It's Too Quiet

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Bishop
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: It's Too Quiet

Post by Bishop » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:50 pm

The knowledge and experience of the crew is at most importance for a good game; and with a good crew no enemy is to big to defeat - lol ... this sounds like a Sun Tzu quote.

I do agree with you guys 100% ... the Sci-Guy is most fun to play as a side role for the captain of the engineer. But when played as a single role, I entertain myself with alot or (chat) virus and status reports :). Another thing the Sci-Guy I think should be taking care of is "in battle repairs and fire patrols", since in these situations engineer is usually very busy with the core and cooling! But I do not fear that these are the only thingies what Sciguy is meant to do.

But Engi Rocks - no questions there!

I think a good Captain with flying skills and a good Engi that also takes the role of the sci is all it takes to become a real bad ass within 1 hour (maybe 2) of gameplay.

And tnx rummy51 for the comment! much appreciated!
Bishop "Pinhead" Archer
Sky is the limit .... Don't limit yourself!

Dynablue
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Dynablue » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:22 pm

I was lucky to run into someone who had a lot more experience with the game than I did and he showed me how to improve my gameplay. Usually I'm doing Captain/Pilot dual-hat but I'm trying to learn how to shoot better with the main gun. Helps when the pilot refrains from wild maneuvers just as the gun is fully charged for firing, LOL.

I'm looking forward to seeing more developments to this game.

Pandemic08
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Pandemic08 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:40 am

I normally play as the pilot but have been known to dabble as the weapons officer from time to time. One of the things that I try and do as a pilot is try and anticipate the shots of the main gun so that it is easier for them to hit their shots and so that I can correct much more quickly afterwords. It's obviously much easier when you have voice communication with the weapons guy but with some time and practice I was able to do it with several people who I wasn't in voice communication with.

Another thing that I found out was that the security drones have a blind spot that they cannot shoot you from, no matter how close you are to them. If you can get directly behind them they have no way to shoot you. With the last few updates it has gotten harder to get into it and stay there but if you can it makes the fight much easier and could potentially save you.

GwaziMagnum
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by GwaziMagnum » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:06 pm

I normally play Captain or Weapons myself.

Weapons generally because I like using the main gun.
Not the greatest at it yet, but I'm improving.

I normally end up being Captain when we lack a full crew, so I just take the buying and selling role and then double as a weapons guy during the fights.

I have limited experience with piloting, could use a lot of work.
And I haven't spent any time as a Scientist or Engineer yet sadly. :/

tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by tjblackhawk » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:57 pm

Pandemic and I just beat the Sector Commander in just over a minute:
https://youtu.be/igz15WMefQ8
"Never give up! Never surrender!"

0c370t
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by 0c370t » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:14 am

I played a really good game the other day with a crew of 4, and that worked quite well. The crew all knew what they were doing, and I doubled up Captain/Engi, using the Engie bot as a turret/fire patrol. I think that a crew of 4 is the ideal size right now, because with 5 somebody is going to be bored, not enough for a captain to need to (or be able to) macromanage everything, so he'll need another roll, and as it's been pointed out the scientist doesn't have much to do outside of battle.

Some kind of crafting could improve this, and could be an interesting system for the scientist and engineer, outside of combat. Especially if it were done without basic components, i.e. 1 scrap + 1 long range warp module = 1 xxx, but rather 1 scrap heated to this temp in the core yeilds a refined scrap, which sells for more, as this would add new challenges such as heating up the core to a certain temp, and would also give other advantages to the components you choose other than just combat things.

tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by tjblackhawk » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm rarely bored as Captain, but I also rarely have a full crew so I'm usually filling in another role. Typically Eng, or Weapons. But even with a full crew, I don't see myself being bored. The captains job is to facilitate communication, judge the situation, and give out orders. The captain decides what needs to be done, perhaps leaving some freedom to the officers on how exactly to get it down, all while making sure that those freedoms don't null each other out. The pilot wants to flying close, while the engineer is preparing for a slow and cool approach and thus reduces power to engines...thus screwing over the pilot that now cannot maneuver at close range. It's the captain's job to prevent a situation like this, which requires constant communication.

