse this, so important to purge ship of all crew as you do in any case).

My 2 pence.
I really like that idea. It would be a much more streamlined process. Though the whole flagging issue should also be fixed alongside it.

CaptnBarbosa

Post by CaptnBarbosa » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Vorxian wrote:You could give a second option that when you have captured the relevant screens and ready to "claim ship", make a second option to "abandon ship". Abandon ship preps the ship ready for pillaging without changing ownership flag (so your own ship is still your own). This will also ensure that the enemy science station no longer belongs to them as well (so no more spawning once they lose all control, but any remaining enemy bots still can reverse this, so important to purge ship of all crew as you do in any case).

My 2 pence.
Decommission ship. Deactive ship.

maplealmond
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by maplealmond » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Let's think even more extreme.

What if you could extract from a ship so long as they were powered down, but extraction was not instant. (Maybe animate some tractor beams to make the effect obvious.)

You could beam over and disable the enemy ship by getting to engineering, and once they no longer had ship power you could start extracting, even under fire. Make extraction take 10 seconds or so per part.

It would be easier to kill the crew and take the ship entirely without claiming it, of course, but the idea of doing an under-fire extraction of a single valuable part followed by an escape is kind of funny.

subunit

Post by subunit » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:43 am

maplealmond wrote:Let's think even more extreme.

What if you could extract from a ship so long as they were powered down, but extraction was not instant. (Maybe animate some tractor beams to make the effect obvious.)

You could beam over and disable the enemy ship by getting to engineering, and once they no longer had ship power you could start extracting, even under fire. Make extraction take 10 seconds or so per part.

It would be easier to kill the crew and take the ship entirely without claiming it, of course, but the idea of doing an under-fire extraction of a single valuable part followed by an escape is kind of funny.
All of these ideas are cool but I especially like this one. It would add something to stealth runs if you were asked to extract a valuable computer off a heavily defended battleship or something and all you had was a stargazer.