Keeping the Warp Drive charged up.

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
Ghost49X

Keeping the Warp Drive charged up.

Post by Ghost49X » Sun May 12, 2019 1:19 am

People seem to want the Warp Drive constantly ready to jump. And I was thinking that there should be a disadvantage to this. So far it only costs power or jumps your EM signal when charging yet while holding the charge everything goes back to normal. Meaning ships can go into battle with a fully charged drive without consequences past the early charge part.

Fluff wise, it would be incredibly difficult to finish the warp calculations. Then move around a bunch as you brawl with enemies and not have to recalculate the math upon which you jump light years away.

Warp Drives should cost a baseline of power when fully charged (less than charging but still something to keep the drive running). Also the signal increase from the drive should remain as long as the charge is held.

Furthermore the Warp Jump calculation should be reset if you move. While the calculation and Warp Drive charging could still happen at the same time, it would typically go Charge Drive > align & stop moving > Warp Calculation > Final Prep > Jump.

maplealmond
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Keeping the Warp Drive charged up.

Post by maplealmond » Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm

The warp drive charge system as it exists right now is fairly primitive. It works, but engineers are far too likely to want to charge the drive right away because there is no penalty for doing so.

Because warping is so common, I'd honestly love to see a redesign that gets everyone involved. Well, everyone but weapons. My ideal warp drive mechanic would be as follows.

1.) Captain enters in a location to jump to on the map.
2.) Science officer runs a jump calculation. Jump calculations cannot be run without a navigation.
3.) Engineer powers the jump drive. Once at full power, the ship is ready to jump. The drive power charges a little faster than it does currently, but once powered, it needs to be used.
4.) If the pilot is pointed at the warp node, they can activate the warp. The actual final activation belongs to the pilot, as it should be.

This would mean going to warp would require everyone to sync up, instead of it just being a case of pilot pointing at the node and sitting back until engineering says ready.

CaptMaverick

Post by CaptMaverick » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:31 pm

interesting ideas! Theres definitely more fun to be had with warping!

as I mainly play with 2 people, requiring multiple roles every jump might make it more tricky for smaller teams.

Another possible fix would be:

the warp calculation has a 10 second countdown that begins as soon as its calculated? That way you'd only spin up the jump drives when you are about to leave.

Its not as satisfying in the logic of space travel as the earlier ideas, but its also a pretty simple and robust mechanic to use.

Extra world building flavour ideas:

You can't click the calculation button unless the captain has chosen a warp point on the map (or had one pre-chosen as part of a longer journey)

Powering up the jump drives uses loads of energy so that you have to be careful when you do it

(However there should continue to be a way to calculate jumps on auxiliary power, that way if you eject your core you can still jump away)

infinite_awesomeness

Post by infinite_awesomeness » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:05 pm

maplealmond wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm
The warp drive charge system as it exists right now is fairly primitive. It works, but engineers are far too likely to want to charge the drive right away because there is no penalty for doing so.

Because warping is so common, I'd honestly love to see a redesign that gets everyone involved. Well, everyone but weapons. My ideal warp drive mechanic would be as follows.

2.) Science officer runs a jump calculation. Jump calculations cannot be run without a navigation.
3.) Engineer powers the jump drive. Once at full power, the ship is ready to jump. The drive power charges a little faster than it does currently, but once powered, it needs to be used.
4.) If the pilot is pointed at the warp node, they can activate the warp. The actual final activation belongs to the pilot, as it should be.

This would mean going to warp would require everyone to sync up, instead of it just being a case of pilot pointing at the node and sitting back until engineering says ready.
I second this idea, it does take more effort but if you're playing with only two players, maybe there could be another Captain command/directive called "prepare for warp" or "begin jump sequence" that makes the bots do all the preparations for warp in the absence of players.

Zooltan

Post by Zooltan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:01 am

maplealmond wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm

I like this approach. Right now warping feels a little too simplt and I'd love to see more cooperative tasks.

When it comes to small crews, as long as the bots know what to do, then it won't make much of a difference (Unless you are flying a small crew without bots, but I guess that's not what the game is designed for)

Venom

Post by Venom » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:28 am

Maybe they could break down the warp drive into different things each role has to do.

First the captain plots a course on the star map. The science officer has to calculate a route for the jump which shows the pilot which way to point the ship when its finished. The HUD for the pilot is changed to clearly show which way to point the ship with markers showing which way to turn the ship.

The science officer could calculate multiple jumps at a time, and it would take power and time as it does now to plot each jump.

Once the ship is lined up the Engineer starts the warp drive which powers up faster than it does now, and jumps the ship once it finishes.

If the pilot isn't pointed at the system its trying to jump to, the warp drive will stall and continue to use a massive amount of power until the ship is lined up again, where it will attempt to immediately jump the ship upon lining up. The engineer can cancel the warp jump to stop the power drain as well.

In the case of the emergency jump there is still a charge time, but the ship is immobile while charging the drive, and it jumps to a random destination after jumping as it does now. The only change is you can't move while using the emergency jump feature and you have to wait for the drive to charge up now.

This makes jumping a little more interactive for players and still able to be automated with the bots if need be.