Caustic Corsair Discussion

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
EngBot

Caustic Corsair Discussion

Post by EngBot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:00 am

What are your suggestions on how to make the Caustic Corsair a difficult ship to fight along with making stealing it a good idea?

Experimental/Contraband components? Component levels? Anything else you can think of?
Breaker of all the things

EngBot

Re: Caustic Corsair Discussion

Post by EngBot » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:18 am

I personally would love to see a "Short" range, Biohazard/Physical (Acid), Contraband main turret.

Increasing the base levels of a few components, along with focusing on incapacitating the player ship and stripping it of its defenses sound good.

Does Acid reduce armor or is the Acid missile and Bio-Hazard turret descriptions wrong?
Breaker of all the things

AlexandriaWolfe

Post by AlexandriaWolfe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Some suggestions/agreements:

Acidic Damage Trait
Since right now Acidic damage is kind of up in the air, I figure I would post what I think acidic damage should do. We've been talking on discord, and think that acidic damage should be a compounding damage reduction up to 25%-50% depending on turret level, without refresh. Meaning each stack is individual, but compounds upon previous stacks. The stacks should last for X amount of seconds, with the seconds lasting longer per rank of the turrets, and depending on the turret used (Main Turret would last longer than a secondary turret.) This is a way to make acidic damage it's own thing, and make people seek out acidic damage if they're looking for ways to boost their damage output.

Additionally, it may be an idea to have acidic sources be short-range, shield piercing damage sources. Like the Bio-Hazard Turret is short-range now, it would make it even more deadly if it avoided shields and immediately just coated the enemy in acid. Shields could be more prepared for fast kinetic damage or something like that, and the acid could be too slow to block.

Main Turret
Contraband
I think the main turret should do acidic damage. Shorter range than a typical main turret. I think it should apply the stacks of the armor reduction, for longer than a secondary bio-hazard turret, and should also apply caustic air to a ship if it hits one without shields (note, as the turret bypasses shields, it would need some other way to lower the shields. This is by design, to make people also have ways to lower shields). Caustic air would be dangerous to ALL crew members, as it's special caustic air, that way robots aren't immune to it in order to avoid an all robot crew meta. The damage should be lower than a typical main turret, but level up with less scrap and have a focus on the damage reduction, keeping it on par with other turrets by means of damage reduction.

Nuke
Contraband
The Alchemist/Caustic Corsair has a nuke. He should be able to use it. I've come up with an idea of a nuke that's both lore-fitting, and unpredictable, making the SC a bit more of a challenge. I call it the Elemental Nuke. Filled with unstable isotopes of proprietary elements, this nuke fires out and at the very least does a sphere of large range acidic damage, applying multiple stacks of armor reduction (depending on level), caustic air, and due to the nature of the nuke, can apply extra effects. As it's filled with unstable isotopes with fast half-lives, the nuke's contents can decay into stable elements that hit targets (Physical), stay radioactive Isotopes (Radiation, potentially hurting crew and disrupting systems), decay into stable elements that are highly polarized/need to join each other, and this causes electric reactions to go off (Electrical), or simply do nothing by decaying into harmless elements that lose properties that would damage a ship (hand-wave), and the very least it does Acidic. The proprietary nuke elements are Alchemistium-1, Alchemistium-2, etc. We don't need real elements, because he's spent his time making them.

Drones/Probes around Sector
There could be drones/probes around the sector spreading caustic air. For those that aren't ready, it would smart for a few seconds as everyone rushed to get on an exosuit, or put up some sort of shield as a Robot (as I noticed exosuits disappear if there's a robot crew member.)

Alchemist Bonus
The immunity to Acid is nice, it means anyone using those weapons won't be able to hit you with them.
Removing the caustic air from inside of the ship and putting them on turrets means that we need something else to replace it with. I suggest having a small amount of research generate every couple of warps or something. He is an alchemist after all, and he's got a lab and everything. It would be fitting.

Geronimo553

Post by Geronimo553 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:12 am

I would like to see a plasma acidic turret and for the toxic gas to retain. The gas alone gave the ship more character than anything else. Plus robots loved it.
Look before you leap ;)

I stream often on twitch. Check it out sometime! ---> https://www.twitch.tv/geronimo553 <---