Doubled Hull (opinion poll)

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.

Was doubling hull values a good decision?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 23

canshow

Doubled Hull (opinion poll)

Post by canshow » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Do you guys like what they did with the hull values?

Personally, I do not. I am not sure if the devs did this because of pacing or if they think it adds another layer to the combat, but I cannot stand having to have battles prolonged to 2x, 3x the amount of time it takes to bring down another ship. It really kills the desire to play the game because you could be stuck spending half an hour or more wiping out a system with multiple enemies.

tueman

Re: Doubled Hull (opinion poll)

Post by tueman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:20 pm

I've played with double hull and honestly the game seems a lot better now. Ships don't just die in five seconds after bombardment and it adds a sense of strategy to the game.

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:37 pm

If you really want to learn the reason of x2 hull values. Watch the dev-log #66.

Basically if you are a low level and enter a high level system or just one with lots of ships. Your ship can be destroyed before you can even give an order or do anything. x2 hull has made battles longer, but thats good since it gives you more time. No longer will fights be quick where crew can only do one or two things to help the combat. The extra time can mean the engi has to turn off safety more often, or the pilot fly through some rocks to avoid fire. It may even give you time to decide you need to nuke instead of only being able to decide before you enter. It also helps battles feel more intense as it is no longer: "look there is a drone... bam bam! It is dead now". Even low level ships feel like a full battle.

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by yacabo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:01 pm

This is supposed to a game with thinking in it, adding this doubled value means that there is more time to think about what your plan of attack is, basically the same reason the pause button on FTL is there.
I love space

Bleet
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Bleet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:33 pm

I'm in favor of it in theory, since it slows down the pace of gameplay and allows for more opportunities, but full disclosure: I'll admit I haven't had a lengthy playsession in Beta 9(/9.1) to really see how well it plays out.

My main concern is ending up in situations like this from many versions ago, where you can disable a drone's subsystems entirely but just don't have enough firepower to destroy the ship/hull itself. I can't say I've encountered this situation recently, but it is definitely something worth keeping in mind.

If this becomes an issue, it could be avoided by adding a mechanism that if a ship has zero health in any/all of its subsystems, that ship should actively suffer hull damage. It'll also really add a new perspective to boarding - essentially destroying a ship from inside.

fivedollardare

Post by fivedollardare » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Bleet wrote:My main concern is ending up in situations like this from many versions ago, where you can disable a drone's subsystems entirely but just don't have enough firepower to destroy the ship/hull itself. I can't say I've encountered this situation recently, but it is definitely something worth keeping in mind.
This is pretty much the issue I had when I updated today. Drone battles that normally took a few minutes ended up going on for close to twenty with the doubled hull points. I like the idea of allowing for drawn out battles, but maybe double HP is too much. There's probably a happy middle number (75% stronger?) that will allow for some breathing room in battles, without unnecessarily drawing them out.
Bleet wrote:If this becomes an issue, it could be avoided by adding a mechanism that if a ship has zero health in any/all of its subsystems, that ship should actively suffer hull damage.
I'm a pretty big fan of this idea. Destroying all the subsystems in a ship is challenging enough, but this would give a little more incentive to boarding, and in-universe is the equivalent of blowing up the bridge. The only issue I could think of is if some griefers try to wreck a player ship from inside out and the Host isn't quick enough to kick them. It'd be a long shot but the possibility is there.

drNovikov

Post by drNovikov » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Bleet wrote:My main concern is ending up in situations like this from many versions ago, where you can disable a drone's subsystems entirely but just don't have enough firepower to destroy the ship/hull itself.
I believe drones should not have hulls that are better or even equal to the hulls of starter starships. They are drones, after all, not dreadnoughts.

Grospolina

Post by Grospolina » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Actually a drone can be as big as a death star. Drone just means unmanned... And because it has no need for life Support, Crew quarters etc it can have even more hull than a battleship.

Morjax

Post by Morjax » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:00 am

Grospolina wrote:Actually a drone can be as big as a death star. Drone just means unmanned... And because it has no need for life Support, Crew quarters etc it can have even more hull than a battleship.
That's no moon... it's a phase drone death star!
Bona fide YouTube Goon.

Thread of my let's play with 4 other youtubers: http://forums.pulsarthegame.com/viewtop ... f=5&t=2942

Grospolina

Post by Grospolina » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Morjax wrote:
Grospolina wrote:Actually a drone can be as big as a death star. Drone just means unmanned... And because it has no need for life Support, Crew quarters etc it can have even more hull than a battleship.
That's no moon... it's a phase drone death star!

Imagine that ingame! xD