Pulsar: Class system

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
PoshTortoise
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Pulsar: Class system

Post by PoshTortoise » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:38 am

Hello all, I am new to the forum and crazy about pulsar but I have a nagging question.

I am not sure if the class system is simply a label for players, locks what they are able to do or makes them more proficient at their assigned skill. I hope its neither of these as I would quite like to be able to switch what I am doing from time to time as I would not like being stuck as a scientist or a pilot for my entire play through. I feel as though it should be easy to switch between classes and that there should not even be a label at all. Simply if someone wishes to take over as being a pilot they may or if someone is getting tired of operating the guns then they can rest a little as a scientist.

I am not sure how this can be improved but I believe its much more fun if everyone does as they wish during each playthrough and agree to which roles they want each FTL jump to make things interesting.

Agree with me, disagree or smother me in apricots I dont care as I know the alpha will be here in no time :D

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Pulsar: Class system

Post by Edinstein » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:45 pm

Hello PoshTortoise!

The classes is Pulsar will most likely act as a method to become proficient in one area of the ship during each playthough.
Basically any class can perform most tasks on the ship moderately, they just won't be able to excel at them. This is important because we don't want the rest of the crew to feel "Stuck" when one of the players perishes.

Throughout Alpha and Beta we will be adding lots of stuff for each class to do in an effort to make each one deep and engaging, as well as fun. We are hoping this, along with quicker sessions of Gameplay due to the Permadeath feature will make for a fun, replayable game. :)

We are thinking of an idea to implement trading or swapping classes outside of combat. No guarantees just yet though.