an alarming lack of a sense of scale

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.

agree/disagree?

agree
31%
disagree
69%

Total votes: 13

aaaddd4747
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

an alarming lack of a sense of scale

Post by aaaddd4747 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:55 pm

ive noticed an alarming trend amongst the devlogs, every time George describes something as large or huge, it is in reality small to mid sized. take the station in devlog 18, he time and again describes it as being humongous, which would be the case, if it were several times larger than it actually is, it is in reality, a normal sized station, this has occoured in older logs as well, a mid sized ship gets described as being huge despite only having 1-2 decks, some of these ships could even pass as runabouts!

<satire>

</satire>

While all of these ships are very pretty, i would never call them huge.
ship: OFSS DERPY_PENGUIN

TwoHedWlf
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: an alarming lack of a sense of scale

Post by TwoHedWlf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 pm

It's all relative, huge, small etc only needs to be internally consistent with the universe it's in. If the ship is bigger than any other ship in Pulsar, then it's huge.

I could say an aircraft carrier isn't huge because a star destroyer is much bigger. But that's dumb because they don't share a universe.
Death to foxes

aaaddd4747
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by aaaddd4747 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:09 pm

TwoHedWlf wrote:It's all relative, huge, small etc only needs to be internally consistent with the universe it's in. If the ship is bigger than any other ship in Pulsar, then it's huge.

I could say an aircraft carrier isn't huge because a star destroyer is much bigger. But that's dumb because they don't share a universe.
while i can understand that for the most part, it doesn't make any sense to compare sizes between universes (unless you're one of the countless artists that has made size comparison charts); these ships still would feel small, and im talking from a player's perspective here, you'd be lying if you said you wouldn't be at least a bit disappointed if you couldn't at least spend a good while exploring your high tier ship that took weeks to get. sure, at the end of the day its all relative, but the day is not yet done, which offers me the chance to talk in absolutes and dimensions.

and yes, i understand that doing somthing like building a full sized star destroyer would be ridiculous in a game, as it would be too big (the rendering lag alone would cripple even the best of computers, not to mention the amount of time and effort put into modeling such a thing), and that building miniature ships would just be silly. but there is an in-between area that is rarely explored, a kind of area i predict would fit really well for pulsar.
ship: OFSS DERPY_PENGUIN

progress
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by progress » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:50 pm

TwoHedWlf wrote:It's all relative, huge, small etc only needs to be internally consistent with the universe it's in. If the ship is bigger than any other ship in Pulsar, then it's huge.

I have to agree with TwoHedWlf on this point; it's all relative. And, in fact, these ships could easily be considered huge, considering that in space, every inch counts. A "small" ship in the Pulsar universe could easily be something like a one man ship that consists of a cockpit that serves all the functions of areas on a larger ship; i.e. the bridge, teleporter, respawn point, etc. However, as we don't have such a point of reference yet, I'd say it would be worthwhile to wait and see what the Developers have planned.

Dango
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Dango » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:19 pm

It's really hard to say at this point, since we've never been in game and seen things in proportion to the player. And designs (I'd assume) are still being refined and definitely not final considering the alpha is still coming up.
HOPE YOU LIKE DIE

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:07 am

Hey Guys! I'm glad you guys are talking about this, it's great to read these types of discussions!

Here are a few thoughts we usually have on the matter of scale regarding ships and stations:

We look at the scale of a ship through the perspective of the actual player, in reality these ships are quite large (at least to me) when compared with the average height of an in-game character.

We would love to create huge enterprise-like vessels with hundreds of rooms and all sorts of amazing things but in order to make the game we want to play we've had to make some tough decisions. We've decided to focus on ships that are far smaller than Star-destroyers or Galaxy-class starships so we could create more of them, we decided that having a larger variety of smaller or "simpler" ships would benefit the game more.

We want the player to be able to run around the ship in a reasonable amount of time (in order to repair ships, fight off enemies and so on). We do have plans for larger vessels with more rooms / floors ect. This new station is actually our first step into the realm of large semi-complex interiors.

Here are some images comparing the actual scale of the objects as they appear in-game:
Thanks for bringing this up, we have a long way to go before I consider this game to be even remotely finished and because of that some things may change drastically over the course of the project. I hope this at least clarifies where we are coming from!

We tend to get pretty excited in the devlogs and since I spend a lot of time looking at these things they always feel big to me when I play as the character, I apologize if that has created any confusion!

TwoHedWlf
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by TwoHedWlf » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:29 am

Intrepid compared to the *Cough*Minbari*Cough* Cruiser.

I have to say though, without actual dimensions, compare them roughly to real life naval ships and something like a frigate is around 70-80 times the length of an average person's height. Those ships look to be roughly ship sized. :D

(I know saying this goes a bit counter to what I was saying about being internally consistent being important)
Death to foxes

shireknight
Visionary
Visionary

Post by shireknight » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Well ships certainly look big in those size comparison pictures.