Review of 0.28d

Discussion about PULSAR: Lost Colony including talking about factions, classes, ship systems, playstyles, etc.
PoshTortoise
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Review of 0.28d

Post by PoshTortoise » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:18 pm

*DISCLAIMER: I KNOW ITS ALPHA AND I AM HAPPY WITH THE GAME. I JUST WANT TO TRY AND HELP THE DEVELOPERS*

The good: I will start with the new stuff. I like the new enemy which provides sufficient threat to the player and the lay out of the new HUD is very neat. Being able to see the enemy system integrity adds a new level of strategy so I know when to target another system. Taking out the lighting effects from missile bombardment is also good because that ruined the immersion. Looking outside the window and seeing huge objects floating by from a bygone age is still awesome. I had a great moment when I was playing just now when the hull of my ship was at 32 damage and we had to charge our warp drive to escape. Once the shields were almost at zero I could feel my heart racing while looking at the warp charging and as soon as it had completed I must have destroyed my mouse by clicking the warp button so hard. That was awesome. It was like living through a Battlestar Galactica episode!

The bad: There are still a few sync issues so I dont feel like I am helping my fellow crew because I can not repair anything so I am rendered as useless as a duck with no limbs and a heroine problem. The enemy movement paths especially for the new drone look bizarre and how it moves looks so weird that it takes me out of the experience. The sound effects for the impacts also took me out of the experience due to the poor sound quality. It felt slightly more strategic than the previous build given that I could see the status of what I was shooting at but it still was lacking. Therefore after a few jumps I was bored because the battles were of the same nature.

*I know its going to be more interesting after lifesupport and science are fully implemented*

The ugly (my suggestions:) Again I think it would be wise to gut the current energy system because its difficult to balance and adopt the FTL system. By this I mean remove the percentages and have energy in units. Powering the guns would be one unit per gun and powering the life support would be one unit. This would be really simple and I think a great way to make the gameplay interesting. It will be easier to balance weaponry because at the moment all weapons will use the same energy and do the same damage because its a percentage but if its energy units then a simple gun will be one unit and a powerful gun will be 3 units of energy. Also if shields were attached to science or another installation so we can target it with our weapons and take it out, which would add to the strategic elements of the game

I hope the review is useful and that others agree.

-A very posh tortoise

zanyquack
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester

Re: Review of 0.28d

Post by zanyquack » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:22 pm

i like the idea of adding in the FTL energy bar units rather than the normal percent. That way, you can never exceed the energy power of the reactor and only have a handful of systems running. I have yet to try the new version so i must make sure to soon. Keep up the good work, Devs!
SHADOW OF HODOR

Ethaninja

Re: Review of 0.28d

Post by Ethaninja » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:47 am

Aye I agree with this. Love the credit system they have now :D Except, Spoiler!! They have added BEAM WEAPONS!! :D :D But, they are costly, and you don't have the credits for them to start off with. But the drones do! And they will FUCK YO UP!! xD