Here are the problems:
- * Progression is pretty much nonexistent until a certain point, and after that point, the amount of credits you get is infinite.
* A lack of direction needs (and I mean NEEDS) to be addressed. Having played the game many times, with many different crew structures and ships, it seems to me that no matter what you do, you will take a few of your quests, answer the distress signals, return and take the next set of quests and repeat. This is not fun. What needs to happen is more quests, a CENTRAL storyline (nothing like tomb raider, more like some sort of guidance to an end goal), and some kind of randomness to the questing system. Somewhere else in the forums, it was mentioned an idea where people would bid for your help, this might be a fun concept to play with.
* Sprinting through a hallway to find a glowing person to tell you what to do is just so awful.
* The captain can view sectors and enemy ships while in the chair, giving this ability to all players in the crew at the press of a hotkey would be really nice.
* Since everyone can do every one of the roles even though they arent the role, there need to be some changes. Locking certain features for certain classes. Engineer should be the only one who can reload fuel, weapon should only be able to use main turret, science should be the only one able to research, captain with comms. In addition to this, dont make the talents into passives, make the pilot skills make him a better pilot, make science a better user of programs and scanning, make engineer better at his station. give them incentives to use their own roles.
* There is only one way to play this game, and that is combat. There should be a way to transport cargo, and maybe transport illegal cargo as primary income.
- * Portable atomizer would be nice, with info as to what resources the science gives
* Rewards for research being actually rewarding (some times you get nothing from stuff)
* In combat, scientist cannot do anything that is actually meaningful (clicking isnt very fun and requires nearly no effort, scanning is only good to see what you want to extract)
* only allow the scientist to use research terminal and atomizer
* Hacking as a minigame could be cool, but thats really easy to screw up.
* Another suggestion from our pilot was that when clicking the program, you determing a target, and a rough estimate as to the range to target. The closer your target is to your estimate, the better your chances to infect them. Some system like this could really help to fix the stupidity of the science roll in combat.
* For "Shield Boost" and similar self targetted programs, set them up as more broad programs "Boost" and allow the scientist to use it on certain parts.
- * When not in combat, this role is meaningless.
* Combat is far too quick, and if it slowed down, teamwork would be easier.
* Otherwise, guns need to have a larger angle to fire
* Weapon Specialist has to spec into either main ship guns or boarding, and trying to do both is pointlessly bad.
* Humanoid/robot ai's have horrible aim and terrible weapons. This makes free repairs and warps trivial, and boarding broken and easy
* Difficulty slider
- * Base thrusters make this class lame. With upgraded thrusters, the ship becomes entertaining to fly. I theorize that maybe the thrusters should default to being better to make gameplay just better overall.
* There is no risk to crashing the ship. This is bad. Crashing into enemy ships is broken (does no damage to your ship and breaks enemy shields), crashing into rocks/ships/stations does not damage.
* Indicators as to where the guns are and maybe flash when not in sight of any enemies
- * The screens are boring and there is very little interaction. To fix this, add dialog to negotiation to where the captain actually chooses things to say to the other ship. This would really add a lot to the role.
* Other than the fact that the captain is required to make actions, there is little motivation. Forced motivation is not the right way.
- * Should have access to all ship system sliders. Without that, throttling different roles is really pointless, it is just flat loss of performance on certain stations.
* Warp drive should not be in engineers control. This is the most pointless feature of this class. Give that to the pilot and allow the engineer to control each of the stages of power consumption of the warp drives. (Putting the science block in the engineer spot would solve this.)
* Out of combat the engineer has nothing to do.
* Giving the engineer a minigame to do some minor repairs on the hull would be a good addition to make fun out of combat.
* Directional shields and some way to view the exterior of the ship could be a really great way to make engineer even more fun in combat.