Thoughts on power use

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
EngBot

Thoughts on power use

Post by EngBot » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:20 pm

The following may be slightly strange, uncommon, or confusing.

I want there to be consequences for trying to draw more power than the reactor can supply. Something small like gaining more heat or becoming unstable faster. I see way to many engineers running everything at full power with just a fire ext, the highest power required comps just play hot potato with the power while the eng does nothing. Keeper Beam (21800 MW) with phase turrets (14000 MW) should consume a reactor with their power usage, and thats at lvl 1 at max they take 61040 and 39200 respectively.

heat idea (yes I know its crazy): for every 10% of total power you are attempting to overdraw you gain 25% more heat, with max of 200% more heat

stability idea: for every 25% overdrawn you lose stability 100% faster if/when overheating

By overdrawn I mean that you are trying to use more than 100% of a reactors total power. you don't get to use anything past 100%

I highly doubt that anything close to my listed ideas would be added, however I would love to see something that stops the current trend of just handing the eng a +5 (or higher) fire ext and walking away.
Breaker of all the things