Thoughts on power use

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
EngBot

Thoughts on power use

Post by EngBot » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:20 pm

The following may be slightly strange, uncommon, or confusing.

I want there to be consequences for trying to draw more power than the reactor can supply. Something small like gaining more heat or becoming unstable faster. I see way to many engineers running everything at full power with just a fire ext, the highest power required comps just play hot potato with the power while the eng does nothing. Keeper Beam (21800 MW) with phase turrets (14000 MW) should consume a reactor with their power usage, and thats at lvl 1 at max they take 61040 and 39200 respectively.

heat idea (yes I know its crazy): for every 10% of total power you are attempting to overdraw you gain 25% more heat, with max of 200% more heat

stability idea: for every 25% overdrawn you lose stability 100% faster if/when overheating

By overdrawn I mean that you are trying to use more than 100% of a reactors total power. you don't get to use anything past 100%

I highly doubt that anything close to my listed ideas would be added, however I would love to see something that stops the current trend of just handing the eng a +5 (or higher) fire ext and walking away.
Breaker of all the things

justinjah91

Re: Thoughts on power use

Post by justinjah91 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Yeah the fire extinguisher thing needs to go. It's sooo cheesy.

Venom

Post by Venom » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:59 pm

I think the fire extinguisher thing is a cool idea, but in practice it makes it a little too easy to manage the reactor temperature.

Maybe using the extinguisher and fire killer grenades could do non repairable damage to engineering section. Only letting the reactor cool-down to zero would let you repair that damage. Or maybe jumping to reset it.

So in a pinch you could use the fire extinguisher or fire killers to cool off, but it would be at a penalty until you could get out of combat or whatever situation your in that requires such drastic measures. That would certainly put a limit on just keeping the engineer with a brick on the mouse pointed at the reactor.

As a side note though, I think heat generation and the coolant use would have to be re-balanced a bit since that would be the only reliable way to cool off the reactor when its getting fully used.

Crashdummy11880

Post by Crashdummy11880 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:51 am

The principle of cooling a reactor with a fireextinguisher is just stupid. I want that go away.

Make them single use only, or give them kind of ammo clips, or maybe a cooldown time.

Once in a Jump you can use every fireextinguisher like 20 sec. but then people will hoard fireextinguishers.

Edinstein
Leafy Developer
Leafy Developer

Post by Edinstein » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

We’ll have a discussion with the team about what we want to do with the fire extinguisher, but it does seem like in its current state it might be hurting more than helping.

Ghost49X

Post by Ghost49X » Thu May 09, 2019 11:39 pm

How about having ship designs with multiple reactors each with their own temperature?
But yes the whole fire extinguisher thing is cheesy.