"Lost" Colony

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Sabre651

"Lost" Colony

Post by Sabre651 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:05 am

The other day I had an idea while playing Pulsar. It's most likely incorrect but I wanted to see what you guys think.

As the scientific among us will know, it is theorized that black holes could transport an object to another point in space. So...what if noone has found the lost colony because it's through a wormhole?

It would be well hidden, because noone in their right mind would fly into a black hole, especially the damage you take being in a sector with one.

I've never properly tested it, because my computer likes to shut itself off randomly while playing pulsar (anyone got an idea about that?) but the first time we tried it, my computer turned off but the server stayed on for the rest of my crew for a few seconds and they didn't die. They reported seeing a sort of "Aurora Borealis" effect.

The second time my computer shut off again, but this time they died, so I'm not excluding the fact that it was just a bug the first time.

What do you guys think?

Even if it isn't true, I think it would be cool if the devs implemented the ability to travel through wormholes (sorta like blind jump but you only take damage approaching the event horizon, not as sudden or severe as the blind jump.)

Love to hear thoughts or responses or even just people calling me a crazy person. :p
Captain Sabre of the S.S. Try Again at your service.

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: "Lost" Colony

Post by yacabo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:41 pm

Sabre651 wrote:As the scientific among us will know, it is theorized that black holes could transport an object to another point in space.
At this point, really anything can happen in a black hole since we have no idea what it is. Sure it's possible that it can take you some where else but it's possible that all black holes are formed due to the intensity of someone seeing the absolute cutest fox causing an entire shift in reality creating a black hole (current theory of what happened to Zukaro). The most accepted theory is that a black hole is a singularity with enough mass it makes it so light can't escape it's gravity, and anyone that goes near it will have time screwed up from their perspective yadda yadda.

However, the way I see the universe, I personally believe this theory causes problems, for one the reason time goes haywire when you go near it is because the universe cannot handle the fact that you are going faster than the speed of light and literally slows everything around you down, but I don't believe that we have any proof that time exists nor do we have any proof that there is a fixed point in the universe. This means that there is no universal speed limit, which means that you can go faster than the speed of light, which means you can enter and escape a black hole, which means a black hole is nothing more than the remains of a star's core with enough gravity to pull in light which wasn't as cool as people thought it was (still cool though). Then again I don't have a PhD so what I just said here could be wrong.

Oh and I bet that the Lost Colony just doesn't have it's coordinates on record, and we can't find it because space is a big place.
I love space

Sabre651

Post by Sabre651 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:53 pm

As much as you make excellent points, did you just apply science to a game with foxes in the engine pods?

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by yacabo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Sabre651 wrote:As much as you make excellent points, did you just apply science to a game with foxes in the engine pods?
Yes, and I'm proud of it.
I love space

Sabre651

Post by Sabre651 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Well then good sir. You have my respect. Enjoy your travels amongst the stars

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:05 pm

yacabo wrote:
Sabre651 wrote:As the scientific among us will know, it is theorized that black holes could transport an object to another point in space.
At this point, really anything can happen in a black hole since we have no idea what it is. Sure it's possible that it can take you some where else but it's possible that all black holes are formed due to the intensity of someone seeing the absolute cutest fox causing an entire shift in reality creating a black hole (current theory of what happened to Zukaro). The most accepted theory is that a black hole is a singularity with enough mass it makes it so light can't escape it's gravity, and anyone that goes near it will have time screwed up from their perspective yadda yadda.

However, the way I see the universe, I personally believe this theory causes problems, for one the reason time goes haywire when you go near it is because the universe cannot handle the fact that you are going faster than the speed of light and literally slows everything around you down, but I don't believe that we have any proof that time exists nor do we have any proof that there is a fixed point in the universe. This means that there is no universal speed limit, which means that you can go faster than the speed of light, which means you can enter and escape a black hole, which means a black hole is nothing more than the remains of a star's core with enough gravity to pull in light which wasn't as cool as people thought it was (still cool though). Then again I don't have a PhD so what I just said here could be wrong.

Oh and I bet that the Lost Colony just doesn't have it's coordinates on record, and we can't find it because space is a big place.
We have found evidence of time dilation, we have done tests with jets and atomic clocks. Also satellite's clocks have to be changed a bit in order so they don't lose "Earth time" because of their speed orbiting the Earth.

Also black holes are more about density than mass, when a black hole comes from a star, it does not get new mass. In fact almost any mass can become a black hole, it's just that smaller masses don't like to exist for too long. Good old hawking radiation.

yacabo
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by yacabo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Okay so time exists in my head now (a bit of a universe rock), though my subconsious is going to try to disprove time again, and I now know that it's density instead mass.

