Do we really need more starter ships?

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Do we really need more starter ships?

Post by Techman1086 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:34 pm

After the new update adding the CU Outridder as a starter ship I began to wonder, what about non-starter ships?

By non-starter ships I mean ships designed for players to control that they can not start the game with. The only way to get a non-starter ship is to steal it from an AI crew if you find it in space.

The new CU Outridder has the ability to grow it's own research over time. This kind of ability is what many non-starter ships should have. It could be anything from stronger weapons to better diplomacy that can affect how the player plays the game. Having non-starter ships with abilities can help motivate crews to takeover ships. If a crew likes the ship that they are fighting's special abilities then that might mean they decide to attempt takeover.

So yeah, thats what I think. I really want to see some pretty amazing new ships that need to be worked for to get.

obliviondoll
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Do we really need more starter ships?

Post by obliviondoll » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:08 am

Honestly, when the game is later in development, and closer to "ready", I hope the "starter" ships start out locked, and you have to capture/defeat/do something to EARN access to starting your run with most of them. Having a small selection of actually "starter" unlocked ships - maybe 1 for each major faction - would be great. As you play, and advance in your run, and experience different things in your starting ships, you gain the ability to start a run in the ships you encountered along the way.

victort
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by victort » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:54 pm

I'm looking forward to there just being ships i can buy.

maybe a new starbase type like Shipyard? or maybe just Repair despots can print out the ship i wanna buy (since I can teleport over there anyway), selling my ship may have it deprinted, and the new one printed out.

at least until Shipyards are a thing.

anyway.. limiting starter ships is a fine idea. but buying/selling ships is what should replace it. Capturing ships shouldn't be the only way.

Techman1086
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Post by Techman1086 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:37 am

victort wrote:I'm looking forward to there just being ships i can buy.

maybe a new starbase type like Shipyard? or maybe just Repair despots can print out the ship i wanna buy (since I can teleport over there anyway), selling my ship may have it deprinted, and the new one printed out.

at least until Shipyards are a thing.

anyway.. limiting starter ships is a fine idea. but buying/selling ships is what should replace it. Capturing ships shouldn't be the only way.
I really like that idea about buying and selling ships. Reminds me of an old idea I had about balancing ships but I don't remember if I ever posted about it. I like the idea and it would add a whole new dynamic into the game. (If buying and selling ships where a thing then I would use it with boarding and build my own market. Buy a cheap ship, take over expensive ship, sell ship, buy cheap ship and repeat)

The only problem I could see that might get in the way is one outside of gameplay, the lore. I don't know how willing people will be to trade knowing they are locked in a single galaxy which's area is slowing being shrunk by an unstoppable force and everything else falling into chaos.

I guess you can always find someone willing to make a quick buck.

Khobai

Post by Khobai » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:13 pm

Honestly the outrider should be a non-starter ship anyway.

Its incredibly overpowered as a starter ship because you can use it to jumpstart research then just capture a roland or whatever other ship you want to play and keep all the research from the outrider.

theres no reason not to start in an outrider becaue of the incredible research bonus