Tips, Tricks and Expectations Updated for Beta!

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Tips, Tricks and Expectations Updated for Beta!

Post by tjblackhawk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:00 pm

This is based off of my experience with the game, and what I've seen succeed or fail.

To start, some game etiquette I think would be extremely beneficial to have: (Hasn't changed much since alpha)
1. When joining a game before picking a class, ask the captain what he/she needs.

2. The captain is in charge PERIOD. Their word is final, this is not to say you shouldn't offer suggestions if you have them but offer them at a non-crucial junction. Don't bring it up during combat, what until things have quieted down and you have a moment for discussion. A good captain will listen to what you have to say during this time.

3. Only communicate when it is necessary, don't clutter up the text or voice communications with non-essential information. Don't be talking about that new game that's coming out, or what happened last night on Who Gives A Rip. Keep your communication with your crew and captain informative, and direct. (This really only needs to be followed in times of combat)

4. Know basic game controls and mechanics. Know how to restart the ship, fire the turrets, operate your pistol, repair gun, and fire extinguisher. Know how to add talent points, and fly the ship. You should have a basic understanding of these things before jumping into somebody's game. Luckily for you these things can be learned on your own, during your own time. Plenty of crews will be happy to give you further tips and tricks, but few like having someone who has never played before join in mid combat.

5. Above all, communication is key. This is absolutely important if your crew is to be successful (beating the sector commanders/infected, or lasting more than a few jumps). Talk to each other, make sure the captain knows what's going on at all times. Some things the captain should really know at all times during combat: Core temp, incoming cyber attacks, outgoing cyber attacks. The rest he can more or less get the just of from the onscreen UI or from the ship status screen.

Now for things such as tactics, and general strategies or just overall play styles and things to consider:
1. Look at your starting store before doing anything else. If they have a shield generator that's better than yours (better as determined by captain) buy it. The chances are good that you may not be able to afford that shield generator with the generous 10k starting funds but that's alright. Look through your ship for things you probably wont use or that aren't high priority early game. In the cruiser this would be the nuke, and one of your jump drives (I usually install the long range and sell the custom), I've even sold some programs like phalanx and sitting duck. One time I was able to upgrade my shields and hull before even making a jump. And by upgrade I mean level 6 military grade hull, and a Mk3 heavy shield gen. (don't remember the level). The reason I did that: so I wont get one shot killed by a security drone that gets lucky while my pilot takes his hands off the controls to drink his precious beer. At this point in game development, early game focus should be on survival, after you've gotten your shield integrity over 1k (ball park it) you can start thinking about upgrading your reactor (which can be upgraded simultaneously with shields), thrusters and weapons.

2. Upgrading shields before hull grants you some savings. When you take hull damage it costs money to repair it, beef up your shields first so you wont have to repair your hull. All those funds you would have spent on repairs can now go toward further upgrades.

3. When should you charge the jump drive Mr. Engineer? When your captain says so. My rule of thumb is this: don't charge it unless we're not in combat or otherwise stated. Charging the jump drive makes your EM signature, and power usage sky rocket. You don't really want to do that if you're also fighting off an enemy...unless they're kicking your butt in that case "Run like the wind Bullseye!"
Also its generally a good idea to only jump when your captain says so, its irritating when I'm browsing a store and all of a sudden I'm in mid jump. That's when I grab my engineer by the nostrils and throw them out the air lock. Make sure your captain has completed all her business before jumping, I know shops can be boring for the rest of the crew but the captain is balancing the budget and making the best purchases she can to keep you monkeys alive. Patients is a virtue.

