Straight to suggestions, who does he think he is?

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!

• So, alright. After going through several suggestions (and the megathread). I have noticed most of my suggestions relate to already pitched in ideas already atleast slightly, but anyways.. I do have my own twist. Not sure if it warrants own thread, but who cares! I also have ulterior motives.. and let's start with those

As a fan of Gun of Icarus Online, stumbling across this piece of game of "Fly as crew" game... I'm more than in love with this game. Can't expect perfection out of a early access game, but looks like the DevTeam is working hard to keep surprising us. Carry on my wayward sons/daughters. NOW to the suggestions

Marine Talent/Away mission talents and gear
    -Grazing the ideas of marine class, personal armors and rifles, but since the game is designed on 5 man crew. Why not give us ground combat talents? Sure, we have pistoleer and scientist's regen talent, but why not expand further?
    Say, rework the scientist's regen talent into talent that uses a medikit? Maybe it'd be like Alien Swarm's heal where the science person drops a temporary beacon that restores lost HP to crew in the area of effect.. or more direct, like stabbing/shooting with a syringer? Something similar for rest of the classes, thus in a way giving them active abilities that are tied to the talents they've poured points into
    -Exosuit equip slot;
    This item would be only in effect when exosuit is worn. This equippable item would grant damage resistance and what other perks an armored space suit might offer, but may or may not require investments in appropriate talent tree to use (better ones of course requiring. There could be different type of exosuits to buy/loot too. Tough marine suit that allows the wearer to take punishment,flight suit with well maneuvered, long lasting jetpacks, science exosuit with built in scanner in the hud.. so forth so forth.
    -Rifles
    Yes, already suggested one (with the marine class), but would require either high pistooler talent (which would mean renaming the talent itself) or new talent. Though with two handheld weapon talents, there would be a need to make both seem useful. Perhaps phase rifles are big and weighty weapons or/and they need ammo? Or they require very deep investation in the talent to offset bad accuracy or something like that?
    -Chef it up!
    Grazing the subject of lounge activities as many threads before have suggested.. and make use out of food. Give su ability to cook, sit down and eat. Better food would give somesort of benefits.
    -TechWiz need food too
    And following on that subject... (optional) Survival needs. Such as food and sleep and even morale, don't know how that'd fit in the scope of game. Something like in Project Zomboid where your character can become depressed, hungry and fatigued. Though implementing needs to the crew would probably be a delicate process as needs system can either be fun aspect or very aggravating one, especially the need to sleep.
    Though we can handwave the crew fulfills their needs while on warp or something, but guess for the RP flavor, interactable kitchen and cookable foods (along with the several ideas of lounge games) would be just perfect.
    -Alien autopsy
    Just like one game franchise and several movies have done it. An ability to bring a specific creature on science table and do science for chance of research materials, something else entirely or opening up a space pandora's box of nastiness.
    -Upgradable ship interior
    For aesthetic needs, get some fancier furnishing in the ship. Comfier beds or even fancy scifi sleep pods and for functional side, maybe interior defense turrets to reduce the numbers of hostile boarding party. And naturally.. cameras so ship cap can keep tabs on their crew.

MOAR SHIP GUNS
    To fill the middleground between the starter and the boss rewards (or to customize your ship's fighting doctrine). Not to mention have variations for the weapon guy.. For example
    Continous wave motion gun
    -Takes longer time to charge, puts a great stress on the reactor while doing so before unleashing a constant torrent of beam goodiness on enemy while having increasing usage on the reactor, slow tracking while firing, but completely devastating weapon when it maintains on target
    Artillery guns
    -Slow charge times, slow projectiles, but hits like a space truck filled with explosive goodness
    <insert scifi word here> gatling
    -Constant barrage of shots, inaccurate at range and the recoil makes the ship jittery and harder to control, but at close range it's a death dealer.
    A physical alternative for the starter laser
    Giant harpoon
    -Hit 'em and reel 'em in for boarding.. or just keep them in range for your scatterguns.
    -Say, main gun sized railgun. Just so scientist needs to switch between modulate and static during battles.
    Fixed main gun variation
    -At price of having much limited firing range, a ship can get more effective version of similar turret version.
    Macross Missile Massacre
    -The ability to launch swarms of missile, pls!
    Last edited by Leftnant Bombastic on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leftnant Bombastic

• Indeed those links are very relevant to my suggestions and I DID intend to paste those links, but I sort of forget

1. Yeah, while the consesus seems to be not go for the cover tactical shooter style, it doesn't mean there can't be tactical options in ground combat in other form.. Like usable gadgets (that either are charged like programs with jumps/jump fuel) or have cooldowns, each class getting their own 1-3 gadgets and talents to specialize in those. This way your crew can tailor into the ship's intended MO. Maybe with research you could unlock something super awesome, like captain able to call airsupport in form of main gun firing at a marked spot/enemy
    Though I think the developers have something in mind already, but more important aspects come first.

4. That's cool, maybe I should've hunted down the roadmap at my first action!

Also, forgot to add most major important suggestion. I'll edit it to my original post.

Leftnant Bombastic

• We're glad to hear you are enjoying the game, and thank you for the feedback!

