Thermo Reactor temp reduction

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:29 am

• Having found next to ZERO information about this reactor or it's intended use. I called forth my most experienced engineer and we tested how practical/possible it is to use this expensive hardware. Currently this thing is utterly useless in every sense. It cannot be cooled/maintained during high temp and it cannot produce power unless it's hot. My recommendation would be, reduce heat output to 150% instead of 230% or triple the effects of cooling via a special computer process.

I hope this helps to show players that they should avoid this reactor and show the devs that it needs adjusted.

Here is our video

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/214986281

I also want to note this issue was lightly brought to the dev's attention back in september of 2017 and this is also the only location of information regarding this reactor.

http://forums.pulsarthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3984&p=16805&hilit=thermo#p16805

First post, so I thought it should be an informative one. ;)
    Look before you leap ;)

I stream often on twitch. Check it out sometime! ---> https://www.twitch.tv/geronimo553 <---

Geronimo553

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:49 pm

• Thanks for the feedback! We don’t get a ton of feedback regarding these experimental components (labeled yellow). I’ll pass this information to our programmer to see what he wants to do about it!

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:46 pm

• In that case, I'll chime in with a bit of feedback on the experimental components.

Thermo Reactor - I agree with everything Geronimo said. It's a great idea but could use some tweaks to make it usable.
    Layered Hull - The armor bonus actually goes *way* higher than the listed maximum value. I've seen 650+ armor on one with a 435-ish maximum. That being said, the low integrity means that these hulls aren't that much better than standard ones. They would theoretically be fantastic on the Destroyer, buuuuut...the Destroyer's armor bonus doesn't work.
    Second Hull - This one's pretty interesting. I personally don't like it very much due to the low recharge, but I can see how it would come in handy sometimes.
    Corbin's Wall - Pretty terrible, but it fits with Corbin's "no refunds for my shoddy products" persona.
    Tetragonal Surface Projector - Another very cool idea that could use some tweaks. By the time you can afford one of these you've probably picked up a high-level standard shield with much better integrity and/or recharge rate. I think increasing either the integrity or the recharge rate would make this a great late-game shield.
    Processors - The experimental shield recharge processor is fantastic. The others are pretty lackluster, but I like the concept. I bet if you stacked a bunch of identical ones it would be pretty powerful, so maybe they're best left as-is.

I know the Flamelance and Bio-Hazard turrets aren't technically experimental, but they're in the same general "special component" category. They're included in my bug post here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4064. In addition to the bugs I listed there, both of the turrets deal very low damage that doesn't scale with their on-paper damage. Maybe this is intended? I can provide precise damage numbers if needed.

CptSnuggles

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 am

• CptSnuggles wrote:In that case, I'll chime in with a bit of feedback on the experimental components.

Thermo Reactor - I agree with everything Geronimo said. It's a great idea but could use some tweaks to make it usable.
    Layered Hull - The armor bonus actually goes *way* higher than the listed maximum value. I've seen 650+ armor on one with a 435-ish maximum. That being said, the low integrity means that these hulls aren't that much better than standard ones. They would theoretically be fantastic on the Destroyer, buuuuut...the Destroyer's armor bonus doesn't work.
    Second Hull - This one's pretty interesting. I personally don't like it very much due to the low recharge, but I can see how it would come in handy sometimes.

Corbin's Wall - Pretty terrible, but it fits with Corbin's "no refunds for my shoddy products" persona.

Processors - The experimental shield recharge processor is fantastic. The others are pretty lackluster, but I like the concept. I bet if you stacked a bunch of identical ones it would be pretty powerful, so maybe they're best left as-is.

I know the Flamelance and Bio-Hazard turrets aren't technically experimental, but they're in the same general "special component" category. They're included in my bug post here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4064. In addition to the bugs I listed there, both of the turrets deal very low damage that doesn't scale with their on-paper damage. Maybe this is intended? I can provide precise damage numbers if needed.

Very good points made, though I disagree with corbins wall. It simply requires more shield boosters and since all shields require shield boosts anyway, this shield mod keeps energy use elsewhere for the same effect. I wasnt big on this shield either, but it became useful after realizing all shields use boosters and without hogging power to shield things like engines and weapons operate more efficiently. The biggest problem is finding a good reactor, they basically don't exist past 34,000 mega watts. Shields require a ton of power and typically people keep turning them up during battles stunting the rest of the ship. With corbins wall we get 2000 shield points and very limited power use. Which brings us to the biggest crutch of the game, lack of power from reactors. Where are all the 35-50k megawatt reactors to maintain high power consumption components??? They dont exist...

Since flamelance and biohazard turrets require extreme close range to be useful, I categorize them as useless. Phase turrets or lasers are the way to go in my opinion because they provide more options in combat. If ships had turret slots specificity for close range engagement then I could see a use for these. Otherwise or at current defender, flame, and bio turrets are better off being sold then actually used sadly.

Overall my biggest complaint is lack of better components past rank 15. No matter how many ships I extract or stores I check, the majority of items are all level 1 or 2. Its like the game offers decent loot from the (one time only!) bosses and worthless everywhere else.
    Look before you leap ;)

I stream often on twitch. Check it out sometime! ---> https://www.twitch.tv/geronimo553 <---

Geronimo553

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:18 pm

• Geronimo553 wrote:The biggest problem is finding a good reactor, they basically don't exist past 34,000 mega watts. [...] Where are all the 35-50k megawatt reactors to maintain high power consumption components??? They dont exist...

Hunt Shock Drones at Chaos 6 for level 13 to 17 Overclocked Null Point Reactors. Deathseekers also drop them at levels 9 to 13, if a stepping stone is needed. Item levels are RNG and dependent upon Chaos level, so farming before Chaos 6 might produce lesser results.

ONPRs have a freakishly high level cap and come out between 39.6k and 46.8k power at level 13 to 17. They outclass other reactors by level cap alone, since other types with better base stats don't exist at comparable levels.
    Last edited by Tom R on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom R
    Beta Tester

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 pm

• There was also a conscious decision made by the devs a few patches ago to reduce the maximum level of certain components, and to make the remaining high-level components (like reactors) a lot more rare. They also reduced the output of most reactors. Before that, it was easy to quickly fill your ship with level 8+ components and then just steamroll the rest of the game. As Tom pointed out, even now you can just farm drones and make Chaos 6 laughably easy, but the game is definitely in a better place difficulty-wise than it was a year or two ago.

CptSnuggles

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 pm

• Yep, which makes me wonder if high level ONPRs are an unintentional left-over from that time? Not much else comes close, not even other reactors or NPC-only components, as seen in this old dump of ship drops from 4 months ago. Both General and Exotic shop components max out at level 4, so that's no good either.

Not that I'm complaining about having good reactors and I kinda feel bad for mentioning it, but they do seem out of place.

Tom R
    Beta Tester

Return to Your Suggestions

Information