Localization in Russian

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Chasovoy

Localization in Russian

Post by Chasovoy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:56 am

Hello, I appeal to the administration. I began to Russify the game. Almost half the game has been translated, only dialogues, classes, missions, have not been translated. And I can not find the text responsible for the main game menu. I ask for your permission to distribute the translation, or, in order for you to use my translation for your own purposes, I agree to help you with any means and capabilities. And if, my actions are illegal, in relation to your project, just let me know about it and I'll stop it. I do not want to catch up with the version of the game and remake the translation, I want the translation to be ALREADY and remained.
Last edited by Chasovoy on Fri May 04, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Localization in Russian

Post by Edinstein » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Thank you for your work translating the game, we appreciate that you're willing to help. We do intend to have the game translated into different languages, and Russian will likely be among them. However, we're waiting until the game is complete and the text is finalized before we have anyone translate it, as new missions and dialog will be added and most of the text currently in the game is prone to change. So we won't officially support translations until the game's full release. Nevertheless, thank you for your offer to help!

Chasovoy

Post by Chasovoy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:17 am

Edinstein wrote:Thank you for your work translating the game, we appreciate that you're willing to help. We do intend to have the game translated into different languages, and Russian will likely be among them. However, we're waiting until the game is complete and the text is finalized before we have anyone translate it, as new missions and dialog will be added and most of the text currently in the game is prone to change. So we won't officially support translations until the game's full release. Nevertheless, thank you for your offer to help!
Now one question, is it possible to continue such an amateur translation? It increases at the moment the number of Russian-speaking people playing your game, but since your project and the rights to it are only yours, I need permission, I'm an honest man.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Wed May 02, 2018 1:27 pm

How do you intend to distribute the translation? We can't give permission to distribute an unofficial executable as that would be piracy, but you could technically edit the default campaign file (which controls the mission text, character dialog, and ship hailing), replace it with the translations, and give it to people who own the game. We can't officially condone it, but it could be a temporary solution, like an unofficial mod, if you want to get some of the text to Russian speakers before we do localization.

For your sake, however, we do recommend waiting for an official translation, as most of the game's text is the dialog and missions (which combined is probably somewhere around 70,000 words, give or take). But thank you again for wanting to help, and I hope this clarifies!

Chasovoy

Post by Chasovoy » Wed May 02, 2018 11:23 pm

Edinstein wrote:How do you intend to distribute the translation? We can't give permission to distribute an unofficial executable as that would be piracy, but you could technically edit the default campaign file (which controls the mission text, character dialog, and ship hailing), replace it with the translations, and give it to people who own the game. We can't officially condone it, but it could be a temporary solution, like an unofficial mod, if you want to get some of the text to Russian speakers before we do localization.

For your sake, however, we do recommend waiting for an official translation, as most of the game's text is the dialog and missions (which combined is probably somewhere around 70,000 words, give or take). But thank you again for wanting to help, and I hope this clarifies!
I'm doing the translation in the files Assembly-CSharp.dll and resources.assets. Their distribution is the very distribution of mods. No other executable files I touch and do not change and do not distribute. Thank you for understanding. This is certainly a temporary measure, as many Russian-speaking players are "afraid" of the English text.