Crew Communication

Have an idea or suggestion for PULSAR: Lost Colony? Post it here!
Doctor
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Crew Communication

Post by Doctor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:27 pm

I would love a intercom or PA system, I know there will be talking in game but i really hope you cant hear one person over the entire ship.

shireknight
Visionary
Visionary

Re: Crew Communication

Post by shireknight » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Good point, be interesting to introduce something like this.

QwertyuiopThePie
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by QwertyuiopThePie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:49 am

Most people playing would probably be talking over a separate VOIP client, but in-game voice mechanics would also be pretty useful. That kind of limitation on crew communication would allow for a lot more challenging and strategic of a game.
You don't need a signature. Really you don't.

Tanksy
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Tanksy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:19 am

I think having an intercom system would be great. Yeah, some people will be using Skype/Vent/TeamSpeak/Mumble/RaidCall/Steam to chat and talk - But I know for sure if I meet some randomer in my crew, I won't want them getting my skype details or anything of the sort until we're at least "good friends". An intercom would be even better if they added an effect to the voices to make them sound like they're on an actual intercom.

heroeblaster
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by heroeblaster » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:55 am

I gust got an idea- maybe communications can be done ss13 style. You can hear everyone in one room but not across the ship. If you want to call,for example, an engineer in the engine bay you need to use that scaner thing(I don't remember how it is called) as a radio (extra bonus if with static and button pushing while talking) or just by enabling microphone on it. That will add ore role play and the guys who just want to play can use skype/ buy a cheap earpiece in a shop in-game.

Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Zukaro » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:23 am

What about text only communications?
(I's shy ;^; I dun liek to use voice chat (plus I'm pretty sure none of my microphones actually work anyways :P))

As well, there needs to still be some way of communicating over a distance. I'm assuming the tricorder like device would allow that however.
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

heroeblaster
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by heroeblaster » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:27 am

Zukaro wrote:What about text only communications?
(I's shy ;^; I dun liek to use voice chat (plus I'm pretty sure none of my microphones actually work anyways :P))

As well, there needs to still be some way of communicating over a distance. I'm assuming the tricorder like device would allow that however.
EXACTLY! Want to text? Use the "tricorder"! Want to talk? Use radio in "tricorder"! Wanna hands free talking? Use Skype or buy a headset(in-game of course)!

Orpheon
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Orpheon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Just do it like a lot of other games do it: Support a good text chat and some basic VoIP, let people use their own VoIP separately if they absolutely want to.
Your mind is software. Program it.
Your body is a shell. Change it.
Death is a disease. Cure it.
Extinction is approaching. Fight it.

wiskeyweasel
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by wiskeyweasel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:10 am

Zukaro wrote:What about text only communications?

What about Text-to-speech communications? Moon Base Alpha anyone?

PlasticToyDinosaur
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by PlasticToyDinosaur » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 am

Communicators! :mrgreen:

...or whatever you want to call them easy to carry with you devices, iPulse or whatever. ;)

Works with audio and text, like any sensible devices. After all, may want to tell Bob his fly is open without embarrassing him, or something... :o
Yes. Yes, this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "Pulsar: Lost Colony"