Finally got around to playing, and I have a few suggestions

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Sadtaco
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Finally got around to playing, and I have a few suggestions

Post by Sadtaco » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:04 am

I backed the kickstarter soooo long ago, but figured I'd wait until it's developed more, and I've been busy.

Finally got around to playing, and while still far from finished it was quite impressive. This is a game concept I've seen many people talk about for decades, and this so far is a nice execution of it. I hope it gets finished up to the point that it is successful on release.

The UI also worked a lot better than the feeling I got from the videos. It's actually less complicated than it seems, outside of some confusion as why some stuff is locked when you're not captain.

Anyway, my suggestions based on my early experiences:

1. I wish there was a more involved spectator mode instead of the hard cap of 5 crew. Like some civilian type crew for spectators that can't level any skills, are locked out of most controls, but can maybe use items?
Sure it'd be more powerful having a 6th and 7th person that can also use pistols to make boarding either, but currently it's restrictive if you have 5 or 6 friends that want to play, is what I'm getting at.

2. I felt a bit aimless at the start. I think what the game is really missing more than anything is a more robust comm screen pop up thing from people interacting to bid for your help when you jump to areas, beyond the sometimes encountering a ship that's potentially threatening or something. I figure it ought to be something big at the front that your whole crew on the bridge can see.
I also had trouble figuring out where I ought to jump

3. First person piloting. With how immersive most of the game is, the piloting the ship from third person seems really immersion breaking. I wish I was still at the pilot spot, looking out the window, still able to see the screens like the ship's health and target health. Maybe with additional screen behind the pilot so you can look behind you to see the rear view, and a screen above to look up and see a camera view straight up from the ship? I think that'd be amazing.

4. I really didn't like that I couldn't attack neutral/friendly NPCs... They're just immortal and ignore it. Why can't I kill them for what they're selling like Oblivion and other games? This seems like exactly the sort of game that ought to be possible in even if the consequences for such actions aren't written in yet. This was also equally immersion breaking.

5. Some tooltips would be useful. When I saw the Exosuits I expected there to be an airlock so I can go out into space. Turns out they're just for when you beam to hostile environments.

Sadtaco
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Finally got around to playing, and I have a few suggesti

Post by Sadtaco » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:42 am

Okay, it looks like my camera got changed to "fixed".

When typing a message, the game still registers what you type as key presses. That's a major bug that I'd hope would get fixed soon.

And I see you can pilot in first person mode with that key, though not the same as like I suggested.

Sadtaco
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Sadtaco » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Some more..:

6. Had a late game session where it seemed it was nearly impossible to run into any enemies. After you kill a ship in a sector then one(s) never occupies it again?
There is a degree to which that makes perfect sense... but it makes the end game really boring.
Similarly, distress beacon seems to bring the same weak ships with high chaos level? And as they'll killed one after the other, still, the same weak ships? These two things make late game really boring.

7. Only having one boss ship that can be boarded is a shame. I wish every ship had an upgraded version like the Grim Cutlass. The Grim Cutlass was in the game almost 2 years ago, too, which really makes me wonder why more haven't been added since then.

Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Mr n » Mon May 15, 2017 4:57 am

1. Would be nice, but probably out of scope as the netcode, as far as I know, was written for 5 people.
2. It's about discovery. I remember my first games with a bit of nostalgia, it was sweet as I was innocent of the galaxy, possible quests, how bosses and fighting worked. Don't take that away from the new players.
And if you know what to do - no additional pointers needed. Remember you have lots of activities: explore, fight, gather research materials, smuggle, do quests, visit distress beacons (arguably, there are only two of them, but...). Probably something else I haven't tried yet, too.
3. There is first-person piloting. It has been there since I remember. Just keep switching the pilot's camera and you'll find it.
4. Troll/accident prone. I wouldn't want that.
5. You learned this one and you can tell the others about it. You probably figured it out quickly, too (as there are no airlocks). I don't think that this in particular needs a tooltip.
6. Just go to an infected sector or an opposing faction's - you will find someone. You just had a bad luck. As for the distress calls - civilians answer them because they want to sell you fuel with a profit and corporation (WD)/police (CU) apparently are not too keen on helping stranded people at the time.
7. Bosses are diverse and custom ships - you can only board the one ship that's based on a regular ship's (Intrepid in this case) design. There is simply no need for a teleporter in an Ancient Sentry. It would be a disastrous security vulnerability (as in the Cutlass ;)).

Sadtaco
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Finally got around to playing, and I have a few suggestions

Post by Sadtaco » Mon May 20, 2019 12:44 am

A bit of an update to this and response to the above.

The reply to #1 is fair enough I guess...
But if the player's internet can handle it, why not let them? It'd be nice to just comfy sit around watching other's space adventure as like a civilian crew member.
#2 I think has been somewhat addressed at this point as more has been added.
#4 can be an option, of course. And could have them respawn just like you respawn. I think saying it's trolling and accident prone is silly. It's not like other games don't have it.
#5 Again, I disagree with the response. Just seems like arbitrary excuses to say to not improve things for the sake of not improving them. What good is that? I think some ship interior redesigns did address this a bit, though, by this point.

EngBot

Re: Finally got around to playing, and I have a few suggestions

Post by EngBot » Mon May 20, 2019 11:54 am

1: The main problem is that everything is set with 5 players and 1 of each role in mind. The oxygen, the menus (sending, kicking, muting, and player lists), the lockers (only tied to one player at a time), lairs dice, and talents (listing even though you said no skills)

2: The start has had lots of missions and things added to try pointing towards the endgame, so ill skip this

4: trolls will kill them for fun. would make more games private

5: tooltips exist for items and components (slightly off on shields). as for info on exosuits or stations, most info can be found in the manual (which few people seem to read). A update on the manual (both in-game and online) would also help.

6: new sectors, infected, and missions are the main source of enemies at high levels. distress signals aren't meant for enemies to kill, more like getting fuel (civilian) or help (WD/CU), even if most just use them to get scrap for free.

7: there are 2 ships to board now, Grim Cutlass (Intrepid SC) and The Caustic Corsair (The Alchemist). The Grim Cutlass got a recent upgrade (new gun and shields) so I hope The Caustic Corsair gets a big upgrade to help it murder crews aswell.
Breaker of all the things