Aux Reactor as a not non-destructively removable, yet swappable part

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Aux Reactor as a not non-destructively removable, yet swappable part

Post by Mr n » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:31 am

As copied and developed from Steam forums:

For a few versions now, Aux Reactors have been flattened into one scheme. I remember the time that Intrepids switched to because that one Sector Commander's ship that was identical in layout and capabilities, yet had a stronger Aux Reactor (to benefit even more from Engineer's talents).

Why not throw in some variety? A regular one, an upgraded regular one, one that is great for non-oxygen-breathing crews, because it has boosts (i.e. less power consumption) for everything, but O2 generator and Air filter - which are in turn horribly expensive with it. Maybe make it a whole pack of subsystems instead of calling it "Aux Reactor"? It would be possible e.g. to get one with better enough air filtering for mutiny against a parent company wouldn't mean death - an insurance of sorts ;). Or one with superb cyber countermeasures (i.e. almost free), but excessively energy-expensive weapon systems, because it wasn't designed for war? Variable total capacities (maybe even levels?), etc.

It would make sense to have them only swappable (making it impossible to just sell the current one) and extractable - giving the extractors something to do except for high/over 10th level parts extraction.

EDIT: Grammar.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Aux Reactor as a not non-destructively removable, yet swappable part

Post by Edinstein » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:04 pm

We’ve considered adding Aux Reactors as ship components in the past, and I know Cptslog isn’t against the idea. I really like the idea and examples you provided, but at this point in development we’re less prone to working on unplanned additions like this, not to say it isn’t happening for sure. We’ll make sure to keep it in mind though as we move forward. A similar way to get the idea across could be adding processors that boost or modify the aux reactor in some way.

Mr n
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Aux Reactor as a not non-destructively removable, yet swappable part

Post by Mr n » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Acknowledged and I know where it's coming from, so it's understandable; I'll be rooting for the variety, but not holding breath (I am holding breath for a proper XO implementation :P!).

Adding a customisation layer between a hard-coded aux reactor and the values it has would mean more customisability AND that e.g. the processors you've mentioned would be easier to implement.