Item/Research Scanner QoL

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
ShinyAfro

Item/Research Scanner QoL

Post by ShinyAfro » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:26 pm

I was just thinking, there are many useful talents that cannot be used by AI when you have no crew, like the scanners for example. They cannot be used as you can only be captain and the science bot does not seem to care about notifying you of where items and material may be, which means you either miss material or have to spend many hours per planet scouring them for materials.

There would be two ways to achieve this, an easy way and a harder way.
Simply, allow the item and research material scanner upgrades benefit not only the scientist, but the captain and other potentially even crew members scanners (As it currently implies).
Theoretically quite easy, just a few changes to that specific talent, could be harder then it seems but i wouldn't know.

Alternatively, allow certain talents to be given to the captain, but only when an AI is present. This could apply to other talents, like the pilots scrap/missile H.U.D Talent. (Maybe all the Talents?)
This would seem harder as it would involve adding a new mechanic.

Either way, i personally think this would improve the single player experience quite a bit, in terms of planetary exploration, just having access to the material and item scanner add-ons while you are not playing with your friends.

obliviondoll
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Item/Research Scanner QoL

Post by obliviondoll » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 am

Requests for the option to make these kinds of talents affect the whole crew have been made in the past.

Personally, I favour having it as a host/setup option. Default to what happens now, but you can change it so training the relevant skills provides the benefit to everyone on the crew instead of just the relevant crew member.

ShinyAfro

Post by ShinyAfro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:39 pm

obliviondoll wrote:Requests for the option to make these kinds of talents affect the whole crew have been made in the past.

Personally, I favour having it as a host/setup option. Default to what happens now, but you can change it so training the relevant skills provides the benefit to everyone on the crew instead of just the relevant crew member.
Honestly, for item scanner/research mat scanner, i think it is a massive oversight that only the scientists get this, especially considering the description would lead one to believe that it would affect everyones scanner. But, as a single-player captain, the perk is completely useless. I mean, correct me if i am wrong, but all the other talents are useable by AI, not this one. Pilots turn/speed talets also could use a tweak to show that it only effects the pilot if he is piloting.

But simply put, the scanners make planetary expeditions much, much easier and less of a bore, i personally think people playing solo (with AI) should benefit from it.

Korras

Post by Korras » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:32 am

Ok the general idea is to promote the role of peaople and thus teamplay. This is of course kind of inconsistent given that everyone can pick advandced operator to man the main turret. Also custom eye implantants also works from the captains chair. But it really leaves crews a bit disatisfied, if they have to reley on a Science-Bot. So it could be made conditional only when the scientiest is a bot everyone gets the scanner infro by him haveing said talent (or everyone gets the option to pick the talents when they are researched and science is a bot).

Still at the end of the day with at least two players you can manage. If need be one can leave and rejoin to switch roles.

Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Mr n » Mon May 08, 2017 8:53 am

Reviving a bit.

The man has a point.

What is more, everyone can see the additional HUD marks gained by the Pilot's Custom Eye Implants talent, so I will not buy "but no other talents act like this".

Let's say that the Scientist with the talent just modifies all the scanners and I'll be more than happy when playing as a Captain+bots or as anyone else who can then benefit once they have their hands on a scanner.

After that only add Fuel pump, "Warp!" and "Use the warpgate!" commands to AI and I can play without leaving the Captain's chair.