[MOD] New items

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Loupyboy

[MOD] New items

Post by Loupyboy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Okay so, allow me to introduce myself first.
I'm Loupyboy (a.k.a. Okami) and I make content such as games, music and that kind of stuff.

The reason I'm making this thread is that I made one on the Steam forums, but I thought it would be better to get the main thread there, on the official forum.

As the title says, I'm creating a mod that adds or modify several items ingame.
For now, I'm only toying a bit (I added a broken Reactor called the "Colonial OVERCHEAT"), but I may create actual mods in the future. I'm planning on creating a lightsaber thing, new ship designs, new planets and that kind of things.

For peoples wondering "How can he?!": I'm using ILSpy with a plugin that helps to inject code. To work, the mods will require to update the Assembly-CSharp.dll (maybe I'll work on more ways to add things, like Asset Packages). Try to do your own mods, while I'm working on mines!

Also, I think it would be cool if the devs could share a mod policy with us (so that we know what to do or not to do with their game).
---Game developer and content creator---

Tom R
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: [MOD] New items

Post by Tom R » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:56 am

I use something similar to do datamining for a wiki I'm casually working on. That includes closely inspecting game mechanics and writing exporters to automate the wiki on patch days. Hit me up on the PULSAR Discord if you're interested in talking technicals.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:01 pm

We do not currently have an established mod policy, as PULSAR doesn't officially support modding. However, we do ask that you be respectful to other players and make sure that your mods don't affect anyone unwilling to participate in a modded version of the game.

We feel it necessary to warn you, modding PULSAR might not be an easy task due to it still being in development. The networking solution may change, and we may end up obsfucating the code to combat cheat engines, which might complicate your work. But you can certainly give it a try, and we hope you have fun! Good luck!

Tom R
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Tom R » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks for being lenient about this. And no worries about complicating things; do what's good for the game.

Regarding anti-cheat, are you interested in potential exploits that are only possible with a modified client? (e.g., things that aren't checked correctly by the host/server) Or just vanilla exploits? Can send by e-mail like other questionable stuff.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:24 pm

The moment we turn on our anti-cheating mechanisms it's going to be difficult on anyone trying to mod the game. We're interested in preventing both modified clients and vanilla exploits from hurting player experiences.

Loupyboy

Post by Loupyboy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

Hey! Thanks for the answers!
Well, regarding your anti-cheat engine, it would be nice to include an option to disable it (in private or LAN games for example).

My modded games are labeled as [MODDED], so that players can choose wether to join or not.
I'll try my best to get fun out of this!
---Game developer and content creator---