Discussion about 'worst' enemy types

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Kersakof
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Discussion about 'worst' enemy types

Post by Kersakof » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 am

Currently, I have a couple gripes about a few enemies and I'd like some feedback if 'this is just me' or not.
Two of the end game sector bosses feel like a gimmick, and shock drones.

Starting off with the Swarm, I feel like getting one of the most powerful main turrets in the game is way too you 100% win or you 100% lose. For example, simply getting racing thrusters and a +5 extinguisher makes you win this fight. You don't even have to upgrade your main turret, just have decent shields for the keeper's lasers. If your pilot can maneuver well (and I can, despite never piloting, which goes to say how easy it is to get a reward) you just win. It's just a matter of time before you wittle them down from a distance with your main turret, and reap the over powered reward from it.

Second, the Ancient Sentry. I love the first time I fought this boss since my Captain accidentally plotted a course through it, but after that the feeling of this being an ancient and mysterious being wore off. The constant system shut downs do not make this boss fun. Losing control of the entire ship, rather than weapons or shields suddenly going offline is just a big middle finger to the people playing on it. I'm assuming the corrupted virus it sends out does this, but since it just KEEPS doing it, I feel like there's no counterplay to it. I could be mistaken on this one and I apologize if I do, but it feels frustrating to fight against.

Similar to the Ancient Sentry, Shock Drones do too much all at once. There is one bounty mission I hate with a passion, simply because it has shock drones along with lightning turrets for a terrible bounty cost. Having the entire ship dead in the water because of one stray blast is not fun to fight against, and encourages people to either avoid the enemy entirely, or spend 30 minutes keeping the drones at range while abusing the fact player main turrets don't have a range limit. I'd be fine if they ate through shields and had a secondary weapon that was good against hull, or something along those lines, but flat out "none of your subsystems work now" is too hard of a CC to manage.

Please feel free to comment down below if I am not taking the fights at a more serious angle, I missed something, or otherwise!

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Re: Discussion about 'worst' enemy types

Post by Edinstein » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate it. We'll likely be taking several passes at sector commanders, missions, and overall balance before we release version 1.0. It's quite possible that some of these enemies, particularly sector commanders that we released quite a while ago, are unbalanced at this time. To be clear, however, none of the sector bosses will be required to be defeated in order to complete the game (the Lost Colony campaign, which is not yet in the game.)