Conduit - A Pulsar Card Game for 2-5 players

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
JonBon

Conduit - A Pulsar Card Game for 2-5 players

Post by JonBon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:10 am

Origins
This concept came from originally thinking up ways classes might interact with different aspects of the game in a mini game way of sorts. After thinking about it more and more I thought it might be more fun as a card game where multiple players compete against each other.

Lore Origins
An ancient form of training for special operatives/Science Officers/Engineers on how to train their skills in conduit power distribution. Eventually spreading to the general populace the training program became a game found on many worlds and ships, played by many sentient lifeforms during their down time.

Concept
Players create a conduit for their electrical current to flow, by placing Conduit Cards with connecting lines on a board while avoiding obstacles and collecting bonuses, in order to reach a goal before the competing players.
Manual - Image and Text Based Explanations

Additional Concepts
The following concepts require understanding of the core concept via the images above.

Alternate Uses
The initial concept was for a minigame to divert power, or perhaps install programs. Ultimately it could be adapted as some kind of hacking mini game, or really anything. However I settled on a multiplayer card game as that was what seemed to best fit the hexagon concept.

AI Players
A 6th AI player would be neat. Additionally if AI was possible it would allow playing the game at mission locations, perhaps to trigger or advance certain missions, acquire mission objectives etc.

Forfeit
Allow forfeiting where late game a winner is chosen, early game no winner to avoid exploits.

Pause/Save Game
Allow a game to be paused and continued by the crew at a later time.

Choosing if cards in hand at the end of a match count against total points earned.

Bonus Cards
Concept - Possibly invent a total of 12 cards, 1 for each potential space. Or perhaps not allow duplicates in hand if duplicates on board are allowed.

Corruption Card - Corrupt the open pathways on an enemies Conduit Card that is already connected to 2 or more cards, preventing them from further connections.

Discard Card
Force 1 or all players to discard 1 card

Bonus Round
The players may vote on an overall turn time where the bonus round commences, or to not include a bonus round at all. When the bonus round begins, a random Bonus Pick-Up Card is placed at the end of every Conduit Card’s open pathway. A specific turn time is chosen from that point to automatically end the game, and the music is sped up with turn time slightly lowered to entice fast paced play.

Summary
This idea is free to use however the Leafy Games people sees fit. However this is not free for anyone else to develop . In other words I retain the creative rights to this provided it does not appear in some form in Pulsar. ;)

Calladium
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Conduit - A Pulsar Card Game for 2-5 players

Post by Calladium » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:43 am

This is awesome! Have you had a chance to playtest this with anyone?

JonBon

Post by JonBon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Calladium wrote:This is awesome! Have you had a chance to playtest this with anyone?
Thank you!
I have not play tested it. I was heavily tempted to create a physical version of the game (since I cant program very well) in order to play test it for balance, and proof of concept. However I thought the week it took to design the game itself was already a little crazy haha.

It does definitely need to be play tested for balance. Some things I thought would need testing for balance are;
-How many cards players should start with?
-How many of each conduit card type should be in a deck? (some are too powerful, some are necessary)
-Does the game expediting features cause wins too fast? (playing multiple cards in 1 turn, etc)
-Is the board big enough?
-Is it fun, challenging, and provides unique game play each game?

But conceptually I think the game itself is pretty sound, of course I'm obviously biased in that regard ;) . I figured the community here would have some ideas for improvement as well. It's fully fleshed out as an idea, but yeah it definitely needs play testing for balance.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:37 pm

This game looks great! It's very cleverly designed, and we're interested in seeing how it plays. We've wanted to make a card/lounge game for crews in PULSAR for quite a while now, but with everything else we have to work on, that feature has unfortunately been put on the back burner for us. However, we'd like to give your game a play test sometime! Thank you for the very unique suggestion, and for the time you took creating it. We appreciate it immensely!

JonBon

Post by JonBon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:22 am

Edinstein wrote:This game looks great! It's very cleverly designed, and we're interested in seeing how it plays...We appreciate it immensely!
Awesome, then the idea is now officially your intellectual property. I will say, it might not be a bad idea to make a cell phone version of this (provided that's realistic, and within your programmers skill set). That might work towards generating more interest in the game itself, and potentially extra funding (I don't really play cell phone games, so I don't know how you'd monetize it per se, but just a random thought).

Your work inspires others, literally. Without your awesome art, and excellent execution, there would be no one wanting to add content.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 pm

Well, if we end up adding Conduit to PULSAR, we would be sure to add your name to the credits for it! Before PULSAR, we actually started out making a prototype for a phone game, but we moved on to developing PULSAR not long after. Conduit would certainly make a good mobile game! With bug reports and everything we still have to do for PULSAR, our programmer is unfortunately up to his neck with work, but it’s nice to think about. If we get around to implementing a crew mini-game in PULSAR, we’ll definitely give this a play test. Thank you, Jon! Conduit is quite inspiring in itself!