What Works, What Doesn't, HOLY HOTAS EDITION

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
maplealmond
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

What Works, What Doesn't, HOLY HOTAS EDITION

Post by maplealmond » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:04 pm

So I took a break from this game while I was moving apartments. I come back, and lo and behold, the joystick is supported!

Thank you, devs. I'm playing and playing and getting ready to put my thoughts together in a much more coherent "What Works and Doesn't" post because I have a lot to cover. For now, though, I just had a chance to play as the pilot. So once again, thank you!

What Works
The throttle. Oh man even though I had to spend all freaking day getting the Saitek x52 to work with the new machine (turns it it doesn't work at all with xHCI on USB 3.0) I was stoked when I got everything set up. I was using an HTPC, hooked up to my TV, flying from my couch.

For the most part, things handled well. I had fun dipping, diving, fast turning, and generally maneuvering around enemies. Really good stuff.

What doesn't
It's actually not that anything doesn't work, but areas where more features could be added. For example, I found myself reaching for the mouse a lot to freelook, which is silly because I have a hatswitch. The ability to temporarily look left, right, up, down, backwards would be really good.

I had to turn off binary throttle which is odd. When you're using a throttle, that should be off by default IMO. Or at least it should override. This was a very minor issue.

The controls seem to be set so that the middle of the throttle is neutral, with forward/backwards at the extreme. This is useful for braking maneuvers but for the most part I found this annoying. I'd MUCH rather have a reverse clutch, with the throttle telling you how much power the engine gets. Holding a button to reverse would be nice.

If its possible to configure lateral thrust separate from maneuver thrust, I'm not sure how to do it. Right now the maneuver button + rotating left causes the ship to go straight up. I'd much rather have the twisting motion to be on the port-starboard axis instead of the dorsal-ventral, even though I also want pushing the stick to the left to cause a yaw to port.

So in short

* Reverse as an option instead of using the entire throttle. This would ideally be a press-and-hold button instead of a toggle. I'd mostly be using it for breaking anyway.
* Hat switch to look around.
* Configure lateral thrust separately from rotational thrust.

I'm going to have more thoughts sooner, but I wanted to get these in now. I've got a lot more flying to do! Thanks so much for implementing this feature. I absolutely adore maneuvering the ship around with a proper set of controls.

mantra

Re: What Works, What Doesn't, HOLY HOTAS EDITION

Post by mantra » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:27 pm

omg yes i want to use my x52
on elite i have my throttle hat set to strafe up down left and right, thats what we need to be able to do also here

+1 to be able to configure each thruster direction seperately
+1 to the brake clutch for sure
+1 hat view

jpwjpw

Post by jpwjpw » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:51 pm

Ran into issues with my X55. Even if I don't give any input after setting up the axis, random input seems to be being applied. However, if I set all of my axis to none then keyboard input doesn't work. I eventually had to give up and unplug my HOTAS. Really disappointing, but I'm aware that its still pretty early.

Rhadamant
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Rhadamant » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Thanks for the details!

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:17 pm

jpwjpw wrote:Ran into issues with my X55. Even if I don't give any input after setting up the axis, random input seems to be being applied. However, if I set all of my axis to none then keyboard input doesn't work. I eventually had to give up and unplug my HOTAS. Really disappointing, but I'm aware that its still pretty early.
I'm not sure if you had issues with Beta 3, but it should have better support for setting up the X55!

We agree with the points you mentioned maplealmond! The bindings files and settings could use another good pass or two (or three). We agree that being able to move away from a "maneuver mode" and set up each individual axis of ship rotation and translation could be a nice thing to have. We'll also look into a break and different throttle setups. Not sure when we'll make this next pass, but it'd be nice to get it in sooner rather than later! Hatswitch for looking is also a great idea!

Thanks for the feedback!