Map markers and memos

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
CalicoJack

Map markers and memos

Post by CalicoJack » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Quests - especially multipart ones can be a bit confusing if you have several on the go at once. Also in later stages you will have visited quite a few systems so let either the pilot or captain write memos and leave markers on the galaxy map.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Map markers and memos

Post by Edinstein » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:03 pm

I believe the missions tab has a way to show players where the sector in question is located but I don't think there is any indication on where the original quest giver is located. I'll make a note, can't make any guarantees though!

CalicoJack

Post by CalicoJack » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 am

Edinstein wrote:I believe the missions tab has a way to show players where the sector in question is located but I don't think there is any indication on where the original quest giver is located. I'll make a note, can't make any guarantees though!
Yes in the missions tab it will mark the destination of the mission and the txt will usually say where you need to go - but I'm more thinking about being able to mark on the map if you've already visited there and what you found or put notes like "watch out magnetic mines field" etc

CaptnBarbosa

Post by CaptnBarbosa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 am

I would like to second this. If you don't want to make maps, a "tracking" option would be nice to turn on. Essentially, if the AI would path to an NPC or a quest giver, let the "Tracking" show us the way that the AI would take to get to the quest marker. It could be little transparent arrows, a line on the ground floor to direct... anything would help. Trying to keep the action going in the sky.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:52 am

The idea of making memos is really cool. If we can find a way to make it so that the UI is reasonable and it isn't a strain on the networking system, it's possible we could do something along those lines. I can't make any guarantees though, have to bring it up to the programmer. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mission indicators have been added in Beta 18 which should hopefully help in getting to the action quicker and should indicate who to talk to in completing a mission. If you've played the most recent version, have you found that this has helped?

CaptnBarbosa

Post by CaptnBarbosa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:23 am

Yes, I did see the ! and ? markers. That's one way of getting our quests done faster.

I know this is a work in progress so by all means take your time. Something very easy to do would be a little bit more descriptive in the text log for the mission. After playing the game more, I'm willing to help write some mission text descriptions and also summaries for the TLDR (too long didn't read) crowd. I think MMOs had to "dumb" it down a lot and the player base is used to just being guided on where to go. Myself included in this list.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Thank you for the offer, but we have a writer on the team, so I'll pass this along to her! But if you have an example of how the descriptive text could be better implemented, we'd love to take a look!