4. Dear Mr. Engineer...I will not tolerate laziness or insubordination aboard my ship. Keep that reactor cool, and for the Love of God do not use the same lazy tactic the Eng Bot uses. Do not touch the total power bar, keep that at full at all times. Listen to your captain for what systems can be cut, and which ones are absolutely essential. You know that Aux Reactor, yeah that circuit breaker type thing, if your core is warming up pretty quick don't be afraid to shut some of those things off. Hell you can even shut off oxygen as long as you remember to turn it back on before levels reach zero. Do your best to maximize and optimize the performance of your crappy starting reactor. Yes I understand that the total power bar is far easier to use than my "prioritize critical systems" method, but this is my ship and my vastly superior method of core maintenance rules. But seriously though, I understand why people think that method is a good idea, and it does have some dependence on play style but not much. Science lab does have some passive power draw so why not cut that to help cool the core instead of cut 1/4 power to all systems? Why would you want your weapons to recharge more slowly when you can shut power to shields since you have such high integrity? This is what I mean by prioritizing critical systems, it allows for flexibility in varying situations unlike adjusting the total power....it just seems silly to me. If as my engineer you use that total power slider on my ship I'll be tossing your butt out the airlock.

5. Weapons officer, I sincerely hope you know the ins-and-outs of your job. That's what I hired you for. Just bring your gun up, steady your nerves, put your finger on the trigger. It seems that the trick with the main gun to maximize damage is to fire the gun when the circles match up. Be consistent, aim, and kill fast. The faster you kill your enemies the safer your ship and crew will be. Make sure to have your captains permission before using missiles. There is no reason to burn through WD Specials on a weak enemy. Also its a bit of a catch-22 and balancing act early game. Missiles cost money but allow you to kill your enemy faster thus reducing the chance of taking hull damage. It's my general recommendation to avoid missile usage on security drones, especially if you followed my earlier advice and upgraded your shields.

6. To my aerial friend the Pilot, really...your job is pretty self explanatory right? Keep us out of harms way the best you can, while keeping the ship oriented in order to fire at the enemy. I know it can be a tight balance at times, but for %@#$ sake do everything you can to dodge that main cannon. Its a deal breaker early game, don't let it catch you off guard. Slam into full reverse, give the enemy as small of an area to hit as possible and if all else fails DO A BARREL ROLE! After combat, get us lined up with the next sector and let the captain know. A simple "lined up" will suffice.

7. To that green thing over there, yeah you, don't be wasting priceless materials on talents we have no points for. I recommend doing the research that decreases the number of jumps required to complete all researches. This will optimize all further research, allowing you a better chance of keeping up with that growing chaos level. Bring your scanner down to planets, and make sure you have bridge medic its a huge help on those long planet side trips. As far as other research priorities...those depend highly on what materials you are finding and what your captain wants...he's the decision maker so let him make the decisions. But there's something to be said for the advantage of always doing research even if its not something that critical. Don't let those precious jumps be wasted. Cyber warfare is also your responsibility though it offers little contribution to the outcome of a battle it can sometimes come down to that small of a difference. Emergency shield boosting is your friend, have your trigger finger ready to go for when your captain gives the order. Don't tell the engineer to burn fuel for you, that's the captains job, the captain will determine if a manual fuel burn is needed to win this battle, most often it wont be though so take your hand off that lever! FUEL COSTS MONEY DAMMIT, and your captain wants that new Lazy Boy specifically designed with space in mind :)

8. To all crew, make sure you level up those talent points but check with your captain before you put your points into custom DNA. I'm looking at all of you...its the last thing of the base talents that should be leveled up. Racing school, coolant mix, bridge medic, turret recharge, and scavenger are way better talents. Speaking of scavenger, if you're playing as captain level that one up first. Those extra credits may not seem like much but they add up quick meaning more upgrades to make your ship that much tougher.

9. Back to pinching credits, all that food you collected...or stuffed in your absent science officer's locker, enough food to live through a million year nuclear winter. Guess what, all that food is worth money! That's right, it might even be enough to afford that new upgrade. Early game its important to make every penny count, pay attention to what you're not using and how you can make it useful which most of the time is turning it into credits through the magic of economics.

Thus concludes the ramblings of the pretentious but competent captain tjblackhawk (aka captain tightpants)
"Never give up! Never surrender!"

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Tips, Tricks and Expectations Updated for Beta!

Post by Techman1086 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:45 am

When I have my engineer, I always tell him to look at the star map, and look at the target location. Then look at the jump drive to see if it matches, afterwards give me a big old "SE --- Confirmed" before I say jump. When you have the really long range drives the pilot might mistake one point to another.

