VR Suggestions and Feedback

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
CaptnBarbosa

VR Suggestions and Feedback

Post by CaptnBarbosa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 am

I'm very happy that VR was included in this game so here are the good points and the bad points. This is from the HTC Vive perspective.

Good
-The translation to VR is not disorienting. The menus and UI work the same way and it feels natural. Onboarding to VR and orienting yourself takes minimal time once you know the controls.
-The locomotion by touching your thumb to the touch pad is excellent. Too many games utilize clicking or pressing that pad wearing out controllers. Having menus mapped to presses helps.
-The speed and motion of running and jumping also feels natural. I wasn't disoriented but it's just creepier to fall from high places heh.
-The game picked up my communication options instantly.

Bad
- I have an NVidia 970 which is minimum for VR (I know) and the frame rate is low. I have good VR legs and can tolerate it but even on low settings, I couldn't get a better frame rate. It operated the same on Ultra and on Low.
- The UI render distance sits nice at about 135% for me. It's just a choppy frame rate but I can get used to it.
- Holding the Pistol feels more like a phaser. I would ask the team to change the orientation of the gun to feel more like a pistol with a grip than phaser. Same with the other tools.
- I won't bother flying unless I have my flight stick hooked up.
- Menus don't always load in front of your view and can overlap. I'm sure its stuff being worked on but not priority because VR.

Suggestions
- Don't let characters clip walls. Once they hit collision, hold the HMD location outside of the wall. If not, then when a person clips, make the screen blur so we know to retract our last step in room scale.
- Please work on optimizing. I didn't think this game was taxing on my video card because I've seen much more detailed games run smoother.
- Please allow us to turn screen mirroring off from in-game to free up processing power.

Thank you!

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: VR Suggestions and Feedback

Post by Edinstein » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Thank you for the feedback! We're planning on making another pass on VR implementation at some point in development. A few things that you mentioned are already on our to-do list! There should be an orientation setting where you can adjust how items are held with the controllers. I believe it should be found in the VR settings window.

CaptnBarbosa

Post by CaptnBarbosa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:16 pm

@Edinstein
I work at a VR Location in New York City. We would be willing to license the game if Leafy is willing to polish up a quick 10 minute experience. I know it feels like it wouldn't do the game justice but it's possible. We have tons of equipment to run the game and since I love it so much, I would teach people how to play kind of like before getting on a ride at an amusement park.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:12 pm

We are heavily considering making a demo version of the game when we get to release. This may work with what you're suggesting, and it should have more VR improvements too. Thank you for the offer! Perhaps we can discuss it at a later date.