It's Too Quiet

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

It's Too Quiet

Post by tjblackhawk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:31 pm

I understand the ebb and flow of what this community goes through. Having a lot of traffic on here in the few days following an update and then nearly dead silent until the next one rolls around. So to make some noise between updates (not sure when the next one is coming out) I would like to discuss a method of gathering a full crew for serious play-throughs. This just got a lot more practical with the addition of saves. I have one friend that is available and eager to play when I am, and he will almost exclusively play as the pilot. I've got a few other friends who play occasionally and bounce around between roles. I want a crew, a full crew that can get together once a month or ever so often to do some serious space adventuring. That, is something I will probably pursue among friends, as I just play better and am more comfortable with people I know personally. However, I would love an open discussion of adventures, experiences and tips among various crews and players here on the forums.

For starters, my early experiences with the sector commander can be found here:
http://pulsarthegame.com/forums/viewtop ... 7211#p7211

Other things to discuss: how to be a good captain, responsibilities of each role, priorities of power distribution in ship to ship combat and otherwise, what upgrades/items/talents to get and when to get them, tactics against enemy ships or against robots, how to make better use of what you have and so on...

Like the secret room on the stargazer, or what the mystery program does (also on the stargazer). Or what happens when you're on a desert planet and walk toward the horizon for a while....shh don't tell anyone. What do you think of each ship? Its starting equipment, its layout, and its looks? What do you think of the enemies? I know that some of these things are already discussed but only among a few active posters, lets get more people in this conversation and stay open to other ways of doing things! Let's learn from each other, ask questions, share experiences, talk about your crew, what works for you and what doesn't. Let us then, through our shared knowledge and experiences, a fresh and unconquered people set out to find the LOST COLONY!
"Never give up! Never surrender!"

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: It's Too Quiet

Post by yacabo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Well if you want you can try and help me translate the Morse code for the distress signal
I love space

tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by tjblackhawk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:39 pm

I will after Easter (April 5th). Have you translated the audio into dots and dashes on paper yet?

Zukaro
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Zukaro » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:55 pm

tjblackhawk wrote:I will after Easter (April 5th). Have you translated the audio into dots and dashes on paper yet?
No need to translate it to dots and dashes, just record it and you should be able to use a program to listen to it and translate it as it listens. :p
(there's various programs out there like that for Linux; not sure about Windows or OS X but I would assume so as well)

EDIT:
I tried to get some of the programs working but I've been unable too. ;~;
Last edited by Zukaro on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zukaro Travon
Robotic Fox

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by yacabo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:12 pm

tjblackhawk wrote:I will after Easter (April 5th). Have you translated the audio into dots and dashes on paper yet?
If I had it into dots and dashes I would of translated by now, sadly I can't keep up with the pace

But I do have a recording of it here https://www.dropbox.com/s/94yz3t1qtt1h2 ... e.wav?dl=0
I love space

tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by tjblackhawk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:05 pm

To both make some noise and to bring the topic back to my original post:
What role do you normally play as?
What tips/tricks have you picked up?
Do you have a normal/regular crew or do you just hop on open games/make open games and hope for the best?

Bishop
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Bishop » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:08 am

I totally agree with the absence of regular crews and players. I am also constantly searching for friends on steam that are in-game and logging in to ships in search of known "officers" or "captains".

I found a temporary solution in steam groups. Think we should start doing these and invite each other. Allester and I are working on one called "the Great Dragons" and it is meant for the ship Great Dragon. Will keep you posted on it ... working on the design and content now.

And the answer to your question tjblackhawk:
1st: Love playing eng and sci officers. I find myself doing both at the same time on the bridge!
2nd: Weapons officer
3rd: Captain (but this is because of the lack of a good crew)
4th: Don't like playing the pilot in live crews yet (I lack the skills)... but i am learning basic offensive and evasive maneuvers now, so i think this will change in the future:)
Bishop "Pinhead" Archer
Sky is the limit .... Don't limit yourself!

tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by tjblackhawk » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Cool, I appreciate the feedback Bishop. When you play as sci/eng which do you find more time consuming or which is more demanding? In my experience the science officer has very little to do, so if I or any of my crew does both jobs its almost exclusively engineering (as I find that do me far more demanding than science). Just wondering what your take on it was.

rummy51
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by rummy51 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:35 pm

I'm often the captain since when I log on, there tends to be many locked games. As captain, however, most games can be frustrating due to the differences in the skill level of the crew, but my last run through I had was absolutely fantastic! The ship was "Odyssey" and I think you were my engineer, Bishop. Anyway, when the crew works, being the captain can be lots of fun!

That said, I really like the engineer role and I tend to focus on that when I'm captain. I like the micro managing aspect of specific systems and figuring out the proper balance for the situation.

For a long time I didn't like being the science officer, but last time I was captain, and lacking a science officer, I took on the role. Sending out different viruses and activating programs while in the middle of a fight was fun, especially when I needed my engineer to recharge some of those programs (extra fuel is always a worthy investment for this).

As for pilot and weapons, I find they're just ok. I'm not the best pilot, and my shot isn't great, so that likely explains my lack of enthusiasm for these roles.

tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by tjblackhawk » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:21 pm

@rummy51: Thanks for the input!
I find myself in a similar boat with varying experience levels of the crew. Unfortunately in my case I have little tolerance for stupidity, and usually alienate the slowest crew member instead of helping them grow... :/
A perfect example of when a captain knows how to handle that situation was when I joined an open game as weapons officer. The pilot kept screwing up my shots and blocking my line of sight, so I brought it to the captain's attention and he had the pilot and I switch places for the next battle. He pointed out to the pilot who was currently on the main turret to pay attention to the ship orientation and the turrets line of sight. After the captain felt that the pilot grasped these concepts he had us return to our original places, and everything worked as smooth as butter. Excellent captain, unfortunately I can't remember his name.

I too micro manage the engineer as captain. Many players and friends have played as the engineer when I've been captain and have irritated the crap out of me. The engineer has the most influence over the ship, if they don't do their job the ship can overheat and blow up, or shut down and get blown up. If they do their job but not in regard to the rest of the crew or captain's orders then the whole crew sill suffer, perhaps not in-game death but progress will be slow and every battle will be more difficult than they should be. My personal management style, both when I'm captain or engineer, is to prioritize the systems, lowest priority gets power dropped first in caution of overheating. Typically my lowest priority system is science, with the exception of fighting a tactical drone science lab really doesn't need a lot of power so I cut it first, or tell the engineer that's what I want/expect. A good engineer can read a situation and take appropriate action and then immediately communicate those actions to the captain.

For doing both the science and engineering roles, I find that the stargazer has the best layout for that. The engineer can be in engineering to restart the ship, charge programs, toggle reactor safety, and discharge the core, all while being a few steps away from the science station.

I found it helpful as/for the engineer to load a fuel during down time, that way if a program ever needed to be charged in battle the science officer could shout back to engineering and all the engineer had to do was flip a lever.

I primarily play as captain, but I am an excellent weapons officer and engineer. I'm ok at piloting, and I just get plain bored as the science officer, I truly feel as if they don't have enough to do at this point in development. If you're playing as captain, you shouldn't be worried about being the best at any role so long as you have a solid understanding of what each role entails.