Don't Flag Ships Until Leaving Sector

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
mrsandman321

Don't Flag Ships Until Leaving Sector

Post by mrsandman321 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Last night, my friends and I claimed a ship after disabling it and killing the crew. After some reflection, we decided to keep our original ship and use the extractor on the claimed ship. After reclaiming our original ship and extracting the other, we jumped straight to an awaiting cargo inspection which led to our ship getting destroyed because our original ship was Flagged.

Can the "flagging" mechanism NOT kick in unless we leave a sector with a different ship than we entered it with?

Rama

Re: Don't Flag Ships Until Leaving Sector

Post by Rama » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm

O_O
But you killed people! Flagging is not a tag for stolen ships, it is applied when you commit acts of piracy.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:35 pm

The flag is technically a tag related to stolen ships, but as Rama mentioned, it is meant as a punishment for unlawful acts. That said, yes, as a player the ship claiming process can be tricky, especially when returning to your original ship. Having the flagged status kick in when you leave is an interesting option. No guarantees, but I'll discuss it with the team.

We recently added an additional step in the claim ship process which removes the enemies' claim on it and turns the ship neutral (not allowing them to respawn but not technically considered stealing). It was supposed to be a way you can turn a ship neutral and take its cargo or extract components without gaining a flagged status.

For now, if you're considering taking over a ship, we recommend using nebulas, the Block Long Range Comms virus, and the neutral state of ship claiming. Hope that helps!

Rama

Post by Rama » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:32 pm

I thought flagging also is applied when 1) not heeding cargo inspection call and 2) potentially when killing robots/people at repair/warp stations? I never percieved this as something primarily attached to stolen ships.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:24 pm

You're correct! Your ship can be flagged if it's stolen (without blocking long range comms or not in a nebula storm), if you don't show up to an inspection station and fail that mission or if you lose enough of your own faction reputation that they basically disown you and stop sending you missions. A flagged status means the ship is stolen or involved in something criminal and should not be trusted.

mrsandman321

Post by mrsandman321 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 am

Rama wrote:O_O
But you killed people! Flagging is not a tag for stolen ships, it is applied when you commit acts of piracy.
That's a good call in general. This was a mission that had pirates terrorizing shipping lanes, or something to that effect. Since there isn't a brig mechanic (though that would be AWESOME to have to bring prisoners back to a location), the only way to defeat them is either blow up the ship (kills the crew) or claim the ship (kills the crew).
Edinstein wrote:We recently added an additional step in the claim ship process which removes the enemies' claim on it and turns the ship neutral (not allowing them to respawn but not technically considered stealing). It was supposed to be a way you can turn a ship neutral and take its cargo or extract components without gaining a flagged status.

For now, if you're considering taking over a ship, we recommend using nebulas, the Block Long Range Comms virus, and the neutral state of ship claiming. Hope that helps!
This was really helpful! Thank you! I think we discovered the "Remove Claim" function after we reloaded, which helped a lot. Thanks for considering the enter/leave a sector condition!