Still though, for my """""""""theory""""""""" to be true, all it needs is the lack of fixed points in the universe.
I love space

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:30 am

If you are talking about fixed point as in space then yeah. There is "fixed" points, however these points are sorta both. You see nothing can go faster than light relative to the space it is in. Also time acts in such a way that it is very easy to tell that this space is a fixed point. However there is a catch. Space can be expanded and contractes, it can also be moved. Space itself would be the only thing that can move faster than light, because it is space. So in that sense it is not.

So what is it then? Fixed or not fixed? The answer is still fixed.

It all boils down to relativity. Imagine this, you are on a boat in a place where the speed limit is 5 knots relative to the water. Lets say you are in still water and are still, if you stick a speed paddle it would read 0 knots. If the water stayed still but you moved 3 knots it would read 3 knots. However, imagine that you are now going on a fast river with water rushing down at 10 knots, you think it would break the limit? Well if you too are moving 10 knots then when you put the meter in the water it would say 0! That is because both you and the water is moving at the same speed. The most interesting part is if you try to stay still with moving water, then it would say 10! By staying still in moving water you broke the speed limit. The water is the fixed point, the water is moving at 0 knots even when relative to the land it might be moving at 10.

Basically the water is space, different areas of space can move. To someone sitting in "still" space someone floating still in moving space looks like they are moving. That is why it is very important that the space must be measured right around the object in question. If the space around you suddenly started moving faster than light you would not feel a thing, 0 Gs. This is because you have not moved relative to the space around you.

If there was space moving, a person sitting still, and someone trying to stay still relative to the space outside the moving space, that person is moving.

So in the end. Yes there are fixed points in the universe, but those fixed points can move. Nothing can move faster than light relative to the fixed point they are currently in. The universe is awesome.

Proximus

Post by Proximus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Techman1086 wrote:If you are talking about fixed point as in space then yeah. There is "fixed" points, however these points are sorta both. You see nothing can go faster than light relative to the space it is in. Also time acts in such a way that it is very easy to tell that this space is a fixed point. However there is a catch. Space can be expanded and contractes, it can also be moved. Space itself would be the only thing that can move faster than light, because it is space. So in that sense it is not.

So what is it then? Fixed or not fixed? The answer is still fixed.

It all boils down to relativity. Imagine this, you are on a boat in a place where the speed limit is 5 knots relative to the water. Lets say you are in still water and are still, if you stick a speed paddle it would read 0 knots. If the water stayed still but you moved 3 knots it would read 3 knots. However, imagine that you are now going on a fast river with water rushing down at 10 knots, you think it would break the limit? Well if you too are moving 10 knots then when you put the meter in the water it would say 0! That is because both you and the water is moving at the same speed. The most interesting part is if you try to stay still with moving water, then it would say 10! By staying still in moving water you broke the speed limit. The water is the fixed point, the water is moving at 0 knots even when relative to the land it might be moving at 10.

Basically the water is space, different areas of space can move. To someone sitting in "still" space someone floating still in moving space looks like they are moving. That is why it is very important that the space must be measured right around the object in question. If the space around you suddenly started moving faster than light you would not feel a thing, 0 Gs. This is because you have not moved relative to the space around you.

If there was space moving, a person sitting still, and someone trying to stay still relative to the space outside the moving space, that person is moving.

So in the end. Yes there are fixed points in the universe, but those fixed points can move. Nothing can move faster than light relative to the fixed point they are currently in. The universe is awesome.
Hmm, not sure about that one, Einstien stated if you shine a torch on a moving train would the light from the torch be traveling at the speed of light plus the speed of the train? Turns out no. If the the train were traveling at the speed of light the photons from the torch would not leave the torch.

As stated above time dilation is a thing.
The speed of light is the maximum speed limit through space time.
Speed = distance/time so if the distance has not changed and the speed cannot exceed the speed limit the only thing left to change is time :shock:

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:22 pm

Proximus wrote: Hmm, not sure about that one, Einstien stated if you shine a torch on a moving train would the light from the torch be traveling at the speed of light plus the speed of the train? Turns out no. If the the train were traveling at the speed of light the photons from the torch would not leave the torch.

No, he said the exact opposite, if the train was moving near the speed of light and you turned on a flashlight the light would come out at the speed of light. So the light would be traveling at the speed of light to the person on the train, but it is not the speed of light plus the speed of train. If I were observing the train I would also see the light moving at the speed of light. So we both see the light moving at the same speed, even though the train is moving. This is what time dilation is, the time in the train is moving slower so that "slower" light looks like it is moving at light speed and the observer still sees it a light speed.

If what you said were true then it would completely destroy the theory of relativity. One of the big parts of it is if someone was in a "train car" that had no windows (closed system), it is impossible to tell what speed you are moving at. If you were right then all you would have to do it shine a torch and measure the speed since light is constant.