Is the captain The Captain? Some thoughts on tactics.

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Kitchner
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Is the captain The Captain? Some thoughts on tactics.

Post by Kitchner » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:25 am

I think if you add some sort of comparison mouse over so you don't need to keep switching between the shop and your ship component screen it will speed things up a lot.

This combined with giving the currently automated shops and interior with stores selling cool (maybe rare) things I think while you're on the ship as captain upgrading parts your crew will be busy teleporters over and harassing the shop keepers.

TeslaCuil
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by TeslaCuil » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:43 am

One of the biggest issues I have with this game is that it's core gameplay mechanic (controlling your ship through physical screens) is underused. Sure, you can do some minor ship control things through the screens, but a large majority of the actual gameplay (target selection, orders, trading, inventory management, upgrading, etc) are all done through the tab menu.

I really feel that if more of these functions were moved to a physical part of the ship, and ONLY a physical part of the ship, it would solve a lot of issues with different classes, such as the captain feeling meaningless while simultaneously having to micro manage a lot of silly stuff.

Some steps that could be taken to fix this would include things like removing the ship and enemy status info from the hud so that you have to check the physical screens, moving target selection to a physical screen in the gunners station, adding alert level and the ability to change it to the status screens, moving inventory management to the locker area, removing the inventory screen, so that you have to examine the cargo on your ship to determine what you have on board, moving trading to physical kiosks on the station, so that you purchase ship components in the same area you buy sidearms and food, as well as allowing every crew member to purchase the components for their own role.

Kitchner
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Kitchner » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:45 am

Yeah I pretty much agree with that. The more you can put on screens in the ship the better. It also means that more of the ship's rooms will have a use as you can spread this stuff out.

Calladium
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Calladium » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Yeah I pretty much agree with that. The more you can put on screens in the ship the better. It also means that more of the ship's rooms will have a use as you can spread this stuff out.
+1
When I imagine final release, almost everything on the ship is interactive and/or has a purpose (even if purely RP)

Psykokow
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Psykokow » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:32 pm

I have to say I understand this issue, after a long weekend of hammering this game I have grown to love it.

I think a nice Captains chair, with screen in the ship that shows him maps, radar and front, sides and rear camera views (toggling),
also it would be good IF the captain had to go to the repair depots to fit parts to the ship through the robot (if you haven't destroyed it).

but he shoots, erm so the Supply Depot then!!... go there and do the upgrading etc.

So yes I agree there are ways to make the captain role more in the ship and game than the TAB menu!

SkipRat

Post by SkipRat » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:03 pm

Psykokow wrote:I have to say I understand this issue, after a long weekend of hammering this game I have grown to love it.

I think a nice Captains chair, with screen in the ship that shows him maps, radar and front, sides and rear camera views (toggling),
also it would be good IF the captain had to go to the repair depots to fit parts to the ship through the robot (if you haven't destroyed it).

but he shoots, erm so the Supply Depot then!!... go there and do the upgrading etc.

So yes I agree there are ways to make the captain role more in the ship and game than the TAB menu!
I agree, it's doesn't feel like you are really the Captain at all, everyone else has an interactive console except the cap and it feels like you are not part of the crew.

The captain certainly needs a chair that can provide tactical information that he can use.

reidi
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by reidi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:04 am

Earb wrote:Or just give the captain orders, which act as buffs, more turning speed, more weapons output (everytime with positive and NEGATIVE effects)
I really do like this idea. While I like the idea of giving the Captain advanced tactical information, I feel like it might infringe on the weapons officer's role a bit, and once you're on a planet it's definitely stepping on their toes. Temporary crew buffs or enemy debuffs would give the Captain a unique role, something that could simulate their leadership abilities and function a bit like the Science officer with their program buffs, but for the crew instead of the ship. It's also something that could be tweaked to work both shipboard and planetside.

kir2yar

Post by kir2yar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:05 am

Just give capitan PDA (like scanner in scientist invertory), and move all [TAB] options to PDA.

Buyable PDA`s with engineering/scientist/capitan screens? Or as staring item. Move all buttons to PDA, make ship screen show only stats/results (no buttons). This can reduce greefing and tie players to roles.
Sorry for my English, not native speaker.

swiftmas

Post by swiftmas » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:52 am

I have to agree with all the ideas posted here. taking away the HUD display for the ship would open up more communication. If you did end up boarding a ship or going down to a planet you would have to leave someone to watch over the ship and let you know if things on the ship got bad. Team mates would then also rely on the ships systems instead of watching the hud ones. I really don't think I ever look at the in game displays for stats. Idk that would add a lot more realism to it and give captain more control for sure.

As for letting people buy and sell I can't agree enough that having crew member be able to queue up purchases would be amazing. Then each team member can look for upgrades for their station at which point the captain decides whats important to do and can approve. Currently I just spend alot of time discussing with the team which takes way to long over chat.

Vitriks

Post by Vitriks » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:22 pm

When the enemies get tougher and each role get deeper mechanics, the captain would be the only one who can stay above and look on overall situation. If you crew is always alive and they handle their jobs it's mean you didn't encounter a real challenge.