On Screen

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Mr. Toasty

On Screen

Post by Mr. Toasty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:42 am

For immersive purposes, It would be really nice to actually see who you are talking to when hailing ships or stations.

Earlier games had this, and it really makes a difference, immersion-wise.. It could be just a picture of the person's head, no real animation needed.

ofcourse, it would be nice if the facial expression changed somewhat based on where the dialogue is going, or based on your rep with that faction.

It would also be nice to see the name of who you are talking to, while on screen. Ships not willing to let themselves be viewed can always just communicate 'static' as a picture, no problem.

On Screen could furthermore be some kind of 'periscope' idea, where the captain or scientist can zoom in and out of objects or planets in space, or to better search for loot optically. (it is a shame that nobody other than the pilot can view the ship outside. Maybe add some 'windows' in the ships which allow for camera view outside the ship? This would be awesome as it would aid in making better and more immersive youtube video's for the game.

Please consider my idea, I would be forever grateful ;)

P.S. This game is awesome already, thanks for making it guys!!

Freeman

Re: On Screen

Post by Freeman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:54 pm

I'd second this. It's a small thing that adds a lot to the players connection to the universe.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:15 pm

We hadn’t thought of adding faces to ship hailing, but it’s certainly an interesting idea! I can see how it would add to immersion. Due to how the hailing and NPC ship systems work right now, it might not be the simplest thing to add. I can’t make any guarantees, but I’ll bring it up to the team. It’s probably something worth discussing, especially when we move towards polish. Thank you for the suggestion!

We do have something similar to your ‘periscope’ idea in the works. There are viewport stations on many of the ships that, once implemented, will allow crewmembers besides the pilot / turret users to view the exterior. We’ll get those hooked up in a future update!

Weemanbiggins

Post by Weemanbiggins » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Just to add to this, it would be very handy to have a sound when you recive an imcoming transmission. In a game I am running with some friends, I am the Captain and Pilot, so it's handy to know when something comes in when everyone is at their stations.
Also my friend who is the Science officer brought up an interesting comment about the ammount of automation there is. For instance when a transmission comes in, it is automatically there. It would make sence if the transmissions came in but had to be accepted by the Science officer/comms panel/Captains chair.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Those are nice suggestions! Thanks!