Only three Warp drives are actually useful

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Only three Warp drives are actually useful

Post by Mr n » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 am

Hello.

Since we can now (20.3) upgrade the ship components with the processed scrap, it occurred that one drive is just "the best" in every category. There are two more Jump Drives - both illegal - that fill in other niches, but they aren't that useful for general play.

No jump drive has any difference between its levels in Charges per Fuel, Signature and Power Usage. This could be explored for more variation between the drives, without adding parameters such as "fuel used per jump" (could be double for Ludicrous to account for the range, but see the last paragraph) or "research points/research material generated per fuel" (which would be nice, but I understand that you're not keen on adding stuff at this point).

I propose adding some differentiation to Warp Drives - e.g. Workhorse could get (floor(base+0.5*level)) charges per fuel instead of having it flat.

Oh, and btw. - Ludicrous Jump Drive needs it's range multiplied by a factor of 1.3-1.5 to be considered a choice over the currently best one (which is superior to Ludicrous in every respect and parameter).

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Only three Warp drives are actually useful

Post by Edinstein » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks for the feedback!

We anticipated there might be some issues like this when we added the ability to upgrade ship components. I’ll add a note for our programmer to look into this when he has a free moment!

Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Mr n » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:25 pm

I thought that your programmer wasn't the only one thinking about balance? :)

Anyway, you could always try and outsource it to the game veterans - they'd argue against OP/unbalanced items and you'd still have a final say :P.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:10 pm

I'd say we all have an influence on balance (players included)! I meant more along the lines of seeing how easy it is to implement changes in charges per fuel, signature and power usage based on level.

I'm all for hearing your specific thoughts and suggestions on balancing ship components! :)