Some cheesy dialogue for example:

W: "Preparing to fire!"
P: "OK" (Now they know to steady their flight and prepare to compensate for the kick)
E: "Hot Core, trimming engines to compensate!" (Unless at a critical temp, the engineer should give some time for a response from either the pilot or captain)
P: "I need as much power as you can give me." (here the pilot is updating the captain on their particular situation)
C: "Engineer, trim power to sci lab first" (Captain clarifies the situation)
E: "Already done, temp still climbing"
C: "Trim shields then, we have enough to take another hit." (Correction is made)
E: "Aye"
Crisis averted.

Once a crew gets comfortable with each other and familiar with each other's play styles less of this constant communication is required and faster decisions can be made.

As far as the scientist...they have next to nothing to do outside of battle (which everyone but the captain is in this boat), and still incredibly little to do inside of battle.

Allester
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Allester » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:04 pm

See i really like the science roll too often as captian i find myself piloting the ship which is exactly what i dont want to do and what got me interested in the game was so i could be a guy on a ship not the ship itself. Im a terrific pilot and i dont mind it for short bursts like a really tough battle or tight maneuvering to get scrap between mines. But on an extended mission like trying to reach 100% explored its too much. Science can have a lot to do if used right make the damn science load his own programs if in a tight battle might not want enginerring away from his panels. Most captians dont bother with programs whereas i not only like to get the ones i find most valuable in a tough fight i like to sort them for the science officer when i am captian so ship boosting programs along the top and attack programs on the bottom. An experienced science officer who knows what shields are best for what can turn the tide of a battle also when an attack that would take 1/3 of your shield on modulate takes just a sliver on static and youve got 4 other drones to fight. Ill roll with like 4 instant shield charges so in the heat of battle programs wont need charged and if they would then we had time to get somewhere safer or jump out. And if your ship is so beast none of the enemies can possibly destroy your ship like the great dragon they can backup turret or go on away teams especially now that so many ships can be boarded

Allester
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Allester » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Should have much time outside of battle unless your combing over a planet or buying ship parts though just keep the game moving quicly and their wont be boredom jump jump jump and jump some more see it all

tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by tjblackhawk » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:52 pm

I appreciate the feedback Allestar. I made a post about the science officer in the suggestions tab: http://pulsarthegame.com/forums/viewtop ... f=4&t=1449.
I feel that cyber warfare doesn't contribute enough to a battle, or contribute in the right measure. Every battle I've been in, I could have done without any viruses however there have been a few where shield boosting has been a life saver. While the scientist, and cyber warfare may help in battle I find the contribution insignificant in relation to all the other roles on the ship. The pilot has to dodge, stay within range and maintain proper orientation to the enemy. These things are essential, without them you wouldn't win any fight. The captain calls the shots, determines what is most important in every situation and communicates that to the crew. The weapons officer significantly cuts down the duration of every fight (if they can aim) and can provide further input on enemy location (more than just range) to the captain and pilot.

Now the engineer deserves its own section, because it is the most extreme job on the ship. At times, with a weaker core and in combat the engineer is frantically working to keep the ship moving, and keeping shields up. I've been there, it's stressful, intense, and significant. If the engineer screws up, the entire crew pays the price. I use the engineer as the model class because it would be nice to see all classes be this crucial and important, especially in combat.

Right now, aside from cyber warfare all the scientist has to do (that is directly part of the class) is scanning. There job is not intense, nor crucial to the survival of the ship. Yes, they could charge their own programs, help with repairs and fires, hop on a turret, or help with boarding. But none of those things are exclusive to any class, they are miscellaneous tasks. I would like to see some more science specific tasks that contribute more to the welfare of the ship and crew.