Unofficial Weekly Discussion #1: Player Races

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
EngBot

Unofficial Weekly Discussion #1: Player Races

Post by EngBot » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Welcome to the start of what will hopefully become a series of discussions about all aspects of Pulsar.

This first weeks discussion is going to be about the various playable races of Pulsar.
Strengths, Weaknesses, etc.

Please remember to be nice and friendly.
Breaker of all the things

EngBot

Re: Unofficial Weekly Discussion #1: Races

Post by EngBot » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Humans: Jack of all trades, master of none, and killed by everything. The only race to require oxygen. All this seems to be negatives, but It's still the nicest race to play as when starting. You'll learn quickly what is and isn't dangerous as you travel the galaxy, then forget.

Sylvassi: The stealthy alien race that can slip by enemies and defenses with ease, so long as fire doesn't kill them. Engine Sludge is yummy to them for some reason.

Robots: basically walking exosuits that don't gain health from consuming food & drink, but who needs to heal when you're already dead. *Personal Favorite*

Warning: post may seem negative, but I enjoy each race.
Breaker of all the things

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Unofficial Weekly Discussion #1: Player Races

Post by Edinstein » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm

I changed your title to say Player Races, seeing as how we have ship racing sectors in the game.

There was a pretty neat suggestion for adding a larger stamina pool to humans (based on endurance hunting and the ability to sweat).

It's been received pretty well on our side and could be an additional bonus (seeing as the general consensus is that they may have too many disadvantages).

Also, Sylvassi shouldn't be able to drink engine sludge and not get hurt, that should only be for Robots. I'll make a note to look into that!

Kimberly McBlaze

Post by Kimberly McBlaze » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Since robots are machines, they technically can have infinite stamina, for as long as their batteries (and also their motors and other hardware) can last anyway. Also, robots require routine maintenance and re-oiling of certain parts too, hence the existence of "engine sludge". Oh, wait... isn't engine sludge bad for engines? LOL! Well, I suppose we can pretend it's a brand name for an oil product in Pulsar...

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Engine sludge being able to heal robots was more of an easter egg, since drinking it is supposed to be dangerous for the other races. While the lore-wise logic regarding robots and stamina might be a little skewed, it's still a game, and we want to try to have equal incentives to play all races.

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:15 am

I'm totally new so don't know much, but I've been playing as a robot with an all-robot crew. I think they've got some good pros and cons compared to other races:

Pros:
* No need for exosuits
* Can shut off life support to have extra power. This is nice early in the game when you've got a weak, starter reactor.
* Because O2 is shut off, fires quickly go out by themselves so you can sell all your fire extinguishers for some extra starting cash. Also, it makes human boarders wear exosuits.

Cons:
* Can't buff with food and drink.

It seems to me that having an all-robot crew is a good strategy for early in the game, due to the extra power and spending money. However, once you get rich and upgrade your ship, these advantages become less important, although the fire-proofing and boarding defense features remain. But you're always going to be disadvantaged from an inability to buff, which might end up being more important down the road.

Kersakof
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Kersakof » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:53 am

I probably need to make it as a proper bug report, but I feel like the Sylvassi are the strongest right now. They have a cloak, you can turn off their damage vulnerability by shutting off the oxygen, and their tool tip about lower base armor is a lie. Just having a scanner out, you can see that they do not have lower base armor, and they are basically humans with a lot of benefits right now. Exosuit that doesn't impede movement, invisibility and the ability for guns to shoot through it without breaking it. https://puu.sh/CtT9t/af58b1cbc4.png

Two steam screenshots of a human's armor (viewed via scanner) and a Sylvassi's:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5D9BC6BEF/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2FF405E9E/

And there's also a good point for robots. Other than screens breaking, nothing really hurts them. The stability of a core usually isn't a problem due to coolant + fire extinguisher. The -40 HP can be offset with talents, which you inevitably have to sink into other talents than your crew talents so getting some HP offsets that. I think flavor wise Robots only being able to be repaired with a repair gun, and unable to eat anything (other than for robots specifically) would help differentiate the races.

Either that, or humans need something to make them better. The one time revive with 25 HP per jump is not worth skipping the benefits of the other two races. I only pick human right now because of the cosmetic options despite knowing the other two races are statistically better.

Ghost49X

Post by Ghost49X » Thu May 09, 2019 11:47 pm

I think the Robots are pretty strong with their immunity to everything. Especially since their vulnerability is easily fixed by talents.

I think that extreme heat should have a slowing effect on them as their CPU slows down to avoid frying.

Also their vulnerability should also include 50% less health from talents making their low health pool matter well into late game.

On the other hand the Sylvassi disadvantage could be more balanced if extreme heat and fire were more present throughout the game.