[VR] Sensitive Walking Speeds

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
CaptnBarbosa

[VR] Sensitive Walking Speeds

Post by CaptnBarbosa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:11 am

Hey Leafy,

I was playing Pulsar in VR today and I realized that there is no variable speed to the characters. I know on K&M, walking and running is pretty binary. I have the HTC Vive and I see myself going in full speed just to make minute adjustments to the spots I'm standing in.

This would also help with controller input without being in VR. Having a sensitive walking variable speed would help the movement experience tremendously in VR when you're trying to reduce motion sickness.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: [VR] Sensitive Walking Speeds

Post by Edinstein » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Since Pulsar wasn't built for VR first, there are a lot of technical problems that can be tough to change for VR. A big issue is that character movement in the game relies a lot on animation speeds, and we avoid half speeds whenever possible because the animation and root motion can start to break down. A variable speed would probably help comfort in VR, but when it comes to tackling VR problems, there are other issues that our programmer would want to fix first, so it isn't likely that we'll add something like this.

We're not sure what setup you're using, but if you have the space for roomscale, we recommend using roomscale for more minute positional corrections. We can't make any promises at the moment, but we may also look into a slower walking speed option, which could perhaps help with this issue. Nevertheless, thanks for the feedback!