It would be nice to improve ground combat, but it isn't a tremendous focus for us, as the biggest dynamic of the game is in ship-to-ship combat. Talents and gadgets could be interesting ways to round out ground combat, and we tried to do something similar when we added different types of grenades (which can be purchased at the Burrow). We're certainly not against adding more talents, and there's a good chance that some could be related to ground combat. But we'll probably look into those things a little later in development or on a polish pass.

Rifles are unlikely, but a maybe. It would be cool to have them.

It would be interesting to have different perks for ExoSuits. I could see ExoSuits having resistances, particularly to damage and fire. ExoSuit talents, as mentioned in the other thread, could be related to something like this. We can't make any guarantees that we'll add it as we've got a lot on our agenda, but we'll mull it over!

I really like the idea of cooking in the lounge, though it's unlikely.

Survival needs is probably not a feature we will add. If we add more activities in the lounge, things like sleeping and eating will likely give you bonuses, rather than giving you penalties if you neglect them. We like the idea of incentives rather than punishments in this regard.

Alien autopsy would definitely be interesting, but it's probably a little beyond the scope of the game for us.

Unfortunately, we don't have any current plans to customize the interiors of the ships, even in more general upgrades. There are alternate versions of some of the ships, like the Grim Cutlass (night-variant Intrepid) and the Caustic Corsair (toxic Carrier). Although those aren't technically upgrades for the ship interiors, they do offer some variation. We've considered making variants for all of the ships, though we can't make any guarantees at the moment.

We would like to add more options for ship weapons in the future. Thank you for the suggestions! Those are pretty interesting.

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

• Edinstein wrote:We're glad to hear you are enjoying the game, and thank you for the feedback!

It would be nice to improve ground combat, but it isn't a tremendous focus for us, as the biggest dynamic of the game is in ship-to-ship combat. Talents and gadgets could be interesting ways to round out ground combat, and we tried to do something similar when we added different types of grenades (which can be purchased at the Burrow). We're certainly not against adding more talents, and there's a good chance that some could be related to ground combat. But we'll probably look into those things a little later in development or on a polish pass.

Naturally, it's expected for this type of game to have big focus on the ship-to-ship combat. As current state, It just feels like ground combat needs a little bit of tweaks or polish. Glad to hear that's on the to-do list, atleast the polish part.
    Rifles are unlikely, but a maybe. It would be cool to have them.

Everyone likes big guns after all
    I really like the idea of cooking in the lounge, though it's unlikely.

Survival needs is probably not a feature we will add. If we add more activities in the lounge, things like sleeping and eating will likely give you bonuses, rather than giving you penalties if you neglect them. We like the idea of incentives rather than punishments in this regard.

That'd be clever way to implement, just bonuses, no penalties! That way "needs" wouldn't be frustrating to maintain. You could just ignore them, especially early on when every little bit of credit counts for ship upgrades. So wealthy ships get well fed and well rested crew, but starving and overworked crews of new ships won't be penalized
    Alien autopsy would definitely be interesting, but it's probably a little beyond the scope of the game for us.

That's a bit shame, but understandable. No other ways to fulfill scifi tropes of sciencing the heck out of alien stuff? Like scanning mysterious stuff found in planets which could lead to new missions or something like that
    Unfortunately, we don't have any current plans to customize the interiors of the ships, even in more general upgrades. There are alternate versions of some of the ships, like the Grim Cutlass (night-variant Intrepid) and the Caustic Corsair (toxic Carrier). Although those aren't technically upgrades for the ship interiors, they do offer some variation. We've considered making variants for all of the ships, though we can't make any guarantees at the moment.

That havta do, capturing ships is the best way get the blingiest of the ships
    We would like to add more options for ship weapons in the future. Thank you for the suggestions! Those are pretty interesting.

No problems. I wanted to avoid necroing several old threads with this thread. Since those threads had no devfeedback (due superbusy schedules as mentioned in one thread), figured I'd do it like this and hope to get some answers. I got more than some. Keep on space trucking, Leafy Games!

Leftnant Bombastic

• It would be interesting to have a system for scanning objects or lifeforms of interest to find new missions and the like. For now, our science system will probably remain the research system that's already in place, as we're trying not to add a whole lot of new systems to the game at this stage in development. But perhaps, as an alternative, we can have more specialized missions that mimic that 'sciencing' trope of scanning, research and discovery without requiring a new system. We'll definitely keep it in mind! We really want to do another pass on planets to add more variation, missions and points of interest which might help with that feeling of randomly encountering a phenomenon and having to investigate it.

Thank you! We appreciate the support!

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

• Alien autopsy would be great! You could keep the current research system in place. Just let the scientist collect alien-material from bodies and have him analyse it in the atomiser as part of a mission. The finished research (let`s say after 2-3 jumps) will then trigger another mission to further investigate about this species.

For example, we have these awesome missions to investigate abandoned space-ships. Usually something went wrong on those ships and there was alien-infiltration. Now, if the scientist could collect research material and further investigate it, that would be excellent. Also, there should be some contamination if you board these ships without a space-suit. I suggest to have those little infected alien buggers on board during the next warp jump if one of the crew members forgot to put on a suit.

Agent Orange

• That's an interesting point. Perhaps if we linked it with the current research system, we might be able to do something similar to what you're proposing. We'll keep in mind, but we can't make any guarantees.

Edinstein
    Leafy Developer

Return to Your Suggestions

Information