Poor Poor Pilot

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Poor Poor Pilot

Post by Techman1086 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:51 am

Whenever you're a pilot, during combat you have to do two things, dodge fire, and keep still for a shot. Those two things contradict each other, so almost after every battle, someones got something to complain about to the pilot. Being a pilot is hard.

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Poor Poor Pilot

Post by yacabo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:26 pm

If someone can't aim while you fly, they shouldn't be the one aiming.
I love space

Mobiyus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Mobiyus » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:10 pm

I agree with OP's point. There's a contraction in this role but it's not dev's fault, that's just how it is in any game, and IRL too for that matter. Fact of life: aiming from a moving vehicle IS harder!!! It's for that very reason that I try to help the weapon guy in any way I can.

What I usually do is to stabilize for a couple of sec, just the time for the weapon guy to shoot, and then go on with whatever maneuver i was doing at the time (a little communication between weapon guy and me is necessary). Translational movements seems to have very little impact on weapon's aim, contrary to rotational movement, so you can at least always keep moving.
Colonial Union Universal Academy graduate
Proud Pilot and Engineering License holder

Steam: Mobiyus

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:54 am

Exactly, it's not the dev's fault. But sometimes it is just hard.

PTSFP Paul

Post by PTSFP Paul » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:16 pm

I propose to you that the pilots job being difficult is not the dev nor the pilots fault but rather the captain.
Anyone who would care to play with me on one of my warships would discover very rapidly that they are organized structured and wildly successful the role of pilot is primarily navigator and positioning for overwhelming weapon systems then strategically placed defensive systems.
Next time you're thinking that your pilot is your reason for failing look internally and understand that piss poor planning equals piss poor results.

Ryyx_Starblade

Post by Ryyx_Starblade » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:36 pm

I find it funny because with few exceptions, I find it only a tiny bit harder to aim when the ship is moving, Most of the weapons are either direct fire (lasers) or have a pipper that you can use to judge lead. The only thing that can really screw with that is sudden changes in direction at the time of the shot.

The problem is, since enemy bots only reliably miss with physical attacks at range (giving you time to dodge rail guns, missiles etc), evasive flying isn't always useful. In fact, until the captain really improve the ships reactor, doing a LOT of fancy leaf on the wind piloting actually decreases the ships survivability because firing guns, flying and powering the shield combined overloads most low end reactor cores very quickly.

So, especially early on, there is a better reason to hold still (or not go full throttle anyway), and that is so the engineer can boost power to weapons and shields, and all you need to to is rotate to align the guns. I often tell my pilot to use translation to dodge if possible, and minimize Pitch and yaw. to use the forward or back main thrust only when escaping or getting close. The less power we waste on piloting the more we can use for shields, and guns.

Indeed, on the bigger slower/sluggish ships, As a general rule, the best thing you can do, is align to the jump out vector, or a reasonable star, A good captain with time to make good decisions, will always be able to remember to pick an escape jump vector to a place you know is safe, (last system you visited for example) so the captain can tell the engineer to warp out in an emergency. Once you are aligned, all you really need to do is rotate (Q-e) to make sure the enemy ship can be hit by your weapons. Your throttle (either direction) is almost unimportant.

Once you build up the ship and get better thrusters/rotation/translation and things that make a real difference, you can try more fancy flying tricks.

For example a smaller ship with good engines and power plant can evade things by using obstacles or "getting under" the enemy bot ship so they have to turn to hit you, and if your science officer is worth a damn and you have the right programs, they will have the enemy ship full of viruses preventing them from normal movement. The stargazer starts off as a sluggish ship with decent acceleration, but can be upgraded to a stealth fighter with nimble turns and side slips. Even a heavy ship like the Roland can dance if you upgrade it fully.

So in early game when I lack upgrades, when I am captain or pilot, especially on the larger or more heavy ships that can take some abuse (WD destroyer, roland for example), I tell my pilot(me) to align to warp, and just rotate till the guns are in an optimal facing. I tell them only to use thrust if it helps the gunner get a clearer shot. Especially on ships with many guns and lots of offense/defense. Pitching and yawing should only be done sparingly, so returning to warp vector isn't going to take long.

Once our equipment is all better than starter, I let them start playing at being "a leaf on the wind!" you will know you can start doing this, when the engineer laments that they almost have no job since the heat isn't going up even with everything maxed LOL.

With the smaller ships, I focus my time on target selection, if we are outclassed, I focus on warping out. NOT, getting good hits. I tell them to either max thrust away from the threat and take evasive or toward the alignment depending on our ships jump status. In those cases, I often tell engineering to cut power to weapons and put it all in engines, science and shields, switching off ALL aux power options that have to do with weapons (proj aim assist, missile lock etc).

At that point the weapons officers job might be repairs/fires, repelling boarders, or shooting incoming missiles.

But even in that situation, you are not going to be pitching or yawing much unless you are waiting for the jump to charge. If it is nearly charged, you need to be aligned and using translation to dodge.

Anyway with this in mind, you might find your weapons officer is happier, and your ship lasting longer.

But don't worry, this is all my opinion talking, you do it your way, and find one that works for you and your shipmates. Work with the TEAM. A good team won't be anything other than supportive and making sure everyone is having fun. Losing is rarely fun, so keep that in mind when weighing your fun, vs the rest of the crew :)

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:48 am

PTSFP Paul wrote:I propose to you that the pilots job being difficult is not the dev nor the pilots fault but rather the captain.
Anyone who would care to play with me on one of my warships would discover very rapidly that they are organized structured and wildly successful the role of pilot is primarily navigator and positioning for overwhelming weapon systems then strategically placed defensive systems.
Next time you're thinking that your pilot is your reason for failing look internally and understand that piss poor planning equals piss poor results.
But, I am not the captain in this scenario. I was the pilot. Your idea does not apply at all

PTSFP Paul

Post by PTSFP Paul » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Techman1086 wrote:
PTSFP Paul wrote:I propose to you that the pilots job being difficult is not the dev nor the pilots fault but rather the captain.
But, I am not the captain in this scenario. I was the pilot. Your idea does not apply at all
I was providing you the basis for the complaints against you to be invalid. however as you are unable to comprehend this fact I will default with this.
You might not be competent enough to be a pilot.
There are 4 other positions that you might be good at however! Try scientist or engineer on a spacecraft that has been played for several days. You might find them more your speed. Good luck and happy flying!

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:52 pm

PTSFP Paul wrote:
Techman1086 wrote:
I was providing you the basis for the complaints against you to be invalid. however as you are unable to comprehend this fact I will default with this.
There are 4 other positions that you might be good at however! Try scientist or engineer on a spacecraft that has been played for several days. You might find them more your speed. Good luck and happy flying!
By the look of your forum account. You must to be new here... After playing this game for over a year, and giving each role an equal amount of playtime. I have the experience needed to tell you this. I don't need you to say complaints against me are invalid, take a good look at the post. People saying the the weapons should be better at aiming and others agreeing with me. What you said is still invalid. I too have a structured captaining system, and most likely more experience than you. I have never said it was the dev's, pilot's, or captain's fault. It just happens to be that way, and that is what adds challenge to the game. It is not a terrible thing that this is true, but just a challenge for a pilot. Or more likely: a challenge for the pilot interacting with crew members. When you put into focus that that is what the game is about, then you realise, thats what makes the game challenging and fun.

Keragon
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Keragon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:56 pm

PTSFP Paul wrote:
Techman1086 wrote:
Jesus it's a game man give the guy a break. He can learn it with a little time and some coaching, this isn't a real life situation where you need to find the best person for the job.