Small Warp Improvement

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Arcadianer

Small Warp Improvement

Post by Arcadianer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLHO_E_U8o4
We all know that scene from the Star Trek Movie but there are two things i want to see in the game.

1.Pilot is Warping ...
I like the idea that the Engeneer is charging and calculating the Warp jump ... but in my Oppinion the Pilot is the one Person who is responsible for Engaging the Warp. Which brings me to the next Point...

2. Make the Jump more Interesting (at-least the start)

In the Scene the Pilot Engages the warp drive ... punches the throttle(with an awesome sound) and 2 seconds later ... BOOM

It would make the Jump more Critical and more Intence that just a click on a Screen.

I would realy like to see those two little things in the Game

Proximus

Re: Small Warp Improvement

Post by Proximus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:19 pm

Yeah I agree the jump could do with a little more "pazzaz".
I love the sound effects when the jump drive is charging :D
I'm sure they will get round polishing the mechanic once the core areas of the game are complete.

Morjax

Post by Morjax » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:03 am

Proximus wrote: I love the sound effects when the jump drive is charging :D
As the team engineer, The sound of the engine spooling up for warp is so very delicious! :D
Bona fide YouTube Goon.

Thread of my let's play with 4 other youtubers: http://forums.pulsarthegame.com/viewtop ... f=5&t=2942

maplealmond
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by maplealmond » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:19 pm

I would love if Warp engaged (no pun intended) pretty much everyone.

Captain sets the navigation node. Science activates jump drive calculation (which can be done independently of warp core charging and does not raise ship EM signature.) Engineering charges the core. Once both of those are done, a quick finalize and then the pilot points at the node and hits the warp button, at which point the ship goes to warp.

It would also help avoid misfires, when the pilot is turning towards the right node and engineering pushes the button too early.

CaptnBarbosa

Post by CaptnBarbosa » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:19 pm

maplealmond wrote:I would love if Warp engaged (no pun intended) pretty much everyone.

Captain sets the navigation node. Science activates jump drive calculation (which can be done independently of warp core charging and does not raise ship EM signature.) Engineering charges the core. Once both of those are done, a quick finalize and then the pilot points at the node and hits the warp button, at which point the ship goes to warp.

It would also help avoid misfires, when the pilot is turning towards the right node and engineering pushes the button too early.
I agree. I would like the Science Officer to initiate calculations for the jump. The Engineer spools up, the Science initiates calculations, and the pilot should get the final punch.

Trusin

Post by Trusin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:02 pm

These exact suggestions were made several months ago. We will see. I think once warp is engaged you should have to bring the ship to at least 25% throttle to "activate" the warp. This would have to ensure you MUST have engine power and not be overheating.

Morjax

Post by Morjax » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:12 am

Trusin wrote:These exact suggestions were made several months ago. We will see. I think once warp is engaged you should have to bring the ship to at least 25% throttle to "activate" the warp. This would have to ensure you MUST have engine power and not be overheating.
Though I have to say that I love the delicious dangerousness of the possibility of jumping with an overheating core (similar to the sexy danger of the blind jump). Live life on the hedge, I say!
Bona fide YouTube Goon.

Thread of my let's play with 4 other youtubers: http://forums.pulsarthegame.com/viewtop ... f=5&t=2942

subunit

Post by subunit » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:21 am

Trusin wrote:These exact suggestions were made several months ago. We will see. I think once warp is engaged you should have to bring the ship to at least 25% throttle to "activate" the warp. This would have to ensure you MUST have engine power and not be overheating.
This small change would make jumping into the middle of a minefield much more of a challenge for the pilot (which would be good, I think). It would also prevent jumping "through" nearby objects and give the pilot something more interesting to do during the alignment- ie take us clear of that station and align with sector XXX.

I would also like to suggest that some kind of skill-testing piloting feat (like the "warp tunnel" from Star rangers- see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyhNvvSNfKg) be required to make the blind jump successfully, with failure meaning destruction. It would be cool if everyone was packed on the bridge watching while the pilot had to make the life-or-death feat.

CaptnBarbosa

Post by CaptnBarbosa » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 am

I would like warping to go as follows to make it interesting

1) Pilot must have clear line of sight to warp position
2) Science Officer must have calculations
3) Engineer has to prep the drive
4) Pilot must engage warp at 10% propulsion once calculations and drive are prepped.

Super fun to warp every time. It'll get the crews working together more.

obliviondoll
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by obliviondoll » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm

There are at least a couple of jump points which are reliant on your ability to initiate a jump while the ship is NOT moving. Also, binary controls are a thing, and you can't set 10% or 25% or whatever throttle with binary, only 0 or 100%. That said, we already have reliance on the pilot as PART of the process for initiating a jump, in aligning to the destination. The one who needs more of a role in the process is the scientist. Their station uses power for jump calculation, but they don't DO anything to contribute.

Maybe your exit speed on returning to realspace could be dependent on some alignment setting the scientist has to adjust while the ship warps? Or even a co-op minigame with both the scientist and engineer aligning different settings to help mitigate the warp exit effects, since the engineer's current job is just pushing a button twice. Particularly bad performance could cause shield and/or system damage, but you only need to have one or the other doing a decent job to come out safely, and with both doing well, can drop back into realspace with the pilot having instant full control.

Personally, I think actually triggering the warp is in the right place being the engineer's responsibility. It should be that or a button on/near the captain's chair, which THEY activate.