PTSFP Paul

Post by PTSFP Paul » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:51 am

Step 1. Join a captain who knows his job.
Step 2. Find one who isn't an egomaniac (see above rant)
Step 3. Enjoy the 10 hours of content in the game.

tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by tjblackhawk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:08 pm

Techman1086 wrote:When I have my engineer, I always tell him to look at the star map, and look at the target location. Then look at the jump drive to see if it matches, afterwards give me a big old "SE --- Confirmed" before I say jump. When you have the really long range drives the pilot might mistake one point to another.
That's a good point, the level 4 long range or the ludicrous do cause some overlapping on the target sector. It always puts my mind at ease when the engineer confirms with me before jumping.

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:29 am

PTSFP Paul wrote: Step 3. Enjoy the 10 hours of content in the game.
My current play time is 120 hours, and still wanting more.

tjblackhawk
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by tjblackhawk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:28 pm

PTSFP Paul wrote:
Techman1086 wrote:
We understand.. The developers last quote was 20 hours for a standard intelligence person and average gamer... My quote was for people with a slightly higher than average IQ. Your quote is your own personal development and intelligence level. Each person will have a different progression speed based on some simple elements.
1.) Basic intelligence.
2.) Ability to read instructions.
3.) Ability to adapt to change.
Thanks for your input on my topic and have a great day!
Your topic? Your rude remarks were in response to my post, and the player you seem to be insulting doesn't deserve to put up with your childish behavior. You should run for president though, you'd fit right in.

PTSFP Paul

Post by PTSFP Paul » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Step 3. Enjoy the 10 hours of content in the game.

My current play time is 120 hours, and still wanting more.[/quote]

We understand.. The developers last quote was 20 hours for a standard intelligence person and average gamer... My quote was for people with a slightly higher than average IQ. Your quote is your own personal development and intelligence level. Each person will have a different progression speed based on some simple elements.
1.) Basic intelligence.
Thanks for your input on my topic and have a great day![/quote]

Your topic? Your rude remarks were in response to my post, and the player you seem to be insulting doesn't deserve to put up with your childish behavior. You should run for president though, you'd fit right in.[/quote]

Please sir remain civil in your posts. Quantifying and clarifying the terms of my post are by no means childish behavior. You are passionate and I appreciate that! Enjoy the game and don't take things personally that you don't understand. Every statement that is made isn't a direct attack on you. Relax my friend.
In response to the statement "my topic" I was educating the player on the play time. You in your original post did not encompass this element. Ergo my "My topic" statement.
Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify for you and have a great day!

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by yacabo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:41 pm

PTSFP Paul wrote:Please sir remain civil in your posts. Quantifying and clarifying the terms of my post are by no means childish behavior. You are passionate and I appreciate that! Enjoy the game and don't take things personally that you don't understand. Every statement that is made isn't a direct attack on you. Relax my friend.
In response to the statement "my topic" I was educating the player on the play time. You in your original post did not encompass this element. Ergo my "My topic" statement.
Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify for you and have a great day!
I'm curious of what mind set you have to believe that any of that was okay. Unnecessary degradation of someone is very childish, especially when you become hypocritical telling tjblackhawk to be civil when you yourself is not very civil.

Also why bold, we read it, so why bother.
I love space

PTSFP Paul

Post by PTSFP Paul » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:09 pm

I find the aggression of players here disturbing. Perhaps in your empassioned states you struggle with civility.
I shall depart this communication with well wishes to each of you and to wish you happy trolling as this appears to be your motive for such inflammatory responses.

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:05 pm

PTSFP Paul wrote:
Techman1086 wrote:
1.) Basic intelligence.
Thanks for your input on my topic and have a great day!

Oh hey! I know you.

So your suggesting that I have too little of intelligence to keep playing this game? I have played this for a long time, and I still found fun when there were no planets, no boarding, and only one ship. I still found fun in the game, because I liked going through content? Seeing everything? No. I started the game when there was only a few grains of content, and I learned that the true fun you can find in Pulsar is interactions with other people and the fun things that can happen between them.

I still am playing the game not because I am slow and haven't seen everything. I saw it all long ago, but because the game is fun.