Captain Screen

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:24 pm

• I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything. Apologies if its duplicative!

A screen at/near the Captain's Chair for the Captain could provide a lot of simplification of the role.

It could have the usual ship status screen, along with the various scanner contacts, which would also allow for designating targets.

It could have all the alerts and order buttons.

It could have a "Periscope" which would allow the Captain to see outside the ship as the pilot does (but as a view-only).

It is where Comms would come in.

It would simply centralize the various Captain functions at the Chair, especially for combat. But it should not obviate the need for other crew members' contributions, for sure.

mrsandman321

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:20 pm

• I'm no dev, nor do I know much about the coding for what you want, but I love the idea! I've been hoping they'd add something like that, where the captain could see/manage comms or see ship specs from the chair. I would love for this to be added.

SiimplyEthan

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:48 pm

• We'd like to do more with the captain's chair, though we haven't come to any solid decisions as of yet. A status screen could be useful, of course. We have plans to add a periscope-like viewport on many of the ships (some meshes are actually already in the game), but it's an interesting idea to add one to the captain's chair! On the other hand, however, we do like the fact that the crew must relay information to the captain, which is similar to some of the captain-crew dynamics in Star Trek. Perhaps we'll have a compromise between crew communication and captain's chair features. Thanks for all the suggestions! We appreciate it!

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:25 pm

• Thanks for the insight!

Totally agree that the aspect of the crew relaying information is key to the experience. I don't think this idea precludes that.

For example, right now one has to go into a menu to adjust Target settings. One has to activate a menu for setting the Green/Yellow/Red alerts or giving standing orders. One needs access to a periscope. The Scientist hails people and the chat system goes onto a screen, which on various ships can be in really awkward locations (this also includes buying and selling ship parts or getting repaired or using a gateway). There are already scanner contacts and the ship's status in the upper right of the screen. And then there's the readily available ship status screen (shields, hull, systems, O2 levels, etc).

All of these are things that already exist and rely on the Captain to access. Bringing these all together makes the Captain's Chair a much more logical place to be, both in theme and mechanically. Heck, by making it a console, those who wish to role-play without such an aid can just ignore it (or it can even be a toggle in the settings).

Thanks for considering it! Always grateful for the responsiveness of your team on these forums!

mrsandman321

Return to Your Suggestions

Information